PROJECT DOAD

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
That fairy isn't even close to anime. The most you can say is that it is a cartoon. Second of all, that isn't even in a game. You can't say "Person A's game has animu bullshit!" when your example is merely a piece of artwork drawn that is unrelated to their game.

As for RM2k3's RTP, that is merely a square faceset. That is a long shot away from taking up half the screen with an anime figure.
Sorry for continuing this but Craze is using rm2k3 "animu shit" and yet people play his game and Karsuman (don't deny it) :V

If you are referring to my game, it has almost zero influence from anime in its entirety. I watch anime on a highly irregular basis and think 95% of it is garbage. Just like any other type of show.

Craze's games...you obviously haven't played them if you think they are inspired by anime. Seriously, it doesn't get much more NOT ANIME than that.

I always believed that gameplay is what makes people play games and story is another factor, this is like mario where there's only save the goddamn princess and there's no really a story line since it caters as a platformer RPG (in this case Action) and this is way better than most XP games that are RTP or same graphics ripped from popular X game or pretty X game.

Never compare a game to Mario. It's nothing like Mario. Half the reason Mario games succeed is because they HAVE Mario. Most Mario games don't even have real narratives and frequently contain no dialogue.

As for the graphics bit - like WIP said - graphics don't indicate quality. They do, however, have a certain look and give a certain feeling. Whether that's a look the player wants to experience is up to the PLAYER to decide.

It's like the community is just there for themselves.

This is the exact mentality you are defending. You are at least partially defending Skie because she is your friend. Sure, the game might be good, but as a guy who is very good friends with a fair few VERY productive developers(Harmonic, BadLuck, Craze, etc.), the urge to defend them when they are attacked is admittedly strong.

People need to learn to branch outside of this community. As developers, we get hung up on problems with eachother's games. But actual players don't care.

As for the fairy, it has no relation to Harbinger. Have you even played Harbinger? Do you honestly think I would use THAT in Harbinger?

Also, how the hell did you get that fairy picture anyway? Copy-pasted from #rpgmaker.net? More vague Wishmole-esque bullshit? :p
That fairy isn't even close to anime. The most you can say is that it is a cartoon

Unfortunately, I'm not the only one who thinks like that I live outside the rmn chatroom so who knows?

so your point is that we shouldn't bother with bust shots and just focus on a square face and make the eyes in our small sprites smaller so that it wouldn't be considered as an anime?

or is it just because skie is using a bust up shot it's already considered as a "horrible anime game?"

I only used that as a ref to show karsuman's art style, which means if he were to make an original game it will result he will have that kind of stuff instead of using VX rtp.

If by anything it's like, "I want people to play my game, but that's because I want actual critique, not something stupid like "lol it's anime I won't play it""

I know graphics is a big factor but after a while everyone is saying like this,
GAMEPLAY > GRAPHICS/STORY

then suddenly I see this

GRAPHICS/STORY > GAMEPLAY

the hell?

p.s.
This is the exact mentality you are defending. You are at least partially defending Skie because she is your friend. Sure, the game might be good, but as a guy who is very good friends with a fair few VERY productive developers(Harmonic, BadLuck, Craze, etc.), the urge to defend them when they are attacked is admittedly strong.

Hell no, I'm saying that because MAX said something like "THIS IS ANIME I WONT PLAY IT" I'm not saying the anime influence but artwork, because heck I draw anime so does this means because my art style is anime it's not going to be played? Must I have to draw realism to just make people play my game?

Well how about this, why was mario liked?
author=Archeia_Nessiah link=topic=3208.msg63571#msg63571 date=1235600458

then suddenly I see this

the hell?

PLEASE show me where I said this.

I'll give you a medal.
Are we almost done ruining the thread for a perfectly good game with this yet?

Can we put up a disclaimer on our threads: "Hi, I have original, hand-drawn, Anime-styled art in this project, if you don't like it please just leave the thread like a polite, mature person."

Someone put a ton of work into this, got it done in 2 months, and all I'm seeing is a thread full of unrelated posts.

I mean really, is this how RMN supports people who post completed games?

If they wanted comments on their screenshots, they'd post it in the screenshot thread. Oh wait, we're 'discussing' again, aren't we? If this was my thread I'd feel sick, disappointed, and NOT like posting any of my work in a thread here again.

If anyone is having trouble downloading from Save File I hosted the game file at:

http://anamei.net/files/games/Project_DOAD.rar
author=Karsuman link=topic=3208.msg63572#msg63572 date=1235600697
author=Archeia_Nessiah link=topic=3208.msg63571#msg63571 date=1235600458

then suddenly I see this

the hell?

