GEONDUN

Pages: first 12 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Geondun is a project that I worked on every now and then for a while, but eventually it got kicked aside by Karsuman and I's new project. For RS!6, though, I have added a few final touches and have decided to release what I had done. I might add more someday... it's more likely than a Demon Tower update*, so. =D

The basic premise of Geondun is that you are a god--the Divine--that is taking part in a bet. You create four mortal avatars and begin your race to find a set of special Keys... but who knows what will happen in the dark and silent depths?

You'll be controlling your characters through two dungeons with minimal light--you can only see a little ways around you. This is not some pansy game where you know where you are going! Some areas are slightly more illuminated by torches, but don't expect such regal treatment when traveling Geondun.

This game was 432 possible party combinations! You get to create four characters made up from six races, six classes and three faiths. Will you play an accurate Elf or a spell-slinging Kesu? Will you follow the undead-destroying path of the Paladin or the gold-seeking, armor-ignoring path of the Oriental? The choice(s) are yours.

Due to the unfinished nature of this demo, the town and second dungeon are pretty patchy. The town is completely functional, but don't expect much fancy stuff going on. The first dungeon is 100% complete, however, and there are two optional bosses hidden in the hurried-up version of the second dungeon.

You will not be able to use saved games from this demo in any later, more polished releases that I might possibly put out (heh) without suffering from some weird errors, most likely... sorry.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.rpgmaker.net/games/1049
http://www.rpgmaker.net/~craze/GeondunFix.zip
Download the patch, too!

Happy adventuring!

*You do not have the right to ask for Demon Tower updates in this topic.
Craze
Important: for those of you who looked at this when it was accepted last night before I released the game in this topic, please take a minute to visit the gamepage again and acknowledge the credits that I failed to display last night!

To everybody else: demo up!
Oh my word!

This is absolutely fantastic. I haven't gotten far enough for decent feedback (Second floor of the Catacombs). But yes, keep going with this, some great ideas!

I'll be back later with some sort of mini review.
Craze
Thanks for playing, LWG. I'm glad that it is entertaining you.
(Quick stat guide: HP is health, SP/Skill Points let you use skills, ATK increases physical damage, DEF decreases all damage, SPI/Spirit heightens magic and decreases magic damage slightly, AGI determines action speed and increases EVA and CRI, EVA is your chance to dodge enemy attacks and spells, CRI is your chance to enhance your action/get a critical hit, ACC is your chance to hit with a normal attack.)

Massive party creation manual

Races

Human
The Human spirit lends itself to performing many great feats with enhanced success quite often.
Stats: Humans are pretty neutral. They have no penalties and gain significant boosts in SP and CRI--they can excel in any class by using their special skills more often than others.
Immunities: None.
Racial Skill: Human Will allows a Human to heal their body and purge stat-decreasing effects.

Dwarf
Dwarves are of a sturdy race that can resist great quantities of pain. They also can resist toxins!
Stats: Dwarves are hardy fellows that resist pain with high HP and DEF, but suffer from decreased AGI. This pushes classes like the Paladin to the extreme, but also makes for a decent physical class of any type.
Immunities: Poison effects.
Racial Skill: Constitution heals a Dwarf and increases their DEF for a length of time.

Elf
Lithe and trained well, Elf adventurers are fast and can hit opponents more regularly with weapons.
Stats: The main draw of the Elves are that they allow for the highest ACC possible, making them useful for classes like the Blackguard that have low-ACC weapons. While Elves have less HP than most, they gain a slight bonus to a wide array of speed- and skill-related attributes. They can produce the fastest Rogue character!
Racial Skill: Elven Mantra lets an Elf encourage an ally to never miss with a normal attack for an entire battle.

Kesu
Evolved humanoids from the eastern provinces. Kesu are excellent mages that cannot be influenced.
Stats: Focus on the ways of mystic spirit energy usage, Kesu trade ATK for SPI. This makes them great Evokers or Magi, but can also make for an interesting Blackguard or a healer-type Paladin.
Immunities: Effects that relinquish control of the character.
Racial Skill: Energy of Kesu sends forth a great amount of Kesu spiritual power at an enemy--not only does it ignore Guard actions, it has a higher chance to critical than other skills!

