TOP TEN TOPIC: 10 FAVORITE COMIC STRIPS!

Pages: first 12 next last
Time for another round of RMN most neglected topic! (Brought to you by the letters K and G and the number 4)

Once again, wikipedia comes to my rescue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comic_strips. Good for them.

Now, I am opening the catergory to include Webcomics, if that's your thing. Be sure to provide us with a link at least. While characters like Batman and the Hulk might have had a comic strip, they are really considered comic books, which is a subject of another Top 10 list altogether.

My writing is very uninspired in this one, but I doubt you read it anyways...

..:: Top 10 List of Favorite Comic Strips ::..

10. Blondie
Okay, so I'm starting off with an old one. But it makes me laugh fairly consistently so it gets the nod.

9. Pearls Before Swine
Was incredibly funny when it first came out, but has dropped off precipitously since then. If it stayed as funny as the first year's work, it'd be Top 5, for sure. Still good for a giggle now and then.

8. Hägar the Horrible
You'd think the jokes would get stale by now...

7. Herman
Funny, funny, funny one panel strip. And a very unique art style.

6. Penny Arcade
Everyone should know this one.

5. Garfield
Everyone DOES know this one. I read Garfield like crazy as a kid, and it's still pretty funny 10 years later. But talk about selling out...

4. Dilbert
This isn't a comic strip. It is a documentary (and I am living it).

3. FoxTrot
This should be everybody's favorite comic strip that is still in production. This, and #2 and #1 are in a class of their own when talking about funny comic strips. Plus, there are so many nerd in-jokes that I can't help but appreciate it.

2. The Far Side
I've read them all at least 4 times, and they still make me laugh. Best one-panel comic "strip" in existance.

1. Calvin & Hobbes
This is the pinnacle of the Comic strip. It is what all other comic strips aspire to be.

progressiveboink (fan site) puts it better than I ever could:
Hundreds of comic strips have been published in newspapers. The majority are terrible, and almost all the rest are mediocre. There have been maybe four or five good comic strips in the history of the world. So saying that Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic strip ever doesn't really hold a lot of weight.

And it's really a shame that it's so difficult to quantify this strip's greatness. I can confidently state that Calvin and Hobbes outclasses the rest of the comic strip world more than anything else has ever outclassed the rest of its medium. Sans this strip, the industry is characterized by guys sitting on rocks making stupid puns, a Family Circus kid misunderstanding the meaning of a word, or an overweight father playing golf while telling jokes such as I LIKE GOLF and GOLF IS HARD. It's a medium that doesn't really deserve something as good as Calvin and Hobbes, but it got it anyway, and the newspaper-reading world was made a better place by it.

Calvin and Hobbes ran from 1985 to 1995. Bill Watterson drew thousands of strips, and while I wish like hell that he would come back and draw more, it's probably best to reflect and be thankful for what he's done. Below we have showcased, in no particular order, some of our favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips of all time. If you love them as much as we do, let us know if you think there are any that we should have included. And if you missed out, well, hopefully we can give you some idea of why Mr. Watterson is our hero.

And, yes, I own all the books AND the $200 hardbound collection. The strip is just that good, people.

Honorable mentions:
Get Fuzzy
Peanuts
Blondie
Rose Is Rose
Non Sequitur
Pickles
B.C.
Betty
VG Cats
8-Bit Theater
Ctrl+Alt+Del

Previous Top Ten Topics:
Week 3: Top 10 Favorite TV Shows
Week 2: Top 10 Favorite N64 games
Week 1: Top 10 Favorite SNES games
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
www.xkcd.com
www.overcompensating.com
I don't really know of many so . . .

6. That one online strip with the dinosaurs that are always doing the smae thing
5. The one strip with stick figures
4. That one with "Christian" in the name that is really pessimistic and hillarious
3. Calvin and Hobbs
2. Dilbert
1. Prince Valiant (look this up sometime; it's the coolest and most ambitious strip ever)
Pearls Before Swine, Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts and the Far Side come in on the top, as far as printed comics go. As for webcomics...

10. RPG World (www.rpgworldcomic.com)...on hiatus, but really funny for Squaresoft fans. Characters are pretty good as well, and having a hero who's special attack is called "You've Got Served" is always a plus.

9. 8 Bit Theater (www.nuklearpower.com)...starring Black Mage, the most incredibly awesome and most totally evil antihero in any comic ever.

8. No Rest for the Wicked (www.forthewicked.net)...The League of Extraordinary Gentleman meets Grimm's faerie tales meets manga. Almost more enjoyment per page than six pages of Inverloch (www.seraph-inn.com), but updates too slowly. Otherwise, this would be in the top five, at least.

7. Crowfeathers (www.crowfeathers.net)...Oddly reminiscent of Fullmetal Alchemist, but set in the Wild West, with gore. And a bit of naughty stuff. Still great, if you can handle that sort of thing.

6. Dr. McNinja (www.drmcninja.com)...the strange and wonderful adventures of an Irish doctor who is also a ninja. Utterly insane, but also ridiculously funny, in most cases.