PLEASE show me where I said this.

I'll give you a medal.

wait forgive my bad english but that isn't directed to you.

I would not play a game with this premise regardless of what it looked like.

Max AND Craze AND RMXP.org (despite that most of the games have anime faces on them =_=) are saying they won't play the game because it has anime shit and the story isn't the focus of the game for an Action RPG
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=3208.msg63576#msg63576 date=1235601208
The style of anime in the RM2K3 RTP is completely different to the one used in Project DOAD. Therefore, a comparison between the two is about as valid as comparing The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy with Steamboat Willie. What I will say about this game is that the style of drawing used reminds me of The World Ends With You, which is possibly the best RPG released in recent years...

@Anaryu:

Graphics are as much a part of a game as the gameplay is, and although we all know that what matters most is whether or not a game is fun we also have to consider that, for some people, having bad graphics can detract from the "fun-factor" no matter how good the gameplay is. Fun does not equate directly to gameplay.

Yes, so please play it and come back and tell us if the art ruined it for you. And if the art is something you hate so actively, just don't play it.
Considering the artwork isn't pasted all over in the game as well and only appears like in what...cutscenes?

Basically...
Anime mugshots destroys gameplay so it sucks?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
As far as I know, RMN has always encouraged outrageous bitching about every aspect of a game. If you don't like anime-influenced games, I see no wrong in posting that you do not.

What I do take offense in is mud slinging between people because of said opinion. I think Max had every right to say "Hey I hate the art style for this game". Skie put her foot forward showing off her artwork and someone didn't like it. No big deal.

Ness, you are digging a bigger hole in this thread. So please stop commanding the Skie Defense Force with outrageous claims.

For the record, I am going to play this later when I get home. I recommend anyone who hasn't do so as well.

Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I played this earlier. All of the scenes can be skipped so if you really don't like the story or the artwork, it can all be skipped and you don't have to see it.

I think the map design could be improved, because most of them were straight forward maps and doesn't encourage much exploration, especially with the amount of enemies present. I think it wasn't meant to be a big part of the game but it'd be nice to have more variation in the tiles and the map design itself. Perhaps less enemies to deal with as well.
well if someone needs perfectly valid review:

The game is epicly hard, there are a lot of times I Want to throw it out at skie and shout at her to make it easier since I'm bad at ABS games.

however to close down this hole I understand now that this is the kind of reception for people who work hard and mind their artwork so I apologize for being optimistic that people do care for someone's hard work :|
I'm an anime fan, even if it is cool to hate it these days. I use anime tropes fairly consistently and if you don't like it, you won't like my games either. That's life and I'm not changing. That being said, is there a Touhou anime? I'd be all over it if there was.

Since there's no Eirin, Yukari Yakumo, or Yuyuko in this game, no play for me.
WIP
author=Archeia_Nessiah link=topic=3208.msg63583#msg63583 date=1235602517
well if someone needs perfectly valid review:

The game is epicly hard, there are a lot of times I Want to throw it out at skie and shout at her to make it easier since I'm bad at ABS games.

however to close down this hole I understand now that this is the kind of reception for people who work hard and mind their artwork so I apologize for being optimistic that people do care for someone's hard work :|
People care about work. That doesn't mean people are obligated to like it, so please stop confusing the two.

author=iishenron link=topic=3208.msg63584#msg63584 date=1235602738
I'm an anime fan, even if it is cool to hate it these days. I use anime tropes fairly consistently and if you don't like it, you won't like my games either. That's life and I'm not changing.
For the record, your game is one that I am most excited to play.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
It Karsu's fairy is animu, then I'm Charles Bronson.
No WIP, I'm just saying since people confuse my artwork and skie's artwork, then this means people won't play the game because of our anime mugshots and don't care about the actual gameplay so touche. Not saying they should be obligated to like it.

@harmonic, one word, dudesoft or frankie.
WIP
I don't see what people confusing your artwork and Skie's makes a difference, Ness.

Nobody else bring this shit up until more people have played the damn game.
How about this:
People (as in a lot of places) confuse my artwork with skie and think I drew for Skie's DOAD and the reception for her game is that I won't play your game since it uses anime mugshots therefore the game is crap since it's anime influenced seeing how that happens a lot and me and skie are getting confused once I post my game there they'll do the same reception to me and I don't want that so that's why I'm deleting all of them not a big loss anyway, I just hate that kind of initial reaction.

So goodbye !
WIP
So a question: how does this run on everyone's machine? And is the movement pixel-based?