PROJECT DOAD

Pages: first 1234 next last
Because game pages can only go so far.

~~~ Story ~~~

You are The Kid. You want to be The Guy. To become The Guy you must kill The Gu- Oh wait, wrong game.

It is the morning after a relatively wild party at the Hakurei Shrine last night, in which the resident oni, Suika Ibuki had just a bit too much to drink. Suika wakes up with a killer headache and a upset stomach, but remembers that she has errands to run for a friend. She goes to retrieve her trusty gourd. One of which holds an infinite amount of sake...

...Only to find that her gourd is missing. This wakes her up more than any medicine or alarm clock ever could. Now in a panic with nearly all rational thought nonexistant, Suika rushes off to find her precious gourd. Hilarity ensues.

~~~ Characters ~~~

~ Suika Ibuki ~

The main character. Her gourd was stolen the night before, and now she's frantically searching for it wherever it may be.

~ Marisa Kirisame ~

Considering Marisa's reputation for stea-I mean, borrowing things, she's the first person Suika goes after. But could she actually be innocent this time?

~ Aya Shameimaru ~

Suika runs into Aya after interrogating Marisa. Aya seems to already know about her search, which raises Suika's suspicion.

"Remilia Scarlet"

Suika goes off to see Remilia as part of Aya's possibly bogus advice. Remilia of course has no idea what is going on, but decides to have fun with the situation anyway.

~~~ Game System and Controls ~~~

Arrow Keys: Move Suika around. You can walk in eight directions.

C Key: This will make Suika attack. Press the C Key up to three times to unleash a three hit combo. The last blow send out a shockwave to hit foes that may be a bit further back. Holding C and then releasing it will cause Suika to use her charged skill 'Oni Dense'

Z Key: This will make Suika defend. Defending reduces all damage to zero. You can be guard broken, you can be attacked from behind, and then some things, you just cannot defend against. The Dash Bar turns into a Guard Bar when defending, which lowers upon each defended hit and when emptied, you will be guard broken and take damage.

D Key: This will make Suika use a Bomb/Spellcard 'Oni Sign - Oni Gathering' You can hold a max of ten bombs and each use costs one point.

A Key: Hold A to dash. The Dash Bar continually goes down while A is held and slowly refills when free. When the Dash Bar empties, then Suika will be forced to walk till there is enough meter to dash again.

Double Tap A: This will make Suika do a backtep. All attacks will be dodged during a backstep.

Alt: This will activate Suika's Last Spell, assuming it's available.

Power and Point Items: Power items come in two sizes, large and small. Small power items restore 200 Health, Large ones recover 500 Health. Point items grant you two bombs.

