[VX] TAKE IT, MAKE IT, PASS IT (PROJECT TMP) CHAIN GAME V5

Pages: first 123 next last
I have this idea for a new community project.
I start by uploading the source file.
Then:
WHAT IT IS
1. You read this post.
2. You make a post "NEXT"
3. You download the .exe (take it)
4. You add to the game over 48 hours (or less) (make it)
5. You upload your version of the game (pass it)
6. Post what you did / added / fixed

Then the next person does it.

RULES:
- Must be done with RPG Maker VX
- Take the file when you have TIME TODAY, so you can work on it right now this moment
- The person that currently has the file has 48 hours to upload their finalized version for the next person.
- If the person does not have it uploaded, then the next person can come along and "NEXT" the last version.
- If there was no deadline, then people would just keep the file forever and end up not doing it.
- The game has its own systems
- The game has its own weather / locking / door / map information systems
- There is a READ ME map that you all should read.
- Follow the instructions in the READ ME
- No waiting line. Just because you are free today does not mean you will be free when it is your turn.
- Cannot have the same person 2 times in a row, there must be a new person. You can have the project over and over, just not back to back.
- After this, post what you did, what you added, new quests if you made any new items (do not get specific about the items)

Any questions, comments? Need for elaboration?

Hopefully this is something that will take on a life of its own.

From Maia

WHAT I DID:
- 1 tiny village
- 1 tree / fishing spot (but no fishing items)
- overworld was left with paths leading to no where, so someone can put towns or whatever
- barely any items
- barely any armors
- no weapons
- no enemies
- weather system
- weather regions
- exit off the edges of maps
- time of day system
- locking doors / chests
- advanced treasure system

From Redwyn

WHAT I DID:
1.Created a simple Character Creation System, male and female bases, 12 hairs with several color options.
2.Created several Classes.
3.Added the option to input your character's name
4.Changed the Catalon Village quite a bit, naming the NPCs and naming the houses appropriately
5.Tried/Started to make and finish a Building Quest, which would take you through several quests that once you complete upgrades the village.
6.Added Modern Algebra's ATS Script.
7.Added a small forest with a Camp near the town, for the first quest.
8.Created a Catalon Village 0.1 map, in which after completing the Npc Jesse's quest, the player would be teleported to it where another quest to expand the village more would be available.

I believe that to be it, sorry for not having much, but I hope it's okay for now ^^

I'll be adding more Hair and options for Clothes (Exclusive to classes so far until I get a script for it) next time I can. ;]
Hesufo
I am pretty interested in hooking up sometime. Screw me.
I don't like the addition of a weather/time of day system much but eh...

I'll grab it eventually. ;)
I wanna see where this goes :)
I might chip in.
Just opened it up, where's this Read Me file you mentioned?

(Oh, the first map is a Read Me XD)
I hope it goes further on this forum. This is the third forum. It originally was on a forum that I'm well liked... but there was one participant. The other forum the idea was laughed at the idea negatively and said if you want anyone to join in, make it anything but VX.

Maybe it is the way that I went about doing things that is the reason why this has not had much excitement about it. Too many read mes perhaps?
It sounds like a good idea to me. I'll grab it when it's next available; I'm not actually working on anything at the moment so this will be a nice exercise for me.
I'm done with it already. It's got too many scripts for my personal liking.

I added a new area called Kel's Tower which is initially locked, but once you get inside there's a chest full of cash and a creepy guy in a white mask. If anyone wishes to expand on that area, feel free.

Great idea, just not for me, what with all the scripts and stuff.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fuw751
Hesufo
*grabs it* :D

Okay, I'm all right with the scripts you've added but the custom event systems are pretty tricky and they seem rather useless.

If you want to do a community project you should keep the complex customization to a minimum. I don't get the treasure chests system, or the doors/exits one either. I disapprove of the weather and time system, too.

I want to know if I'm allowed to overwrite/eliminate systems or game elements I deem useless or unacceptable.