5. Girl Genius (www.girlgeniusonline.com)...a webcomic with a great concept. Also happens to be really, really fun to read.

4. Gunnerkrigg Court (www.gunnerkrigg.com)...sort of Harry Potter meets Neil Gaiman, mixed with alchemic symbolism, among other things. One of the most compelling plots out there, if only because it's so difficult to predict.

3. Order of the Stick (www.giantitp.com)...Dungeons and Dragons humor...with heart! And character development! And humor! They blame Cerebus.

2. Sluggy Freelance (www.sluggy.com)...the quintessential webcomic. Even if it's regressed a bit over the years, and isn't quite as funny as it once was, its combined archive composes one of the absolute best, if not the best, webcomics out there.

1. Achewood (www.achewood.com)...either you'll think this is the funniest thing ever, or it won't make much sense at all. While webcomics like Dr. McNinja make you go "What the hell?", Achewood makes you go "Huh," and actually think for a couple of seconds.
Rather than just repeat everything everyone else said, I'll just throw in Scary Go Round. Totally my favorite strip on the web. Also, Mewd, if you like Machall, you should probably check out Three Panel Soul, if you don't already know about it, since it's essentially the continuation.
Awesome.

This is the placeholder for domain girlgenius.com. If you see this page after uploading site content you probably have not replaced the index.html file.

This page has been automatically generated by Plesk.
Good ol' Plesk.
Whoops.

It's girlgeniusonline.com, actually. Sorry about that.

It's about mad scientists, and features strange, seemingly invincible biological constructs called Jagermonsters. They speak in Transylvanian accents. The Jagermonsters, that is.

Scary Go Round is pretty good, but I haven't read much of it yet.

Oh, and Errrant Story. Can't forget Errant Story.

(www.errantstory.com)

Featuring the adventures of a half-elf named Meiji, whose only hope of graduating from her high school is to get an A on her senior project...by using dark and forbidden magic to turn herself into a demigod and defeat all the teachers in her school in single combat!

It's a bit wordy, but the concept is priceless.
For print comics, I like Doonesbury, Zits, Dilbert, Calvin and Hobbes, and The Far Side. Dilbert and Zits are top, though.

As for webcomics...

I pretty much just read Megatokyo (win para mi), some xkcd, and VG Cats, when he manages to update. And I read The Perry Bible Fellowship every once in a while. Anything else is not a favorite.
I quite enjoy the LEGO bible over at http://www.thebricktestament.com/. (It counts as a webcomic because I say so).
Quote from kentona: Feel free to post in any of the previous Top 10 topics! Necroposting does not apply to these topics by decree of Junior Executive Vice President kentona ESQ.

I just finished Minus, and it is probably the best webcomic I have ever read.

That is most likely an overreaction. Still, the fact that Minus, a comic with little continuity other than characters and brief one-off storylines, can have an absolutely heart-rending ending is nothing short of miraculous.

You can read it here: http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/minus.html

(It is about the adventures of a young girl with omnipotent powers, and plays out like Little Nemo in Slumberland with pop-culture sensibilities)

The only edit was cutting out the rest of the comic.

Somewhat Consistantly Good In-Print Comics:
Pearls Before Swine
Dilbert
The Phantom
Jay Jonas Jamenson's Dating Misadventures (too bad it only shows up infrequently in some terrible comic called Spiderman. JJJ is the only not-awful character on that strip)

Somewhat Consistantly Good Webcomics:
Rumblo (mostly Horribleville and the custom comics)
Fanboys

Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side are still the best comics though.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
1-10. Penny Arcade

It's the only one I really read anymore. I used to be kind of a Dork Tower/8-Bit Theater guy, as well, but not so much anymore.

Also: Chick Tracts. ;D
10) Zits
9) Mutts
8) FoxTrot
7) Non Sequitur
6) Garfield
5) Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (http://www.smbc-comics.com/ - exactly my sense of humor)
4) The Far Side (The above only better)
3) Jack (http://www.pholph.com/ - the art could certainly stand to be improved but I love the story so much that I don't care)
2) When I Was Short (I used to read this strip, which I had in compilation form, over and over as a kid until I basically had it memorized.)

And my favorite strip ever:

1) Penny and Aggie (http://www.pennyandaggie.com/ - Incredibly good with amazing art. Yeah. Nothing wrong with this strip in the slightest.)
Chick Tracts, definitely. Nothing can possibly make me laugh like those do.

Although I also love Knights of the Dinner Table.
I just remembered the Perry Bible Fellowship!

You can read it here: www.pbfcomics.com

Also, Rice Boy is definitely worth reading. It's sort of like Bone except three times more surreal.

http://riceboy.jho-tan.com/
author=yamata no orochi link=topic=360.msg48138#msg48138 date=1228094355

HAHAHA, yeah, PBF is amazing. I can't believe I forgot it : (
author=aprilschild link=topic=360.msg48202#msg48202 date=1228122230
author=yamata no orochi link=topic=360.msg48138#msg48138 date=1228094355

HAHAHA, yeah, PBF is amazing. I can't believe I forgot it : (
Ha ha, same for me. I just went through all of the archive again.
Pages: first 12 next last