RM2K3, HORRIBLY SLOW ATB BAR?

Pages: 1
I've looked through up to page 10 of this board and couldn't find an answer. There also doesn't seem to be a search function so I couldn't search either.

I've tried playing a few RM2K3 games recently (Heroes' Realm, Generica) but the battles take a very long time because the ATB bar seems to charge up unusually slow. Everything else seems fine. Character movement speed is pretty fast and the battle animations don't feel choppy.

This problem was much worse in Heroes' Realm than Generica for me. In HR, it might have taken around 30 seconds (didn't actually count) to fill up a character's ATB bar while in Generica, it was slightly more playable thanks to it filling up after only about 10-15 seconds (actually counted). Still, it feels quite slow.

I was not running anything else that could have mattered much (I even tried closing almost everything for Heroes' Realm). Is there a way to fix this or could this be how it is supposed to be?
Maybe it's because the difference in the agility stat was too great. If agility is set to 30 for monsters, the agility should be around 40 for the party. Same if the monsters are at 1 and the party is at 10. Or 990 and 999.

Come to think of it, maybe agility should've been capped at 30 in RM2k3 (maybe 1 point every three levels, maxing out around level 60). Because it's unlikely that a game will be long enough to really need 999 points.
I should have mentioned this, but I suppose I was too lazy to.

The monsters seemed to be going at roughly the same speed as my characters. They were only get hit about once per monster between their turns.
I noticed this a lot in many RM2k3 games and it's the main reason I stop playing them.
The battles are way to slow and as Silently said: "The monsters seemed to be going at roughly the same speed as my characters." So it's not like agility has much to do with it.
There should be an option to change the battle speed, like in FF7.
There is nothing you can do about it, really, without destroying the game balance.

Once you have more than 4 party members/monsters total, the RM2k3 battle engine slows down to a crawl, all based on relative agilities of the participants.

But you can try to do what Craze suggests, and have the heroes having AGL in the 30-40 range and the monsters having AGL in the 10-15 range, and the stat doesn't change throughout the game. I hear it helps a little.
Eh, how lame... I guess I'll have to fall asleep during battles (I actually do when I'm somewhat tired) if I keep playing.
author=Silently link=topic=3430.msg68654#msg68654 date=1238429783
Eh, how lame... I guess I'll have to fall asleep during battles (I actually do when I'm somewhat tired) if I keep playing.

To be honest, I think you're just not used to rm2k3 DBS at all, I can note because of how you describe the speed like. It's not going to be as fast as other commercial games out there, but it just take some time to get used to it as you play. I have played some games that are slow, while others are faster than usual. But since there isn't much you can do about it unless you hack the program itself to make it run faster, then it's just a matter of adaptation. :)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
If you're making a game, Craze's trick works like gold.

author=kentona link=topic=3430.msg68650#msg68650 date=1238427537
But you can try to do what Craze suggests, and have the heroes having AGL in the 30-40 range and the monsters having AGL in the 10-15 range, and the stat doesn't change throughout the game. I hear it helps a little.

It helps way more than a little. Then you can have 8 monsters in the group and no one would give two shits, because it'd actually move at a decent rate.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
It's because the atb speed is based off of standard deviations. If each character in a four-person party has 30 agi and each monster in a four-monster group has 12 agi, the party speed will be ~24% higher (z-score -1 (/9 = -1)). I think rm2k3 somehow limits this, though. I haven't done too many experiments, to be honest!

THE PROBLEM is that monsters are sllooooww.
author=ChaosProductions link=topic=3430.msg68660#msg68660 date=1238434109
If you're making a game, Craze's trick works like gold.

author=kentona link=topic=3430.msg68650#msg68650 date=1238427537

It helps way more than a little. Then you can have 8 monsters in the group and no one would give two shits, because it'd actually move at a decent rate.
Yeah, I followed a flavor of that in Generica - it is faster than Hero's Realm, but not spectacular or anything.

You stop noticing the slowness in HR later in the game, when you have many more options in battle, and furious and difficult enemies. Sometimes I even wished it were slower...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I really liked what you did in Generica (HOW SPEEDY R U OUT OF 100).

Damn Ravens...
Pages: 1