~~~What people are going to look at first~~~

~~~Download~~~

The Game: http://www.savefile.com/files/2013768
Should be standalone. I haven't gotten any complaints about it, so I'd assume it is.

The Font: http://www.savefile.com/files/1979347
Add this to your windows font folder if you don't have Perpetua
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
"With Reimu doll at night"... I know that scenario... all too well. :-[

I like your chipsets. They look kind of Oceany, I must say. I haven't played any TH in a while so this should serve as my monthly Marisa fix. ^^
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I despise the art style of this project.

I am not saying anything about the technical prowess of the art, just the style.

It is a very big turn-off for me.
Okay, I'm sorry, what the...?!

Someone releases a complete game, though short, and instead of feedback no how it plays we just get some feedback about the art based on the screens?

I HAVE played this game (though during an earlier stage and only the first level) and not playing it because of the art style is like saying "OMG I dun like ur game 'cuz it looks too vX lol."

I look forward to playing more of this and hope others give it a try too.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
It is the morning after a relatively wild party at the Hakurei Shrine last night, in which the resident oni, Suika Ibuki had just a bit too much to drink. Suika wakes up with a killer headache and a upset stomach, but remembers that she has errands to run for a friend. She goes to retrieve her trusty gourd. One of which holds an infinite amount of sake...

...Only to find that her gourd is missing. This wakes her up more than any medicine or alarm clock ever could. Now in a panic with nearly all rational thought nonexistant, Suika rushes off to find her precious gourd. Hilarity ensues.

I would not play a game with this premise regardless of what it looked like.

Someone releases a complete game, though short, and instead of feedback no how it plays we just get some feedback about the art based on the screens?

Bro everyone does this with everything why single ME out?
author=Ciel link=topic=3208.msg63241#msg63241 date=1235448827
"With Reimu doll at night"... I know that scenario... all too well. :-[

I like your chipsets. They look kind of Oceany, I must say. I haven't played any TH in a while so this should serve as my monthly Marisa fix. ^^

Thanks. Ocean did help on the chipsets. Namely the trees. They were ghastly looking before he made new ones, but the rest of the tileset work is mine.

Ocean also made all of the enemy attack frames while I make their base movement frames.

author=Max McGee link=topic=3208.msg63245#msg63245 date=1235449474
I despise the art style of this project.

I am not saying anything about the technical prowess of the art, just the style.

It is a very big turn-off for me.

I respect your opinion and I won't fault you for it. In my opinion though, I find this to be utterly ridiculous. Isn't it the gameplay that should be the focus? The artwork is just a tool to convey the story.

Also, if you don't want to stare at the 'kawaii desu animu *A*' artwork. There is a perfectly functional scene skip system to save you from the torture, and allow you to play the game mostly uninterrupted.

author=Max McGee link=topic=3208.msg63252#msg63252 date=1235450565
I would not play a game with this premise regardless of what it looked like.

Based on what I've seen of you throughout the years, I understand perfectly that your preferences lie in other genres, and more profound stories.

I know this will not cater to your particular tastes. But it's not really trying to. The story for this game is a simple vehicle to move the main character from place to place and facilitate gameplay. Basically, this is not an RPG. At all.

All that said. I'm not going to fault you or anyone else who sees the artwork and passes it over, but once again, I say: Gameplay, not graphics.
Iji has horrible graphics and story-wise which is a mixed bag I Don't see how it deters the game in anyway if the gameplay is good :V

I just find your point ridiculous max, it's like I won't play your game since it's rtp and to think everyone was craving for something new other than rtp.

@Skie, I find this game hard, I suck at ABS games :(
Ahhh this is so tough! I must suck at these games. I have never played a Touhou so uh...I guess I don't know what to expect?

I love it though, it is very challenging and smooth. Being somewhat of an explorer, I went around the maps looking for stuff thinking this game would reward me for doing so, but I never found anything. I think that is one of the things that is causing me to die a lot, of course this is mostly my fault. =/

I'm gonna give this a try with my gamepad and see if it is compatible or not.
edit: okay it is. Now how do I beat Remilia!?
author=Neophyte link=topic=3208.msg63268#msg63268 date=1235459825
Ahhh this is so tough! I must suck at these games. I have never played a Touhou so uh...I guess I don't know what to expect?

I love it though, it is very challenging and smooth. Being somewhat of an explorer, I went around the maps looking for stuff thinking this game would reward me for doing so, but I never found anything. I think that is one of the things that is causing me to die a lot, of course this is mostly my fault. =/

I'm gonna give this a try with my gamepad and see if it is compatible or not.
edit: okay it is. Now how do I beat Remilia!?

Well, if I have people exploring maps like that, then it would be rude to not reward them. I'll have something set up for next time, heh.

Remi:
Remilia is pretty easy once you get her pattern down. It's basically a matter of avoiding the scarlet explosions she sends out in two directions and either A) moving in for a short combo or two before slipping away again, or B) finding a good spot and then bombing her.

If you stay close to her for too long, she'll start tossing out bombs, tracking pentagrams, and fireballs. The fireball does a nice chunk of damage. So you might want to stay away from that if at all possible.

