LARGE PROJECT IN THE WORKS

Pages: 1
After playing many RPG's over again in the past couple weeks, I got what i think is a neat idea.

I am going to make an RPG, containing all of the most "famous" characters, from various series like Final Fantasy, and others like Legend of dragoon, and kingdom Hearts.

I am working on a story line to tie them all together. The basic gist of it is going to be a corrupt god is wiping out the "multiverse", you start out in a normal modern, after surviving an attack your warped to a new land where you must begin traveling time, and dimensions to gather up a band of heros to overthrow the corrupt god
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=3283.msg65160#msg65160 date=1236291937
Sounds terrible.
And trite, don't forget that

Also probably been done before
after all, in my youngling days i toyed with the idea of cloudstrife fighting kingdom herats characters. baloo... would've been a tough nut to crack for even the finest ex-soldiers.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
For a more in-depth reply, see the following text:

I highly suggest against this idea. For one, it is derivative and has been done poorly in the past. It is not your own creation and simply stealing characters from another game to interject with your own.

My advice? Go ahead and make your game, but don't take it as a masterpiece. Take it as a step to learning how to make your own game with your own ideas.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
Listen kiddo, and listen well; this is not an easy genre to break in to. Managing such a cast of beloved and well-rounded characters is no easy task, particularly for one's first game. Have you thought about the continued character development of Cloud Strofe? Are you aware of the many canonical intricacies that you must be well-versed in if you are to expand the narrative of these fine electronic media titles? For instance, hungry gamers will no doubt be clamoring for further explanation on Gogo's true identity as Adlai Stevenson, their insatiable desire for details and revelations a constant weight on your shoulders - and if your game cannot deliver the answers the fans want you will meet box office ruin, not to mention stern reviews from heavyweight critics such as Tyranos F. Gheimschlacken.

As if this overwhelming pressure were not enough, you will be forced to compete with established names and franchises in the lush world of crossovers, such as Aten with his 2008 megahit Final Fantasy Dreams or Outlander145's critically praised "Final Hearts". (Pictured below)

Do you really want to go up against riveting material such as this? It's a cutthroat game, this RPG Making business, and I will tell you one thing; industry titans like Aten are not to be taken lightly. If you are not prepared to be crushed into pieces at the heels of one such opponent, then do not even think of becoming the next golden god of games. To transcend the cosmos, you must first be willing to lose everything. Are you ready to take that step? If your answer is yes, then take my hand - we are about to embark on the journey of a lifetime my young friend...

author=lolzallen link=topic=3283.msg65161#msg65161 date=1236292056
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=3283.msg65160#msg65160 date=1236291937
Sounds terrible.
You can take my first ever RPGMaker game which I planned to include a whole host of Nintendo characters. Want it?
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
I think everyone's first RM game needs to have a couple Square and/or Nintendo characters in it. Part of the reason you're able to improve as a gamemaker is that you aren't afraid to create something, even if it is less-than-awesome.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Mine didn't, dragonheartman!
author=dragonheartman link=topic=3283.msg66139#msg66139 date=1236793162
I think everyone's first RM game needs to have a couple Square and/or Nintendo characters in it. Part of the reason you're able to improve as a gamemaker is that you aren't afraid to create something, even if it is less-than-awesome.

Yeah, this is pretty bad/uncreative advice.
*coughkingdomheartscough*

try to make original characters... or atleast rename your character and change their sprite..
No need to perpetuate this; I'd say the consensus is in.

The moral of the story: the desire to bring your favorite characters back to life is mingled with the desire to create. It's actually harder to do than creating something original because people already have opinions on the characters you use before they even play the game, and if you portray them in an unrealistic way, the feedback can be doubly negative.

Try taking your creative juices a new, fresh direction. If you want to make a fan game, that's fine, but dedicate those creative juices into maintaining the proper characterization of those already well-established characters (hint: it's probably not easy).
Pages: 1