I'd remove: the chest/door locks system, the automated exits, and the weather/time system. They serve no purpose, and just make working with the game much more complicated. There is also no storyline. Not even a cliché storyline to follow.
author=Hesufo link=topic=3278.msg65035#msg65035 date=1236276126

Someone else already has it. No waiting lists either, because if you are free today doesn't mean you will be free and have the motivation to do it in 48 hours.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Advice: try not to overload the game with systems and scripts. Focus more on content.

Is there a limit to when the chain will stop and the final version be released?
Hesufo
author=maia link=topic=3278.msg65036#msg65036 date=1236276201

Someone else already has it. No waiting lists either, because if you are free today doesn't mean you will be free and have the motivation to do it in 48 hours.

author=Sam

EDIT: Read my edited post above, too. And WIP's.

author=Hesufo link=topic=3278.msg65049#msg65049 date=1236278664
author=maia link=topic=3278.msg65036#msg65036 date=1236276201

author=Sam

I think she means that TMT probably has it by now, since he said:
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=3278.msg65024#msg65024 date=1236272269
It sounds like a good idea to me. I'll grab it when it's next available;
Hesufo
author=VerifyedRasta link=topic=3278.msg65054#msg65054 date=1236279080
I think she means that TMT probably has it by now, since he said:
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=3278.msg65024#msg65024 date=1236272269
It sounds like a good idea to me. I'll grab it when it's next available;

No waiting lines, she said.

Which means the first one to claim it after the previous user let go of the project, gets to grab it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, maia.
So did Hesufo call it? I did not notice Sam gave it up just before Hesufo's post.

No waiting lines sorry. You claim it AFTER the last person gives it up.

If someone wants to streamline it or make it easier or less complex. Go ahead, I would rather the project take on a life of its own than no one care. I had made the treasure system, because it does get easier when you have 1000 treasures, random items and so on. That's just my opinion though.

IDEA:
Just an idea... you can work on something for the game, cause you can all download and see the basis of it.

Then when it is your turn to add to the game, just open up your game, and the TMP chain game and copy your maps and paste them into the chain game. You may have to redo some variables and the locations your transports / doors lead to, because your map 1 will become the chain game's map 30 or something like that.

If you make a house and know where you want to put it and someone else puts it where you want it put... then make that house a neighbor or find someplace far away to put it. There is room forever.

ANOTHER IDEA:
You do not have to have it for 48 hours, if you get tired, burnt out, want to pass it on, don't like doing it anymore, upload what you have and tell us to take it :-)
Hesufo
author=maia link=topic=3278.msg65064#msg65064 date=1236280127
IDEA:
Just an idea... you can work on something for the game, cause you can all download and see the basis of it.

Then when it is your turn to add to the game, just open up your game, and the TMP chain game and copy your maps and paste them into the chain game. You may have to redo some variables and the locations your transports / doors lead to, because your map 1 will become the chain game's map 30 or something like that.

I think it's cleaner and easier to do it in order (one by one), rather than many people adding to it, then trying to put it all together.

I support the idea of keeping it however long (below 48 hours). :)
author=Hesufo link=topic=3278.msg65065#msg65065 date=1236280532
author=maia link=topic=3278.msg65064#msg65064 date=1236280127
IDEA:

I think it's cleaner and easier to do it in order (one by one), rather than many people adding to it, then trying to put it all together.

I support the idea of keeping it however long (below 48 hours). :)

World Crafters was a pain integrating people's content into the game. Anyway, you have it now Hesufo, do whatever and enjoy it. Give it up 48 hours or less.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I'd be all up ons but will this be a laggy mess like world craftrs? If not, I want to be involved.

Advice: try not to overload the game with systems and scripts. Focus more on content.

This.
It was the custom systems and scripts that put me off. As I previously mentioned.
Hesufo
Okay, so far, I abolished most of the custom systems - those dealing with maps, the weather and day/night systems are no more. Map names will appear now with a handy and easy-to-use script that does not interfere with movability.

I'm currently adding items and equipment to the database, including spells and skills for the classes. Then, I'll add monsters and add to the quest in the first town. :)

EDIT: For the sake of simplicity, I've also removed the advanced text system script, the item crafting script and the stat distribution script. That'll make it easier for future pick-uppers to work in the game with ease.
Pages: first 123 next last