If you can, try not to use your Last Spell too early if you have it. You'll probably want to use it to finish her off in an easy fashion instead of slipping up right at the last moment and then getting killed.
author=Archeia_Nessiah link=topic=3208.msg63260#msg63260 date=1235454604
Iji has horrible graphic

Disagreed here.

The graphics in Iji are quite good, just not in screenshots. They look great in motion.

Anyway, back on topic...

I'll give this game a shot, strange artwork notwithstanding, long spaghetti arms and all.

My biggest complaint is actually with the combat screen, though. That menu looks really busy and cluttered.

But yeah, I'll still give it a try.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I must stand with Max, here. Not playing a game because of the art is perfectly valid. Gameplay IS the focus of a game, and I've defended that many times (NUMBERS) but seriously if you don't want to get to the gameplay based on the story (what the hell?) and art (like Max said, it is not BAD art but just not my taste)... Ganging up on Max is NOT okay here.

While I dislike the serene green grass, the actual tileset looks pretty nice. Playing as a drunk twelve-year-old with curly ears does not interest me, sadly. :<

EDIT:
And Iji's graphics were incredible when you played, yes.
Craze brings up a good point. Concept is a pretty big deal when considering your target audience.

Should we, as players, totally ignore the art and storytelling in lieu of the gameplay? Is it even POSSIBLE to ignore the audio without turning it off? Then why bother with all the custom graphics in the first place?

Sure, art is in the game so that the player can interact with things outside of text. Sure, writing in games generally follows a linear progression, from point A to point B, and eventually to the end. But that's not all they are. Storytelling is what gets us invested in characters and places, and graphics are what allows us to experience the living, breathing world that the creator...created.

I think arguing that we should simply IGNORE these things in favor of gameplay is more ludicrous than whatever Max said. People experience it whether you want them to or not. Your art style and narrative already tells us a lot about the nature and character of the game, and Max was willing to admit it's the reason he won't play it. He won't be the only one that does this, and complaining to him about it is silly because you should be confident in the style and tone you have chosen for your game by now.

Honestly, I agree with Max for the most part. The story is incredibly frivolous and approaches a level of 'animu stupidity' that would make it hard for me to approach it with any level of respect. While the graphics aren't bad (pretty pleasant compared to most I've seen), they reinforce this aura of overwhelming anime cuteness that we have all seen before and many of us are sick of. Maybe caring about Touhou games makes a difference. I dunno. I'll still try it myself.

But don't all gang-up on Max just because he told us how he feels about it. It won't change anything.
author=Karsuman link=topic=3208.msg63474#msg63474 date=1235560153
Anyway, back on topic...

I'll give this game a shot, strange artwork notwithstanding, long spaghetti arms and all.

My biggest complaint is actually with the combat screen, though. That menu looks really busy and cluttered.

But yeah, I'll still give it a try.

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback or opinions I can get.

author=Craze link=topic=3208.msg63475#msg63475 date=1235560540
I must stand with Max, here. Not playing a game because of the art is perfectly valid. Gameplay IS the focus of a game, and I've defended that many times (NUMBERS) but seriously if you don't want to get to the gameplay based on the story (what the hell?) and art (like Max said, it is not BAD art but just not my taste)... Ganging up on Max is NOT okay here.

I really don't know what to say on the matter of this anymore and it's irritating me.

I guess all I really have to say is that it's really not fair. It seems like I'm being prematurely judged, perhaps by more people than I realize, just because of the artwork. Rather than based on any merits the game may actually have in play.

Not to mention it's pretty pointless to hop into some topic and go 'Oh hay, I'm not going to play this because I despise the art style'. That does absolutely nothing for me. It's also a waste of time.

What if EXIT FATE had a 'shiny kawaii animu' art style rather than it's somewhat realistic style?

I digress though. This wasn't even about me defending anime at all. Really, I just want people to stop judging by mere looks and actually give things a chance.

author=Craze link=topic=3208.msg63475#msg63475 date=1235560540
While I dislike the serene green grass, the actual tileset looks pretty nice. Playing as a drunk twelve-year-old with curly ears does not interest me, sadly. :<

Oh well. Thanks for, uh, something I guess. Also, those are horns, not ears.

author=Karsuman link=topic=3208.msg63484#msg63484 date=1235562335
Craze brings up a good point. Concept is a pretty big deal when considering your target audience.

Should we, as players, totally ignore the art and storytelling in lieu of the gameplay? Is it even POSSIBLE to ignore the audio without turning it off? Then why bother with all the custom graphics in the first place?

Because seeing as how artwork is my field, I'd rather make my own stuff? The game is perfectly playable without paying much attention to the story. It IS an action game after all, but the game DOES tell a story or try to.

Sure, art is in the game so that the player can interact with things outside of text. Sure, writing in games generally follows a linear progression, from point A to point B, and eventually to the end. But that's not all they are. Storytelling is what gets us invested in characters and places, and graphics are what allows us to experience the living, breathing world that the creator...created.

I...really don't know. I understand that a story is much more than what I have said, but at it's basic level, that's what it is. Now I did not at all put THAT little effort into my characterizations and dialogue, but I'm not trying to be deep and...RPG-ish. I'm just doing what the story dictates for each stage.

