SWINE FLU

Pages: first 12 next last
This has been constantly on the news today. Is it really going to be pandemic? I remember the H5N1 virus being touted as the next influenza and then it just died out. The media just hype up anything they can find nowadays.
oh no 150 people have died in mexico we're next !! oh wait mexico doesn't have a quarter of our infrastructure either and can't distribute widely available treatment effectively (through no fault of their own)
i'm not very worried because i have the mother of all immune systems
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
Hm, it doesn't scare me that much but that doesn't mean I'm disproving it. When the vaccine is available I will go and get it, just for my own reassurance and comfort. My father works at a meat packaging plant, so I sprung this question here. There are enough rescources here in the states for pig to not get any of it from Mexico.
I live in southern Oklahoma, and there's been confirmed cases in Texas. :(

Maybe I could stockpile food and live like a hermit for a few months until this blows over.

author=NoblemanNick link=topic=3616.msg72626#msg72626 date=1240874387
There are enough rescources here in the states for pig to not get any of it from Mexico.
Swine influenza viruses don't spread through food.
The thing is, this is spreading across humans rather than just pigs. It's a combo of poultry, swine, human and avian influenza which sounds quite unsettling but I'm sure the government here know what they're doing.
This reminds me of all the hoopla about SARS. And Bird Flu. And Y2K. And Nostradamus' predictions. And so on! Basically, I think at least some of this is paranoid hysteria, but still, everyone should be safe and take commonsense precautions, because you just never know.
Ha, we're pretty safe here in Australia, but not safe enough.
At our airports, we have a pretty tight (sarcasm) system.

Officer: "Are you feeling ill? Sick perhaps?"
Passenger: "No".
Officer: "Kay, you can go now".
(Ushers passenger away).

Seriously, it's ridiculous >:(.

Literally just ate two pork chops.
author=Natook link=topic=3616.msg72638#msg72638 date=1240877407
Literally just ate two pork chops.

Guess we won't be seeing much of you pretty soon (lol)

This doesn't bother me that much, though I get worried about shit stuff like this pretty easily. Hopefully there will be some kind of vaccine.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I now have purell hanging from my belt loop. It is both a fashion accessory and a prevention measure!
Purell kills 99.9% of bacteria...too bad flu is a virus! (and leaves that 0.1% who is resistant to breed!)

Seriously, people should stop having sex with pigs.

Actually, seriously, people need to wash their hands more often.

@Feldschlacht IV: You forgot West Nile Virus and listeriosis.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=kentona link=topic=3616.msg72721#msg72721 date=1240939542
Actually, seriously, people need to wash their hands more often.

When I don't have a sink, I have Purell. Obviously it isn't going to soak through my skin and start producing white warrior cells. =P
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=3616.msg72634#msg72634 date=1240875529
This reminds me of all the hoopla about SARS. And Bird Flu. And Y2K. And Nostradamus' predictions. And so on! Basically, I think at least some of this is paranoid hysteria, but still, everyone should be safe and take commonsense precautions, because you just never know.
Basically this! I also don't very often eat Pork/Pig products so I don't really think it's a substantial issue!
I'm in the Maritimes in Canada. It's probobly just a matter of time before I get it.
*shudder*

But what exactly are the symptoms of swine flu? People are just saying it's bad, but I'm not sure they even know what it is.
My immune system is equipped with the biological equivalent of fully automatic military assault rifles, with night vision and laser scopes. And we have recently acquired phosphorous grenades, cluster bombs and anti personnel fragmentation mines.
author=Mr.L link=topic=3616.msg72736#msg72736 date=1240944217
But what exactly are the symptoms of swine flu? People are just saying it's bad, but I'm not sure they even know what it is.

Did you suddenly find yourself resisting the urge to roll in a pool of mud?

Swine flu symptoms include high fever, body aches, headaches, coughing, sore throat, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue and chills. The disease is transmitted directly between people, and not through animals, making it highly contagious. A single cough of an infected person can transmit the sickness to an entire room full of people.

http://www.albawaba.com/en/countries/Egypt/244620
Wasn't there an outbreak of swine flu about 60+ years ago? The media is just hyping it up. There's vaccines and prevention measures for it already. In a year or so we'll all stop caring and nothing bad will happen. When we get a real pandemic where it's airborne and starts killing people by the thousands every day, then I'll be concerned. Until then, pork chops!
Magi
Resident Terrapin
my girlfriend just got back from mexico and is a pig. should i be worried?
First of all, in response to several posts that lead me to believe they didn't read this when I posted it earlier:
Swine influenza viruses don't spread through food i.e. you can't get it by eating pork.1

author=Natook link=topic=3616.msg72833#msg72833 date=1240974161
Wasn't there an outbreak of swine flu about 60+ years ago? The media is just hyping it up. There's vaccines and prevention measures for it already. In a year or so we'll all stop caring and nothing bad will happen. When we get a real pandemic where it's airborne and starts killing people by the thousands every day, then I'll be concerned. Until then, pork chops!

Swine flu isn't actually an acurate name. What makes this flu so deadly is that it has both human, pig, and bird flu parts in it (so the flu would more aptly be named Man Bird Pig flu), the first of its kind that has ever been seen. There are no vaccines, and it will be months before vaccines can be completed if it gets bad enough that production of the vaccine is ordered.

1What you want me to cite sources?
you watch too much south park.
Pages: first 12 next last