[COMMUNITY PROJECT] MISSIONGARDE -- CLASS REFINING IN PROGRESS

A (semi-)community project chaingame idea!

Welcome to the latest hairbrained community game idea from your most beloved admin kentona! My goal is to create a generic mission-based RPG in RM2k3 with the communty's help! Together, we will design a game framework which I will implement in RM2k3 - classes, weapons, spells, items, attributes, conditions, battle commands - afterwhich I will make a basic mision, then pass it off to another community member to make the next mission!

..:: RATIONALIZATION ::..

My game-designing itch is back, and while I have some rough ideas about a potential Generica II, I think Missiongarde would be more fun to make.

My previous attempt at a community game (Generica (not my latest game, but the old community project from which I stole the name)) failed primarily because the scope grew far too large for any one person to handle. But some good came of it - Hellion which used a lot of the skilltree and outside-of-battle skills ideas we tossed about, and Generica which used the story, history and setting we cooked up as it's basic premise. Neither one lived up to the original Generica dream, but something good came of it, right? (Right?)

So, it got too big. Solution: limit the scope to arbitrarily small limits! The game framework needs to be small enough for one person (me) to make in a reasonable amount of time (3 weeks, say). After we decide on some basic points, I will create the game, and make a Mission - a collection of related quests with a conclusion. I will then pass off the project to one person, and they can create their own Mission. I will set some guidelines up, and some structure beforehand. We can restrict missions by requiring the player to have certain thresholds they have to meet before they embark on a mission - say, average party level, or certain items (like a key), or certain classes (like, say, a female-comprised-party-only mission!).

Thus, I make the framework based on a community designed game! And then it becomes a chaingame.

..:: SET-UP ::..

The basic premise is this:

- You are a group of heroes in the city of Missiongarde
- You have a stable of 8 blank slate party members (4 males, 4 females (makes things easier))
- You can assign party members a class, provided you have the associated Class Crystal in your inventory
- Class Crystals can be purchased with Class Points, with more powerful/advanced classes costing more
- You change your active party by visiting your Stable
- You embark on a mission by doing something (talking to an NPC) in Missiongarde
- Do mission, win gold, EXP, and class points.
- Repeat!

..:: RESTRICTIONS ::..

- I will be using RM2k3.
- I'm using Generica as a base model for things like Attributes, general stat progression for classes, tileset, and battle system template
- I'm using Dragon Warrior IV graphics and music (at least, that style)
- max 8 party members only - adding more charactrs adds a lot of tedious work. (I'm open to the idea of fewer party members, like 4)
- 4 party members are male, 4 party members are female - no picking of genders (again, because it's less work)
- be detailed in your design ideas
- I will create the framework and first mission

..:: DESIGN ::..

This section will contain our designs as we finalize them.

Classes

None yet.

Battle Commands

FIGHT - basic attack
ITEM - use an item
ESCAPE - attempt to run away from battle

Spells

None yet.

Attributes

Physical - physical attacks

Conditions

Death - party member is dead

Equipment

Weapons

None yet.

Shields

None yet.

Armors

None yet.

Helms

None yet.

Accessories

None yet.

Usable Items

None yet.

..:: DESIGN GOAL #1: Classes ::..

So, first things first! Let's draw up some class ideas!

For now, I figure we have about 8 playable characters, thus we should probably decide upon at least 8 classes. Realistically, though, I wouldn't go with more than 20, because it jus gets unweildly from there, and we start getting a lot of overlap in skillsets.

The Class Rank is just a generalization of how powerful you feel the class is relative to other classes. Like, a Soldier would be a Basic class, while a Paladin would be Advanced (a soldier who can heal!) while a Templar (from Hero's Realm, who can heal, cast black magic and effect magic AND can attack x2 per round) would be Elite.

For spells, and magic in general, let's go with the FF5 style for designing. Like, say you were suggestion a Mage who deals with attack magic. His battle commands would include:
FIGHT
BLACK MAGIC
ITEM
ESCAPE
...and his spells would list the type of magic spells he can cast.

For spells, I think that general Fire 1, Fire 2, FireAll 1, Heal 1, Heal 2, Haste, HasteAll, etc... will work (unless you guys want Fire/Firemore/Firemost-type spell names?). Explain any non-obvious spells, please.

..:: CLASS DESIGN TEMPLATE ::..