Gnome
Gnomes are short, allowing them to not be attacked as often as others. They are also rather bright.
Stats: Gnomes have an odd assortment of stat boosts: they have a higher EVA than other races plus enhanced HP and AGI. This makes them excellent Orientals, but the way of the Rogue (or really any class!) is also plausible. Gnomes also will not be attacked by enemies as often as any other race.
Racial Skill: Intuition, usable outside of battle, is a cheap skill that has a low chance of reviving an ally.

Orc
These monsters are highly skewed towards being warriors. Being ugly, enemies will attack Orcs often.
Stats: Orcs have incredible HP, DEF and ATK attributes. To offset this, their SPI and ACC are dreadful. This makes them brawny Blackguards, Paladins or Orientals... although, if you dared, you could try an Orc Magus or Evoker. The opposite of Gnomes, Orcs will take more enemy attacks than any other race.
Racial Skill: Horn of Kal'shurk sends an Orc bullrushing into an enemy for massive physical damage--but leaves the user slightly injured.

Classes

Blackguard
Masters of death. Blackguards refuse to release the mortal coil, and thus sell themselves to demons.
Role: Tank.
Stats: Physically-oriented, with a high chance of being the target of enemy attacks.
Immunities: Automatic death effects.
Field Ability: Blackguards can command skeletons that block passages to move, allowing access to some incredible treasures.
Example Skill: Crazed Hellflame summons a magical fire that drives an enemy into a terrible rage (while burning away a lot of HP, naturally).

Paladin
Masters of divine judgement. When a Paladin arrives, undead fall down and allies are reborn.
Role: Tank.
Stats: Enhanced physical attributes with a slight SPI boost, as well as dreadful AGI. Like the Blackguard, they are attractive targets.
Field Ability: Paladins can talk to fairies around Geondun that give gifts or heal the party.
Example Skill: Willing Martyr makes the Paladin an incredibly enticing target for enemy attacks; she'll take almost all damage for five turns.

Oriental
Masters of ancient arts. Resisting paralysis and ignoring enemy evasion, Orientals are deadly.
Role: Damage output.
Stats: Fast and sturdy, an Oriental is a mix of a brawny warrior and an elusive thief.
Immunities: Effects that stop a character from acting.
Field Ability: Orientals can find money lying around Geondun, just ready to be scooped up.
Example Skill: Intensify increases the damage that the Oriental does with critical attacks--and it lasts for the entire battle!

Rogue
Masters of accuracy and theft. Rogues prowl dungeons looking for treasure and chances to show off.
Role: Damage output.
Stats: Incredible AGI, EVA and CRI. A slight increase in ACC gives Rogue an additional edge.
Field Ability: Rogues have a chance of disarming any trap that the party comes across.
Example Skill: Snipe Guard makes a ranged attack that lowers an enemy's DEF.

Evoker
Masters of Fire and Ice. While offensive wizards, Evokers know more than enough support spells.
Role: Nuker & support.
Stats: While generally balanced, magic is primary.
Field Ability: Evokers are in tune with the natural world and can find healing items in grassy patches.
Example Skill: Antipodal Burst evokes the power of both Fire and Ice, sending damaging missles out at random enemies.

Magus
Masters of Storm and Energy. Magi strike down foes with arcane gestures and dangerous chants.
Role: Nuker.
Stats: Skewed incredibly towards SPI, with a slight boost in CRI. Magi are targeted less by enemies due to their often terrifying actions.
Field Ability: Magi have the ability of arcane sight that allows them to find SP-restoring items strewn about the astral plane.
Example Skill: Storm Focus imbues an ally's weapon with Storm damage and increases that character's resistance to Storm attacks.

Faiths

Trodain
The power of Life. Followers of Trodain enjoy increased HP reserves as well as a boost in DEF.

Almenga
The power of Truth. Followers of Almenga enjoy boosts in ATK, AGI and CRI.

