SPYWARE REMOVAL

Pages: first 12 next last
Well, I've recently gotten Spyware on the computer-o-mine. Well, it's been on it for a while, actually, but not near as bad as this time. Something called "Virtumonde" and alot of others are on it, and it makes just loading the computer near mind-numbing. The internet freezes up every now-and-then, sites like Facebook and MSN/Hotmail have become all but accessable, and signing on to MSN is a chore. I'm going to check is there's any good stuff out there to buy soon enough, but I was wondering if there are are good FREE Anti-Spyware removal programs. I have Spybot, but that just doesn't work all that well, and that's all that I really know of.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks! =D
Spybot Search and Destroy is a free problem that's always worked for me.
Super Antispyware
MalwareBytes
Yeah, Spybot always worked for me, too, but it doesn't seem to be able to do jack-squat to this stuff. So...=\

But thanks for the reply! You too, GRS. I'll try and look up both of those that you've posted.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=3389.msg67645#msg67645 date=1237847894
Super Antispyware

This. It's actually saved my computer countless times where my actual Anti-Virus failed. It's a brillant program.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Try running UnHackMe as well. If you have spyware it's possible you might also have rootkits on your PC too.
Spybot and Malwarebytes have absolutely sucked recently at my workplace for removing Virtumonde, so they may be a good start, but don't depend too highly on them. I'd suggest downloading ComboFix and renaming the .exe, since the latest variants usually try to shut down ComboFix through the name only. Make it like "LOLfix.exe" or something. :P

If the above link doesn't work (which may be likely) Virtumonde is blocking access to the website. If so, tell me so I can upload it to rapidshare or some such. When you download it, boot into safe mode and run the executable with administrative priveleges. The process could take somewhere between a half-hour to an hour depending on your computer, so expect that.

This is, perhaps, your best bet aside from nuking your disk from orbit.

Here are direct download links in case the website doesn't work:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe
Oh lordy, looks like I have a fine bit to try out. But for now I'm going to go with SUPER Anti-Spyware. It's currently doing a scan, and has picked up 160+ infections so far. I'm just hoping it gives you the option to fix the selected infections once it's done.
An interesting note about Virtumonde: Leaving one part of it alive after a cleanup can give it the opportunity to just respawn itself all over your hard drive on a restart. You may need to do more than one or two passes with whatever program you choose.
author=Atavus Dei link=topic=3389.msg67659#msg67659 date=1237851441
Combofix

Forgot about that. Use this if the others fail because it kicks ass. Take that Vundo!

(I think it was Vundo)
Oi oi. Well, I might have to go with Atavus' method. I used Super Anti Spyware and--while it did indeed find alot of infections and deleted them--the computer wouldn't really go back to normal once it had to restart. I had to select the option of "Back to latest working settings" or something from the menu at reboot. It would just restart over-and-over if I tried to load windows normally. =|

But other than that, everything works much faster. =)
I seriously don't understand how you guys manage to get rid of spyware with the spybot S&D, that program sucks. Use malwarebytes anti-malware, and for viruses AVG antivirus... both of them are FREE. Give it a try, also www.google.com, type Combofix download, and download and execute that program first... it is like hijackthis but automatically. After this, you're computer is 95% guaranteed to be clean. Trust me, I use this all the time, even when my computer get's ridiculously infected.
Hrm. Well, it instructs you on the ComboFix website to post a log on one of the forums they supply and let someone help you with it. Is this advised? Or did anyone here who used ComboFix do this?
author=Ephiam link=topic=3389.msg67672#msg67672 date=1237857035
Hrm. Well, it instructs you on the ComboFix website to post a log on one of the forums they supply and let someone help you with it. Is this advised? Or did anyone here who used ComboFix do this?

Forget about posting logs, just download the program. Follow the prompts and don't worry about anything else... that's if you want a super proffesional tech stuff done to your pc. Trust me, just download and execute.
author=Ephiam link=topic=3389.msg67672#msg67672 date=1237857035

If you want to do it, that's fine...but generally it's OK to just run ComboFix on your own. We just usually download it to the user's desktop and run it from there.

As a reminder, don't forget to rename the file.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Windows Defender.
HijackThis! has been my weapon of choice any time this happens. It also helps to have a good idea what to look for.

What I do is runa HijackThis! scan, browse Google for the things it finds, and check off to remove the offending items. Then, I restart the computer in safe mode, run HijackThis! again, and again clean similar items. This usually is able to clear away any of those bad spyware programs that will reside in your memory and undo any changes you make while in Normal mode. Then, run your fave spyware program back in Normal mode to finally, hopefully, get rid of the bad stuff for good.
What is "Safe Mode" anyway? For as long as I can remember I've been meaning to ask that question, but just never got around to it. Anyone mind answering it for me? Ha ha.
author=S. F. LaValle link=topic=3389.msg67685#msg67685 date=1237861180
HijackThis! has been my weapon of choice any time this happens. It also helps to have a good idea what to look for.

What I do is runa HijackThis! scan, browse Google for the things it finds, and check off to remove the offending items. Then, I restart the computer in safe mode, run HijackThis! again, and again clean similar items. This usually is able to clear away any of those bad spyware programs that will reside in your memory and undo any changes you make while in Normal mode. Then, run your fave spyware program back in Normal mode to finally, hopefully, get rid of the bad stuff for good.

Combofix= Hijackthis without having to do it manually.
Pages: first 12 next last