[b][size=14pt]Class Name[/size][/b]
[b]Class Rank:[/b] (Basic/Advanced/Elite)
[b]Class Points:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]

[b]HP:[/b] [out of 7]
[b]MP:[/b] [out of 7]
[b]STR:[/b] [out of 7]
[b]DEF:[/b] [out of 7]
[b]INT:[/b] [out of 7]
[b]AGL:[/b] [out of 7]

[b]Battle Commands:[/b] (Explain any new ones)
FIGHT
ITEM
ESCAPE

[b]Spells:[/b]
(Spell Name - Level Gained - explanation if unusual)

[b]Condition/Attribute Resistances:[/b]

[b]Dual Wield?[/b]
[b]Mighty Guard?[/b]
[b]AI Control?[/b]
[b]Lock Equip.?[/b]
[b]EXP leveling:[/b] (V.Slow/Slow/Average/Fast/V.Fast)
[b]Equipment Notes:[/b]

[b]General Notes:[/b]

..:: EXAMPLE ::..

Soldier
Class Rank: Basic
Class Points: 500 points (arbitrarily chosen)
Description:
The basic fighter class, with access to good equipment. Slow, good HP, and packs a punch.

HP: 6
MP: 0
STR: 6
DEF: 5
INT: 1
AGL: 1

Battle Commands: (Explain any new ones)
FIGHT
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
None

Condition/Attribute Resistances:
None.

Dual Wield? No
Mighty Guard? No
AI Control? No
Lock Equip.? No
EXP leveling: Average
Equipment Notes:
Can equip heavy weapons, heavy armors, heavy shields and heavy helms. Can't equip mage-like weapons (like wands or robes) but can equip most anything else.
*This will be refined once the master equipment list is drawn up*

General Notes:
A basic fighter class. Probably should be available from the start of the game. The cost of 500 class points is a good base cost. Most basic classes should cost around 500 points (more or less depending on the class's usefulness).

DESIGN SIGN-UPS ::..
1. kentona
2. Fallen-Griever
3. Darken
4. Craze
5. Max McGee
6. Liberty
7. NoblemanNick
8. ChaosProductions
9. GreatRedSpirit
10. Mr.L
11. GameOverProductions
12. AeroGP
13. yamata no orochi
14. Blitzen
15. maia
16. MayorAnime
17. Natook
18. Karsuman
19. DE
20. Chartley
21. Mr.Nemo

Did I miss anyone? Or include someone who's not in?

CHAINGAME SIGN-UPS ::..
1. kentona
2. ??
FYI...

Death
Sleep - cannot act, usually wake up after being hit
Numb - cannot act, persists after battle, needs to be cured using a spell or item
Bikill - x2 STR
Upper - x2 DEF
Focus - x2 INT
Haste - x2 AGL
Weak - STR/2
Sap - DEF/2
Discord - INT/2
Slow - AGL/2
Poison - lose 1 HP every 4 steps
Poisoned - (monsters only) lose HP/turn
Invisibl - evade all physical attacks
Reflect - reflect spells back on caster
Chaos - randomly attack allies
Berserk - random attack enemies, x2 STR, x2 AGL, 35% Hit
Blind - Hit% reduced to 15%
Mute - cannot cast spells

...these are the conditions in Generica. We could probably use them in Missiongarde, since they cover the basic variations. Of course, we can always add more/change names.
This is fucking awesome, much more controlled than the last community project. Also is it possible to use the Dragon Quest SNES remakes sprites? It wouldn't be too hard to convert to that would it? Cause I haven't seen a game that ripped from them besides Dragon Fantasy: My Hero.

Here's a class I've come up with.

Raider
Class Points: 550?
Description: Basic warrior/thief type character, gives bonus to loot.

HP: 4
MP: 0
STR: 6
DEF: 3
INT: 0
AGL: 6

Battle Commands:
FIGHT
RUSH (Increases agi on self for a short period of time, basically haste on self)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
none

Dual Wield? yes
Mighty Guard? no
AI Control? no
Lock Equip.? no
EXP leveling: average
Equipment Notes:
Equips Light armor, like leather or something. Light and medium weight one handed weapons. No mage armor.

General Notes:
Basically it's a melee dps character with very low defense, it's main focus is deal as much damage as possible, when the battle is over, extra loot is obtained by the raider.
Well, I already have rips from NES DW games and made some battlechars out of a handful of them. Plus they are really easy to work with (for someone of my talent level).

But if someone can get a hold of them (and a bunch of matching monsters - FF4 monsters?)

Or we can use FF4 and FF5 style graphics.