Falena
The power of Courage. Followers of Falena enjoy an increase in SPI and a small bonus in EVA.
Script 'KGC_MPCostAlter' line 315: ArgumentError occured.
invalid value for Integer: "HP"

Error caused any time I try to access my Blackguard Orc's skillset after he learned his first skill.
Craze
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
WTF YES downloads.

demon tower plz

I might be way off but are any or all of those sprites in the upper right corner of the race/class selection screen edited from Clest's original sprites from Iron Gaia II? If not (I don't really think they are, I am like 14% sure that they are, i.e. not at all sure) where are those sprites from?

LWG, your banners are the winningest thing I have ever seen. Viva le ghostlight.
Craze
I got the sprites from Mac's blog... he is quietly remaking the entire REFMAP package.

http://cyocorune.cocolog-nifty.com/daily_vx/2009/03/post-a392.html

Also, seriously. Aren't you an oldbie worth his salt?!?!? Look at the KESU race and at the BLUE-CLOAKED SPRITE and honestly tell me that it is Iron Gaia II-based. :<
Max McGee
author=Craze link=topic=3366.msg67619#msg67619 date=1237841091
I got the sprites from Mac's blog... he is quietly remaking the entire REFMAP package.

http://cyocorune.cocolog-nifty.com/daily_vx/2009/03/post-a392.html

:o

Also, seriously. Aren't you an oldbie worth his salt?!?!? Look at the KESU race and at the BLUE-CLOAKED SPRITE and honestly tell me that it is Iron Gaia II-based. :<

Yeah well, I was referring to the black-cloaked and hatted Kesu sprite on the right, and SERIOUSLY, you tell me why the default name for the Kesu Mage I made using that sprite (which is a remade version of the original sprite for Sigmus The Fallen from Iron Gaia {real name Dietrich Slade}) is SLADE?

Or does this Slade name have anything to do with Asalieri's issues...

Anyway, setting out on my first adventure now. (I found the description for the Oriental class hilarious, largely because 'Oriental' is of course an old-timey racial epithet for Asians, and that is how I read it.

My characters already have stats. I will post their final ones later:

Edit the fifth:
On my second trip to the second layer of the catacombs my dwarf blackguard learned his "Bloodcast" skill. When I tried to go into his skill menu to learn what that was, I encountered an error, probably the same one described by AeroGP. This answered my question that the version of Geondun you had available for general download in fact wasn't the fixed one you just linked to. It also somewhat took the wind out of my sails. I will play more later.
Craze
Yeah, you need to download the full game AND the patch. I wrote that on other sites and must have automatically assumed that I did it on RMN first. Sorry, I've updated the OP.

I was thinking of Asa's negativity towards "Slade," yes. You got lucky, too. The 'default name' is different for each sprite based on which number character you're making. =D

Also, HAGAR is an awesome name. You should have made Helga too, though. :<
Max McGee
Grr. At this point, more than half of my excursions into the abandoned catacombs result in me being raped to death by the Tomb Guardian. The regular enemies are also a little too tough, and I've been unlucky in running away. It is scary when you can't find the exit when you just want to leave and go heal at the inn and I often die to that, which is awesome in theory but just really frustrating in practice. Also, prices are high and gold drops are meager (I need to kill six blurbs just to buy ONE heal potion?) Also I am annoyed by how long most enemies take to die! I am okay with the damage output of normal enemies (around 30-60 points a turn, spread out in a few hits of roughly ~15) but if it was up to me I would reduce their health to around 60-75% of what it is now. They just take too long to die making regular encounters which are crucial for leveling up annoying. It would help if enemies like Rapper and Floflo had any exploitable weakneses, but if they do, my party isn't set up to exploit them, so it's just slug-slug-slug and eventually die. (I feel my Kesu Magus deserves a bigger "tank" of mana too. Only being able to cast six times a trip is very limiting, especially when Action Juice does very little AND is hard to find.)

So on a whole, the entire game seems slanted towards being hardcore, i.e. frustratingly difficult, in an entirely different (but equal) way than EtG is. It is on the whole more subtle and there are no "lol fuck u u starve" moments but there is still a really, really steep difficulty curve here.

Still playing, though. At this point I am in such mortal fear of the tomb guardian that my trips to the dungeon end when I encounter him and he eats one of my party members and I manage to run away, rather than ending when I have run out of resources.
Craze
My advice is to save items for boss fights. Stick to the area near a teleportation ring unless you're realllllly itchin' for teasure/confident. When you need to heal, rest at the inn. You'll save lots of money that way.