I think arguing that we should simply IGNORE these things in favor of gameplay is more ludicrous than whatever Max said. People experience it whether you want them to or not. Your art style and narrative already tells us a lot about the nature and character of the game, and Max was willing to admit it's the reason he won't play it. He won't be the only one that does this, and complaining to him about it is silly because you should be confident in the style and tone you have chosen for your game by now.

Well then, this is quite a predicament. I guess I'm not at all confident in what I do now, am I? Actually, I know I'm not. I will be the first to admit to this.

I'm just worried about losing players due to my lack of...I don't know. What's the word I'm looking for...Oh forget it, I don't even know.

Honestly, I agree with Max for the most part. The story is incredibly frivolous and approaches a level of 'animu stupidity' that would make it hard for me to approach it with any level of respect.

Well this has pretty much reinforced my fears. I presented this game to the wrong audience.

Regarding the story. How is it 'animu stupidity'? Are children's storybooks 'animu stupidity' as well? What about every other classic children's story in this world?

While the graphics aren't bad (pretty pleasant compared to most I've seen), they reinforce this aura of overwhelming anime cuteness that we have all seen before and many of us are sick of.

Of course, this is exactly it. What was I thinking.

But don't all gang-up on Max just because he told us how he feels about it. It won't change anything.

Yeah, yeah. Sorry Max.

Edit: Damn, my head is spinning. This is not at all where I was expecting this to head. I've had enough debating. Let's...get back on topic.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Then I probably wouldn't have downloaded Exit Fate.

Also, it does tell you something: why your audience is limited.

As for the rest of your post, I've already discussed that so I'd rather not continue moving in circles.
I didn't mean to come across as harsh, Skie, if I did.

Don't worry so much. If you enjoy making games in a certain style, just go with it.

Just be aware of the consequences of the choices you make in regards to everything about your game, not just gameplay.

As for what I said about the storyline, it's just really base, y'know? There's no motivations besides an angry girl looking for a gourd and hounding other girls for information that will (presumably) allow her to get her gourd back. There's no real subtlety or spin on it. No moral or meaning.

Which is fine in the end, really, but story and writing buffs simply won't be as attracted to it.

(Edit: And FTR, the realistic facesets in Exit Fate are one of the few things I don't like about it in some capacity. The females are kinda creepy!)
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
For the record, I really hate anime. I think 98% of it is absolute shit and is a waste of time for everyone involved.

Even though I hate anime, your bizarre artwork is pretty cleanly made and I like that. I think the story is pretty ridiculous, but so are most stories.

My big beef is mainly that the interface isn't consistent. It is tiny in some spots and huge in others.
I don't think it was right to walk into the topic and say one line about the game and walk out, either. Clearly there was a lot of work put into this game. The same thing could be applied to almost any style of game (2D, RTP, rips, etc), but yes this has a very different style that most probably aren't used to and playing a game just for gameplay isn't what most players do. The game looks DIFFERENT than most of the other games here, which is a plus for me even if it's not my style. It's much better than seeing the same old graphics being used over and over again.

Okay sorry for continuing this, I would suggest making another topic to discuss these things. I do think the dialogue needs some improvement, that has never been your strong point, Skie. The character design also seems to be very one sided. There aren't any unique characters, and most look the same or have the same personality as another character. I don't mind the actual story itself, since it's really kind of like Mario where it's really just needed to get from point A to point B. And yes, the interface could have used a little bit of adjusting. The game is certainly very light hearted, which your games have always been if I remember correctly. It's a style that is surprisingly rare in the RM community.

Is Remi the last boss? I still can't win.

Also I just realized that I'm the only one other than Anaryu who has played the game and given thoughts on it. =|
Sorry for continuing this but Craze is using rm2k3 "animu shit" and yet people play his game and Karsuman (don't deny it) :V

I always believed that gameplay is what makes people play games and story is another factor, this is like mario where there's only save the goddamn princess and there's no really a story line since it caters as a platformer RPG (in this case Action) and this is way better than most XP games that are RTP or same graphics ripped from popular X game or pretty X game.

It's like the community is just there for themselves.

Although I do understand why some people don't like playing as a sober demon girl <_<;

@Neophyte, I played it and I beat remilia barely, I think it's the strategy walk around in circles dashing and using guard at the right time. Super's can be guarded for some reason.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Please show evidence to where Karsuman's game Harbinger and Craze's thousands of games use "animu shit".

Also, having original graphics is not a guarantee of quality. That is a sad argument.
RMVX RtP is anime :V
Iji's graphic are great in motion but quality wise of the sprites is ok I guess.(at least the guy isn't ambitious?)

The facesets used by craze are made by animu artists

<--This one

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :V
Pages: first 1234 next last