I like both those classes, btw.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Carnitank
Class Points: A little less than average
Description: Buff beyond compare, Carnitanks are veritable meatshields.

HP: 7
MP: 2
STR: 3
DEF: 7
INT: 3
AGL: 4

FIGHT
SHIELD*
RAISE**
ITEM
ESCAPE

*Spell command
**Has a level-based chance of reviving any fallen allies to full health. Since I don't know the scope of the game, I'll break it up by quarters of the game and the expected levels for them: Q1 10%, Q2 15%, Q3 20%, Q4 30%; for any levels beyond that (power-leveling player), 40%.

Spells:
Evertank -- Starts -- Minor self-heal
FOREvertank -- Q3 -- Major self-heal
Wrapping -- Starts -- DEF x2 for one
Giftall -- Q2 -- DEFx2 for all
Fire 1 -- Q1
Fire 2 -- Q3
Fire 3 -- Q4
Cure 1 -- Q2
Cure 2 -- Q3
Big Hug -- Q2 -- 80% chance to revive one ally with 50% health
Esuna/status cure/whatev -- Q3

-Immune to Sap, but easily Slowed. Resists instant death (almost immune).

Dual Wield? No.
Mighty Guard? Yes.
AI Control? No.
Lock Equip.? No.
EXP leveling: Fast
Equipment Notes: Gets all of the best heavy armor, plus some unique Carnitank-only shields and some unique Carnitank-only INT+ armors. Equips swords and whips for weapons.

General Notes:
A meatshield (oh lol). He is meant to absorb damage and serve as a back-up healer.
Why Fire spells though?
Craze
The fire spells were supposed to be a joke about cooking meatshields. Also, they provide offensive capabilities since their ATK sucks.

Cryomancer
Class Rank: Expert
Class Points: Average
Description: Masters of things frozen, Cyromancers are masters of time and ice.

HP: 4
MP: 5
STR: 4
DEF: 1
INT: 6
AGL: 5

ICE*
TIME*
ITEM
VANISH**

*Spell commands
**100% chance of escape from random encounters (they can pause time!)

Spells:
Freezetouch -- starts -- 0 MP phys/mag spell (basic attack that mixes ATK and INT)
ICEhand -- starts -- Same as Freezetouch, but a little less damage and a small chance to Slow the enemy
Fingers -- starts -- A weak Freezetouch that hits all enemies
Ice 1-3 -- Same as normal mage
Ice 4 -- Q4 -- super-duper ice damage to one

The following are learned much quicker than normal mages:
Haste (starts with it), Hasteall, Slow, Slowall, Invisibl, Invisiblall

ICESlow -- after Slow -- Ice 2 + slow to one
ICESlowall -- after Slowall -- Ice 2 + slow to all
FrozeBOMB -- after ICESlowall -- Ice 3 + slow to all

-Slightly immune to all status effects except instant death, and immune to Slow (they can reset time slightly to cause effects to sometimes not have happened).

Dual Wield? No.
Mighty Guard? No.
AI Control? No.
Lock Equip.? No.
EXP leveling: Slow
Equipment Notes: Normal magestuffs, except for helms. Cryomancers can only equip Time Helms of various varieties; they are rare and expensive but necessary for the wizard's work.

General Notes:
A specific mage that can pull off some insane damage with Ice 4, as well as give the party tons of speed advantages, even against normal enemies!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I would have signed up for this already if it was for VX. Oh well, maybe I will design a class or two.
Magic Hunter
Class Rank: Advanced
Class Points: reasonably high
Description: Anti Magic User

HP: 3
MP: 5
STR: 3
DEF: 2
INT: 6
AGL: 4

FIGHT
ANTI MAGIC(spells)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
Crush START (Does damage to enemy's MP)
Dispel -- Q1 (removes magic type conditions on ally or monster)
Shell -- Q2 (protects from magic damage)
Silence -- Q2 (mute)
Crush 2 -- Q3 (upgrade version of Crush)
Siphon -- Q3 (Steals MP from target)
Mind Break -- Q4 (Takes the lost MP from the target and subtracts it onto his health, for example if imp has 20/50 MP, Mind Break will do 30 damage, this might need a lot of tweaking to get the skill right, if it's not workable, ditch it. Though I would love to have a skill that allows this guy to do damage through MP related means)
Silence 2 -- Q4 (upgraded version of silence)
Reverse Spell -- Q4 (casts reflect on ally)