When you can finally start taking down a Tomb Guardian or Turned Dollie, you'll be able to start buying extraneous items. Also, try nabbing some stuff from the hard fights before you start to run away...

Additional help: buy a whip or crossbow for your Rogue. "No exploitable weaknesses," indeed...

enigmas...
Max McGee
Then it occurred to me I have never actually fought the tomb guardian. So I fought him. At level 1 and 3/4 (everyone but Hagar was Level 2). Total party wipeout, as expected.
: (

I wish it was possible to not encounter the tomb guardian until you're ready to fight him, like it is in some other RPGs. Either that or he should be tough-but-beatable at Level 1.
Craze
I just edited my previous post while you were posting. Just a useful FYI. =D

BEASTIARY for those who wish to know weaknesses:

BLURB/GROSS BLURB: Weak to energy
FLOFLO: Weak to slash and fire
RAPPER/BLING (undead): Weak to ranged and energy
BATACOMB/BLOODSEEKER: Weak to slash and storm, extremely weak to ranged; can heal damage with Vamp Chow when injured
DEAD DOLLIE (undead): Absorbs fire, weak to blunt
GHOSTIE (undead): Resists blunt, slash, ranged, ice; weak to fire
SKELEPIRATE (undead): Resists slash, weak to blunt

HORRIFYING MONSTER BEASTIARY for those who are truly stuck:

TOMB GUARDIAN (undead): No weaknesses or resistances, but increases its DEF after a few turns
TURNED DOLLIE (undead): Absorbs fire, weak to blunt

BOSS BEASTIARY for cheaters:

GODSTOPPER: Resists ice; can heal damage with Icy Maw
MAW OF PRIJ'A: Resists blunt and ranged, weak to fire; weak to DEF Down attacks
GARAN ULSONG: Extremely weak to AGI Down attacks
Max McGee
Final Edit/New Post for a while:

My oriental has a whip, my rogue has a crossbow, before you suggested it, not seeing massive increase in damage. Anyway, I managed to beat a tomb guardian. barely. My only reward was my pride, a couple of oro (I think it said 18?) and a heal potion.

: (

Anyway, I am at least happy because, being a good Magic: The Gathering player, I have found a combo I can exploit. (Namely, anyone with a decent self-heal + Bloodcast.) So now that my dwarf blackguard has found his niche (turning his blood into up to 60 fire damage a turn and then constitutioning it back) maybe I will have an easier time.

My asian is still pretty useless so far.
Craze
I edited beastiaries (weakness and resistances of enemies) into my previous post for you, Max. <3

Orientals take a few levels to get skills, but at L3 Ada'll be able to own enemies when she's hurting, and at L6 she'll be able to heal an ally with her own HP--then use that lost HP to cause her L3 skill to do more damage.

It's a vicious cycle.

MODIFY: Oh, and Ada's Elven AGI stat will do wonders for you in boss battles as soon as you have the HP to survive them.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but AGI adds to your EVA and CRI attributes... btw.
Man this is a really fun dungeon crawler, it's a nice change of pace from Hero's Realm. It's like advanced FF5/DQ3 without having to walk slowly on a world map!

Also those Tomb Guardians, FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUCC-

Edit: Where did you get these awesome Tile/Chara sets btw
I agree with F-G, this is a lot better than Demon Tower.

I really like how NPC's randomly appear in each dungeon. But you've still got the same problem of rather bland looking corridor dungeons though. Seeing as this is the case, maybe you should think of taking the rogue-like approach and learning how to do randomized dungeon layouts (don't know if RMVX makes this possible as I've never worked with it).

A winning combination would be to have random floor combinations with random NPC's, for say x floors, then have the 5th, 10th, every 5x floor be a special boss floor, etc. It'll also be cool to have special floors that occur randomly. For example, a floor with no walls, just an open space, or a special floor where you can get a really rare weapon or item.

I have not had the time, patience or will to play an RM game in several months, but I'm convinced that this is worth my time.
Pages: first 12 next last