INTEREST CHECK/PREPARATION TOPIC FOR A MAP CONTEST.

Pages: first 123 next last
Spurred on by some discussion here, I've decided to make this topic to scout out interest and do preliminary preparations for another Mapping Contest. Remember the last one? It was pretty successful, and it would be great to give a Mapping Contest another go, especially considering how much we've grown since then.

So, this topic is to check for interest, pitch ideas, generate funds (since there would be cash prizes) and even see if anyone would like to host it. I'm thinking that for a first prize, the prize would be say, 30 dollars awarded via Paypal, and the second prize would be 15 dollars. We would need some judges, a host, and of course willing participants. Participants may come from anywhere, and that's a good opportunity for the site, I'd wager. It would be a nomination based contest, so everybody has the chance to be involved. What does everyone think?
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I think if we go with a theme then we should pick something that hasn't actually been done before. No mountains, forrests, towns, interiors, just something different. Still trying to think of what though.
author=Tau link=topic=3401.msg67958#msg67958 date=1238017122
I think if we go with a theme then we should pick something that hasn't actually been done before. No mountains, forrests, towns, interiors, just something different. Still trying to think of what though.

I don't think a theme should be based on a specific type of location, it should be more broader like atmosphere, horror, high fantasy, a place where a hero would start his journey, or something.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
So more genre themed? That could work.
I've had this idea on the backburner for quite some time, but never mustered enough moxie to get it going.

Anywho, my planned prize for the winner was a copy of Mega Man 9 gifted by me to whomever won. Of course, the person needs a Wii.
I have a wii!

I'm totally up for this idea! Last time mine was terrible, but it was still really fun to do! Anyways, the general theme would probably work, but I preferred the "Who can do better with this chipset" idea more.
You could probably think of a better prize. Lots of people don't have a Wii or are otherwise unable to get on the internet with it, and a lot of us probably already have MM9 on one console or another.
I'm up for it, although I don't have a Wii. Straight up money could potentially be a better prize, considering the past thread where people felt at risk for giving out an address (according to BlindMind's warning).
Also keep in mind the obvious theory of reward; the better the prize, the better turnout we'll have. If we pool together for a really great reward, we'll have people from all over the community checking the contest out.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Very interested, if my own custom tileset is applicable.
author=Atavus Dei link=topic=3401.msg67987#msg67987 date=1238023067
I'm up for it, although I don't have a Wii. Straight up money could potentially be a better prize, considering the past thread where people felt at risk for giving out an address (according to BlindMind's warning).

Well, MM9 would be bought on the Wii store, I think that can be sent through the internet. I just had my Wii internet set up last week and haven't even tried it yet, so I don't know if that's how it works though... This would actually give me a reason to play my Wii for once ever.
Happy
Devil's in the details
Sure, why not. I'll participate. Don't care about the reward, though.
author=Rei- link=topic=3401.msg68002#msg68002 date=1238025706
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Cash prize seems like it would generate more buzz around the contest but I'm liking the whole Megaman 9 thing but not everyone has a Wii or internet access with it. I'm in the same boat as LWG & Rei though in I don't really care for the reward.
So who wants to get started or help out pooling up some reward money?
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Maybe the first one should be a test to see the interest and how popular it becomes so when the second comes along it will either be a big success to bring in more people or fail miserably.
author=Little Wing Guy link=topic=3401.msg68011#msg68011 date=1238027713
author=Rei- link=topic=3401.msg68002#msg68002 date=1238025706
I assume that you guys are talking about US dollars for the cash prize?
Pages: first 123 next last