Dual Wield? no
Mighty Guard? no
AI Control? no
Lock Equip.?
EXP leveling: slow/average
Equipment Notes:
Can wield bows/ranged weapons, wears light armor, can also use mage weapons, but not mage armor

General Notes:
This is something that would be very useful mid/late-game. This guy is basically an anti-magic user that can not only destroy magic type enemies, but also protect allies from them. I guess this guy might need some tweaking here and there so he doesn't become too overpowered.
Randomizer
Class Rank: Advanced
Class Points: Average
Description: Random damage mage/fighter/inflictor

HP:
MP:
STR:
DEF:
INT:
AGL:

FIGHT
RANDOMISATION (skills/spells)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
ElemUp - START - Randomly chooses an element for weapon attack (self)
Self Infliction - START - Inflicts a random status (both good or bad, low end) on self for a boost in a random stat.
Whackery - Q1 - Random low-low/med damage on all enemies.
Statustry - Q1 - Inflicts a random low-end Status effect on all enemies. (med chance of infliction)
Flamery - Q2 - Uses a random Fire spell.
Icery - Q2 - Uses a random Ice spell.
Airy - Q2 - Uses a random Air spell.
Earthery - Q2 - Uses a random Earth spell.
Enhancery - Q3 - Inflicts a random good low/med status effect on the party.
Thwakery - Q4 - Random mid-v.high damage on one enemy.
Deathery - Q4 - Random chance of death (mid/low) on one enemy.
Elementary - Q4 - A spell that attacks with an elemental barrage. (all elements, low-med damage, all enemies)

Confusion resistance

Dual Wield? yes
Mighty Guard? no
AI Control? maybe
Lock Equip.? no
EXP levelling: Slow
Equipment Notes:
Can use mace/knives, light armour, light helms

General Notes:
May require a bit of tweaking and a lot of luck, but a Randomizer has the potential to be either very good or pretty scary to have on your team. Pretty basic statistic wise. Note that a Randomizer has no healing capabilities.
Max McGee
Knight
Class Rank: Basic to Advanced
Class Points:600?
Description:Noble paragons of chivalry, knights are leaders of men who fight to rescue fair maidens and defend the weak.

HP: 6
MP: 2
STR:5
DEF:5
INT:2
AGL:2

FIGHT
RALLY (See below.)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Orations:
Moving Oration - Q2 - Increases entire party's speed.
Battle Scream - Q2 - Inflicts Fear (minor reduction to all stats) on all enemies.
Call to Arms - Q1 - Increases (physical) attack power of entire party.
Heroic Stand - Q1 -Restores some health to entire party.
Shield of Honor - Q1 - Increases defense of entire party.
Coat of Arms - Q3 - Increases own defense, attack power, and speed.
Clarion Call - Q3 - Lowish % chance to revive dead allies.
Stare Down - Q4 - Good chance to paralyze one enemy.

Immune to fear based effects.

Dual Wield? No.
Mighty Guard? Yes.
AI Control? No.
Lock Equip.? No.
EXP leveling: Average. (V.Slow/Slow/Average/Fast/V.Fast)
Equipment Notes: Knights can equip all heavy armor, swords, and shields. They should PROBABLY not be able to equip weapons that the soldier can equip (maces, flails, spears) otherwise the Knight is just out and out better than the Soldier.

General Notes: The Knight is essentially a tank with a twist. It does everything the soldier does just as well, plus the Knight has skills. The Knight relies on charisma; these skills, likewise, rely on leadership and intimidation to buff/debuff. The Knight has very low MP, though, and so can't use these skills more than a few times before he's out.

author=kentona link=topic=3474.msg69432#msg69432 date=1238887498
Well, I already have rips from NES DW games and made some battlechars out of a handful of them. Plus they are really easy to work with (for someone of my talent level).

But if someone can get a hold of them (and a bunch of matching monsters - FF4 monsters?)

Or we can use FF4 and FF5 style graphics.

Well looking around, it's actually hard to find DQ snes chipsets. I can find the charasets and monsters easily but the chipsets might be a problem. I guess we could go the ff4/ff5 way, but make it strictly that, and not ff4/ff5/ff6/RTP to make it a little different from Hero's Realm.
... otherwise the Knight is just out and out better than the Soldier.
That's fine. We can just make it so that more advanced classes aren't available right away, or cost more Class Points that the player starts with.

EDIT:
I'll bombarb this with my ideas soon. I came up with some high level ideas for about 36 classes in my doodlings for Generica II. I'll pick the choisest ones (that don't overlap with existing class ideas).
Max McGee
I have a problem with the enchanter class. My problem with the enchanter class is that what you are describing could be an evoker, an elementalist, or a spellsword but is NOT NOT NOT an enchanter.

