FAVORITE FILMS.

Pages: first 1234 next last
I am a complete film nut and I watch like 4-5 of them every week. Anyways, I just thought I'd share some of my favorites and give a little comment as to why I like them. (These aren't necessarily my top 3, just my favorite and 2 I really like.)

================================================================

Paranoid Park: - Gus Van Sant

"Nobody's ever ready for Paranoid Park."
Paranoid Park tells the simple story of a young skater trying to fit in. He ends up, basically, being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Van Sant presents it through a dreamy style as the main character is placed into a confused state as he tries to understand and comprehend what he has done, and yet is unable to communicate his feelings to anyone. The film and characters are incredibly real, easily being one of the most relateable films I have ever seen. After all, who doesn't have "oh-crap-I-didn't-mean-for-that-to-happen" moments?

La Haine - Mathieu Kassovitz

"We learned in school that hatred breeds hatred!"
This black-and-white French film blew me away. I cannot understand how Kassovitz went on to direct the crapfest of Babylon A.D. (Although he did reveal that he disliked Babylon A.D.) Anyways, La Haine (French for The Hate) tells the story of three young friends after an enormous riot in which a young man is beaten into a coma by the cops. The film explores each of their different viewpoints to the situation the day after the riot, from the vengeful one whose mindset is distorted by anger, to the one who is openly repulsed by the violence but cannot leave. Centered around the life idea of "hatred breeds hatred," La Haine is a modern masterpiece.

Oldboy: -

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."
My favorite film and the best revenge movie ever. A Korean film, Oldboy tells the story of a drunken man who is brought to a police station. His friend comes to bail him out and makes a phone call in which the main character vanishes. Vanishes for 15 years that is, and comes back with one thing in mind: vengeance, which he is given 5 days to complete. This film holds nothing back. You will not see an American film like this. There is none of that comedy that lightens the audience due to disturbing content. It is violent, painful, depressing, and yet ties in themes of salvation and redemption. Rarely ever do we see violence paired with actual meaning. Although the premise and plot is fairly improbable, it is a film after all, and can be allowed to stretch the boundaries of reality.(Be warned, this movie is pretty dark and probably requires a stronger stomach! Although not nearly as anywhere as depressing or disturbing as the other two movies in its trilogy.) Ebert: "...powerful film not because of what it depicts, but because of the depths of the human heart which it strips bare."

What about you guys?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I really like Oldboy.

Three of my favorite movies of all time, are, in no particular order:

Versus

Aliens

Reservoir Dogs

The best movies I've seen in the last couple years were There Will Be Blood, In Bruges, Funny Games, Slumdog Millionaire, Rocknrolla, and Gran Torino. I might expand more on this topic later but for now I'm just listing crap.

Also I pretty much eat up anything by that loveable whacko Takashi Miike.

author=Max McGee link=topic=3212.msg63267#msg63267 date=1235458274
I really like Oldboy.

Three of my favorite movies of all time, are, in no particular order:

Versus

Hell yeah! That movie is so hilarious. My favorite moment? "Your slow bullets can hit me." Or whatever. ;D

American Beauty and Shaolin Soccer are the two movies that come to the top of my head right now. Reservoir Dogs is pretty awesome too and sadly underappreciated especially compared to Pulp Fiction. Mr. Blonde was pretty badass.
My favorite movie of all time is The Princess Bride

It is filled with great dialog, clever scenes and memorable characters. Plus, it has Andre the Giant. I can't really put my finger on why I love this movie so much, but I've never liked a movie (or watched another movie as many times) as this one.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Princess Bride, American Beauty, and Pulp Fiction are all classics.

Hard Candy is a good film that I don't really have a read on because I've only seen it once.

I like Ghost In The Shell, but I don't really see what the big deal is about it. It's no Akira (another of my ALL TIME FAVORITE movies).

Die Hard is a decent action movie held back by Alan Rickman's awful German accent (although his American accent as faked by his supposedly German character is relatively decent).

Burn After Reading is amazingly great. I <3 the CIA whenever they are portrayed even somewhat realistically. The CIA director guy is my favorite.

