ANY OF YOU GUYS/GALS SWIM?

Pages: first 123 next last
Now that the weather's finally starting to get warmer and my hair's short again (and therefore much less of a water mop), I've been going to the campus rec's pool regularly. I've only been swimming regularly for a little more than half a year, though having to stop for half a year due to re-locating for work and winter setting in.

Something I've been working on is trying to extend the amount of time I can stay underwater for. Most recently I've been able to swim a length of the pool (25 m) in one breath. At the moment though, I'm just doing my best to swim laps while surfacing as little as possible. Any of you big-time swimmers know better techniques for this kind of thing?

Let's see how many swimmers we have in the RMN community!
I learned it last year, I didn't know before and water absolutely terrified me, but once I learned, it became my best thing ever. I'm down at the pool everyday after work, since it's like, 10 mins walk from my office.
I can't swim -_-. My head is like a mop, heh.
I float more than swim. I just can't be bothered with going fast. Instead I just like to lie on my back in the water and float silently away. Usually I first swim away a decent distance from the beach so there's not a whole lot of others around.

Next I just need to find a way to get a book out there without the pages being completely destroyed and I'll lie in the water reading.

On the other hand I haven't been swimming too much the last couple of summers which is a bit of a shame.
I can't swim. I tried taking lessons but I'm always failing with my legs. I went to Bangladesh and I almost drowned trying to wash myself in the backyard pool. To this day, I hate going in water.
I got up to my Bronze Medallion level of swimming lessons (one below lifeguard), but that was way back 10 years ago. I really don't swim much, but the gym I go to twice a week has a full sized pool. I end my workout with a few laps in the pool, treading water and diving, and a nice sit in the hottub.
I swim since I was a little kid, I just love water, never decided to actually go to championships or anything though, but I'm pretty good at it. I didn't went to any pools for some years, but now I'm going 3 times a week to the pool, just after the gym and it really makes everything better.
Btw I¡ve heard it's not too good to hold your breath for too long in repeated times, but I don't know how true it is.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Absolutely love to swim. Waterparks are the best. I shamelessly cut loose when there are waterslides around.
author=harmonic link=topic=3357.msg66899#msg66899 date=1237326137
Absolutely love to swim. Waterparks are the best. I shamelessly cut loose when there are waterslides around.

Ugh, I love waterslides too but pretty much every waterpark I've been to has been like

- Wait 15/20 minutes.
- 45 seconds of slide.
- Repeat.

:(

Still, the pools are always good.
I don't swim at all to be honest... I can float and swim how a dog will swim, but that's pretty much it... last year I tried swimming a lot, but really, I still don't get it. :-X
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I absolutely love swimming. I've been certified lifeguard in the past (before they raised the age limit) and I try to have swimming in my school schedule whenever possible.
There seem to be a lot of talk about pool-swimming. Who actually swims in, uh, proper water? I myself am not exactly the biggest fan of the ocean/salt water (even though I won't say no) but I frequently swim in lakes (or possibly ponds. It's not like they're very large. One of my favorite places one summer was a pond the size of a football field hidden in the forest. It was a nice place and you could almost get the whole way there by bike).

I for one don't really like swimming in pools at all. Though I like playing in pools :)
I will never swim in the sea! When I was little I was attacked by a crab as I walked in knee high water, it pinched my foot. It's just put me off for life, I hate all sea creatures and all fish are incredibly ugly and gross looking. I've been scared of crabs ever since.

But I actually love to swim, it's a really important life skill, anyone who can't needs to learn!
author=Little Wing Guy link=topic=3357.msg66945#msg66945 date=1237376299
I will never swim in the sea! When I was little I was attacked by a crab as I walked in knee high water, it pinched my foot. It's just put me off for life, I hate all sea creatures and all fish are incredibly ugly and gross looking. I've been scared of crabs ever since.

But I actually love to swim, it's a really important life skill, anyone who can't needs to learn!

I have an insane fear of crabs! We're phobia-buddies! I think it must mainly be because big dead ones kept floating up to me and bumping on my feet/floating onto my stomach when I was young. Bshhhrrrrrrr... like you, it's pretty much spread to almost everything from the sea, and so yeah, I never go in the sea, ever. Or eat seafood.

Fun Fact: Krabby is ok, but not Kingler. Motherfucker.

Edit: Actually one summer I went with my family to a holiday camp in France and they had a lake. After heavy reassurance that is was safe for me, it was really nice. No saltwater, seaweed, crustaceans, anything. Go for lakes, man. Oh, a couple of fish, but they rarely came near.
author=Shinan link=topic=3357.msg66943#msg66943 date=1237374199
There seem to be a lot of talk about pool-swimming. Who actually swims in, uh, proper water? I myself am not exactly the biggest fan of the ocean/salt water (even though I won't say no) but I frequently swim in lakes (or possibly ponds. It's not like they're very large. One of my favorite places one summer was a pond the size of a football field hidden in the forest. It was a nice place and you could almost get the whole way there by bike).

I for one don't really like swimming in pools at all. Though I like playing in pools :)

I LOVE to swim outside of the pool! I don't get too many opportunities seeing as its pretty location-dependent, but I think about it all the time. I've swam in the ocean a couple of times while I was vacationing in the Carribeans once. Its honestly as beautiful as they say it is, but the salt really does a number on my nose so I'm not too big a fan of ocean-swimming either.

Personally, I'd like to take this further one day and learn scuba-diving.. probably some time after I graduate.
I used to swim for a club and compete in competitions and stuff. Did get pretty good but I started competing too late on in life and couldn't get to a high enough standard to compete as high as I wanted.

Now I just swim to keep fit, for me it's the best form of exercise and is very relaxing if the pool isn't too busy.
I have a pretty bad fish-phobia myself. Once I saw a dead fish floating in the sea in one of those beaches where you can walk pretty far out. So I ran about a hundred meters through waist-high water back to the beach and didn't go back in the water that day :)

For some reason though I'm not afraid of living fish when I'm in the water (or I tend not to think about them too much) since I sort of know that they always tend to swim away from me anyway. (And my fish-phobia is the least bad when I see fish swimming around from above water. The second fish... I'm feeling uncomfortable just writing this I'll stop now)
Agreed.

Seeing something like this is a little strange for me, because until I went to college I pretty much automatically assumed that EVERYONE knew how to swim. x__x
I once knew how to swim...about a decade ago. I probably still, technically, know how to swim, but at the same time probably am not nearly as good as I once was.
I love swimming. I used to go every week. Now i just go in the summer.
Pages: first 123 next last