Now we are on magology, which is very much my turf. VERY scientific. :P

If necessary, I can post what a real enchanter would look like to illustrate my point.
Craze
Max, I think that KNIGHT should be an Expert class or something since it is basically the exact same as a Carnitank with a Fear twist instead of Fire. :<
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
Necromancer
Class Rank: Advance
Class Points: Above Average
Description: Wizards able to revive their dead party members with dark energy, can also employ the undead as their soldiers. Also place curses on your enemies.

HP:
MP:
STR:
DEF:
INT:
AGL:

FIGHT
DARK ARTS- Basically their spells and curses
CONTROL- Control your dark resurrected allies.
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
(Spell Name - Level Gained - explanation if unusual) There's also one enemy range and every enemy for all the curses.

Dark Arts
Slow- Q1 - Lower an enemy's agility.
Guard Break- Q1 - Lower an enemy's defense.
Dull- Q1- Lower an enemy's attack.
Dark Revive- Q2 - Raise a dead ally however they come back as a dark minion.
Shadow Cry- Q2 - Inflicts fear on an opponent.
DarkBOOST- Q2 - All curses and dark spells are strengthen and more effective.
Nightmare- Q3 - 60% Instant Kill Chance of enemies with FEAR inflicted.

Govern
Defend!- Q1 - Call for your dark minion(s) to take any damage you may take.
Aid!- Q2 - Call for your dark minion(s) to aid in your spell to make it more powerful.
Charge!- Q3 - Call for your dark minions to attack at once!

Condition/Attribute Resistances: Is weak against light, strong against darkness. Cannot be inflicted with FEAR.

Dual Wield? No
Mighty Guard? No
AI Control? No
Lock Equip.? No
EXP leveling: Slow/Average
Equipment Notes: Can equip the normal things wizards and other magic users can equip, such as staffs, orbs, wands, and such. Can equip items which have a negative effect without taking said effect.

General Notes: A dark wizard with a battle leader twist, not someone to sue with melee. Strategy incurs lowering your enemies stats as your opponents destroy them. If your allies die, using "Dark Revive" and then using the govern skills to inflict damage.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Raider Huntsman
Class Rank: (Elite)
Class Points: 15,000 / male only
Description: Raiders solve all problems with muscle. Their muscles have muscles have muscles have...

HP:
MP:
STR:
DEF:
INT:
AGL:

MOMENTUM - A normal attack that gains power when used in succession.
PUGALISM - Huntsman Command. Solve problems with brawn. Brains are for wussies!
QUICK POCKETS - Use an Item, and follow up with another action.
CERTAIN ESCAPE - Guaranteed escape from a random encounter.

Spells:
Quarter 1:
Earth I - You never know, an enemy might be phys-immune.
Earth Boost - Increase magic by 1 each time you cast an earth spell.
Knockout - 10% chance of 1000 physical damage.
Crackdown - Physical damage and remove defense buffs.
Scatterbreak - Physical damage and reduce resistance to physical attacks

Quarter 2:
Earth II - Of course.
Natural Wall - Raise party's Earth resistance.
Natural Resistance - Become Earth-immune naturally.
Howl - Reduce one foe's defense to zero.
Madness - Raise one ally's attack by 100. (or some other ridiculous amount)
Quick Pockets - Allow use of items followed by a physical attack.

Quarter 3:
Earth III - Of course.
Natural blessing: Absorb Earth damage naturally.
Momentum - Physical attacks gain power when used in succession.
Physical Wall - Increase the paty's resistance to physical attacks.
Crusader - Truly high-end physical attack.

Quarter 4:
Quake - Damage ALL units for severs Earth damage.
Focus - Double the user's stats.
Recharge - Restore some SP.
Phys > Magic - Spells use physical attack instead of mysticality.
Rage - Attack three times in rapid succession.
Enforce - Allows use of Focus on the party.

Immune to Controlling effects.
Earth resistance is gained with levels.
Weak to wind and lightning damage.
Resists physical damage.

Dual Wield? And how!
Mighty Guard? No.
AI Control? Never.
Lock Equip.? No.
EXP leveling: (Fast)
Equipment Notes: Any one-handed melee weapon. NO ARMOR OF ANY KIND.

General Notes: High-end maraders that combo well with any sort of Druid or Ranger, especially if they can be made to absorb earth as well.