The Final Fantasy movie, in hindsight, was pretty awful, although I did see them in theaters at the time.
I like a movie called Star Wars. It's a Sci-fi fantasy movie from the late seventies. It's about a boy that goes into space and shoots bad guys. It probably sounds lame but I'll be damned if it isn't the awesomest thing. You should all at least give it a watch. The special effects are gorgeous even after thirty years (I think it beats out 2001 a Space Odyssey and with lots less budget)

Star Wars has a bunch of sequels too that I'd also recommend. There's a couple of prequels that are a bit newer that mightn't be as great but does still have some good moments in them.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=kentona link=topic=3212.msg63289#msg63289 date=1235488027
My favorite movie of all time is The Princess Bride

It is filled with great dialog, clever scenes and memorable characters. Plus, it has Andre the Giant. I can't really put my finger on why I love this movie so much, but I've never liked a movie (or watched another movie as many times) as this one.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

The book (at least William Goldman's abridgement (he also wrote the screenplay)) is even better, kentona. But yeah, this is my favorite movie too.
Yes, I have the book also. I ever read the (long) preface! Excellent book.

Basically, when William was sick with pneunomia as a kid, his dad read him The Princess Bride (the original work by Morgenstern). William loved it. Little did he know, though, was that his dad only read the "good parts". He didn't find that out until years later when he tried to read the book himself and found a LOT of useless minutea.
My Top 100. Yes, 100. I obsessively list all of my favorite things. For the record I watch a shittaki load of movies.

1. Lost in Translation
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Wings of Desire (Not as sexy as it sounds unfortunately)
4. The Straight Story
5. Better Off Dead
6. Sideways
7. Garden State
8. Amelie
9. Once
10. Wristcutters: A Love Story
11. Blade Runner
12. Suspiria
13. Shaun of the Dead
14. Harold and Maude
15. Say Anything
16. 2001: A Space Odyssey
17. Eraserhead
18. Breakfast at Tiffany's
19. Sunset Boulevard
20. Red Eye
21. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
22. Hable Con Ella
23. Lars and the Real Girl
24. Todo Sobre Mi Madre
25. Kairo
26. Let the Right One In
27. Ghost World
28. Adventures in Babysitting
29. Anastasia
30. Wild Tigers I Have Known
31. The Science of Sleep
32. Until the End of the World
33. Blue Velvet
34. Soylent Green
35. Snow Angels
36. Witness
37. Run Lola Run
38. Annie Hall
39. In the Mood for Love
40. Roman Holiday
41. City of Lost Children
42. Waking Life
43. Evil Dead 2
44. The Elephant Man
45. The Weather Man
46. About Schmidt
47. Magnolia
48. Reign Over Me
49. The Breakfast Club
50. Kikujiro
51. Audition
52. Princess Mononoke
53. Friday the 13th
54. High Fidelity
55. Rushmore
56. Fight Club
57. The Postman
58. Watership Down
59. Faraway, So Close!
60. 2010: The Year We Make Contact
61. The Namesake
62. Everything is Illuminated
63. Shopgirl
64. Mirror Mask
65. Vision Quest
66. Pretty in Pink
67. Almost Famous
68. Prince of Darkness
69. The Changeling
70. Night Shift
71. Closer
72. Good Will Hunting
73. Wait Until Dark
74. Taxi Driver
75. I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
76. Dead Alive
77. Fargo
78. Inferno
79. Adaptation
80. Broken Flowers
81. The Graduate
82. Scent of a Woman
83. Lords of Dogtown
84. Psycho
85. Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise
86. Spirited Away
87. Army of Darkness
88. Wayne's World
89. Austin Powers
90. Chasing Amy
91. The Shining
92. Rosemary's Baby
93. Castle in the Sky
94. Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
95. Videodrome
96. 2046
97. Titan A.E
98. Evil Dead
99. Mulan
100. The Blues Brothers

The ones I recommend:

Lost in Translation
Agh, I cannot possibly recommend this movie enough. It's got everything I want to see: comedy, deeper philosophical understanding, perfect music, amazing cinematography and atmosphere, Bill Murray working well in a mostly serious movie, scenes that actually make me feel like I'm there singing karaoke with the characters (or at least wish), and most importantly: Scarlett Johansson. Woman is gorgeous.

---

Wild Tigers I Have Known
Beautiful art film about a young boy who develops a crush on a 16-year-old guy. Strange in the fact that it's difficult to tell whether or not the scenes depicted are actually taking place or if they're just in the main character's mind. A lot of darkly sweetly sad dialogue ("If I drown, will you drown with me?") and crazy pretty imagery, trippy masturbation scenes and one rather dominant plot point in which the main character dresses up as a girl and visits his crush's girlfriend. Wouldn't recommend it if that stuff makes you uneasy, though.
Not enough Princess Bride. Sorry Orig. :<
Well I've never seen it the whole way through...
You people are thhiiiiiiissss close to being banned.

You guys need to see it. Especially FG.
author=kentona link=topic=3212.msg63358#msg63358 date=1235513855
You guys need to see it. Especially FG.

I've seen it, it's amazing.

Movies I like consist of Anchorman (didn't like it the first few times I watched it, but now it sits perfect with my sense of humor), 300 (which is more of a testosterone fest), The Dark Knight, Fight Club (incredible movie), Saving Private Ryan, Baseketball, Kung Pow, Lord of War, The Underworld Series, Crank (nothing really too special about Crank, it was just different in a very good way) mainly movies that aren't chick flicks or straight to video I can enjoy it. I like a lot of Jet Li movies too but the parts when he just starts randomly flying through the air are kinda dumb, but Unleashed and Fearless were cool. There are of course, plenty of movies I didn't like or movies that were killed because of commercials (all the good parts to the movie were already seen, which weren't much if you can put them in commercials).

Mmm in a general sense, I like either sarcastic, witty, or stupid humor in comedy movies, insanely amped up on action movies (not just a good pace of action, I mean blow your brains out action) romantic movies that aren't cheesy (they have to be pretty deep and clever for me to like them, because it's hard for me to like a romantic movie, which the romantic aspects of Spider-man we're actually good) and my all time favorites are psychologically based movies (Fight Club especially, it just messes with your head in a completely awesome way)
I really enjoyed The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and have all the Extended Editions on DVD.

Other favorites are Spirited Away, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Slumdog Millionaire. Some other movies that aren't the best I have seen but still stuck with me in one way or another are Wall-E, Donnie Darko and 5 Centimeters per Second.

Also, "The Princess Bride" is a classic.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
ARMAGEDDON.

Watch it. Just do it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I thought Lost in Translation was annoying, but I watched the entire movie. Is the 'young boy' in Wild Tigers, like, 13 or 15 or...? I'd like to watch it if both are ~16 but the kid looks twelve or something and 'trippy masturbation scenes' with a twelve-year-old, uh... no thanks?

Or really masturbation in movies at all. I am not a fan of sex scenes in movies, but eh.
As a movie buff I plan on contributing to this topic later on, but as an aside I have to say that I don't think I've ever called a movie a 'film' before.
author=Craze link=topic=3212.msg63374#msg63374 date=1235523603
I thought Lost in Translation was annoying, but I watched the entire movie. Is the 'young boy' in Wild Tigers, like, 13 or 15 or...? I'd like to watch it if both are ~16 but the kid looks twelve or something and 'trippy masturbation scenes' with a twelve-year-old, uh... no thanks?

Or really masturbation in movies at all. I am not a fan of sex scenes in movies, but eh.

Your opinion on Lost in Translation is wrong.

The kid is like 12 or 13 I think. And the scene (maybe plural, I forget) is only a few seconds long, most of it being the sexual apparitions he's fantasizing about. Not like anything is shown, either, just a hand moving vigorously under a blanket. In fact, there's really no sex or nude scenes at all.

I'm not doing the movie justice at all. >_> Watch it, dammit!
Pages: first 1234 next last