RPG INTROS

I change my own intros as often as I change pants.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
This is why games are never completed.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=3684.msg74036#msg74036 date=1241803515
Just piping in to say that skipping cutscenes is the greatest feature ever implemented after saving anywhere

Total agreeance
I think Karsuman nailed it but one thing I'd like to address.

author=MayorAnime link=topic=3684.msg74217#msg74217 date=1241932366
I've had players of Lost Legacy tell me that they hate its long intro, like yourself. I've also had players of Lost Legacy tell me that they loved the long intro, some even saying that it drew them into the game. Therefore, it's the opinion of the individual player, and to try and set a standard on the designer is ridiculous. The industry doesn't have standards for intro length and cutscene length, why should an Indie community? Indie communities are supposed to be less restrictive than their mainstream counterparts, not more.

So to answer your question, 'Why a long intro?', the only answer I can give is 'Because that's what the designer wants to do'. Sure, he alienates one group of players, but at the same time he draws in another.

This doesn't entirely depend on the player's opinion, it also depends on the player's patience. Short intros bring in impatient players and patient players, it's a win-win situation, there's no risk of your game being neglected in the first minute. A shitty short intro is always better than a shitty long intro.
If your gameplay isn't that strong, you might as well make a longer intro - having people hooked into the story is going to be what makes them keep on going, and you're going to lose the gameplay-focused people anyway.

On the other hand, if you have strong gameplay, you should hit people in the face with this fact as soon as possible, possibly even before your intro.

So, I'd argue you should arrange your game to play to it's strengths.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
No. You should just have good gameplay.

It is not a stupid balance board or see-saw. A good game needs good gameplay. If it's an RPG, the player also expects some sort of hook and a handful of carrots; it does not even have to be a GOOD STORY (hello Jung) as long as it has enough spunk to give reason to the RPG's battles and dungeons (which should be the focus of the game designer).

Oh wait we were talking about intros

MODIFY: (OH BTW you should listen to me because I have 1) several completed games 2) several popular completed games and demos and 3) I know what I'm doing)

MODIFY2:
sasosonwa (6:31:07 AM): you liked harbinger's intro, right? so people can still have good story-based intros.
sasosonwa (6:31:24 AM): I will admit, though, I saw fractal's post and I scoffed =P
sasosonwa (6:31:42 AM): why except one over the other anyway? It's silly.
sasosonwa (6:31:46 AM): accept*...
CrazeTex (6:32:00 AM): Harb was based on gameplay.
sasosonwa (6:32:09 AM): well, yes.
CrazeTex (6:32:12 AM): You developed it as an in-depth dungeon crawler.
sasosonwa (6:32:13 AM): but it is a topic about intros
sasosonwa (6:32:16 AM): XD
CrazeTex (6:32:21 AM): The intro had a forest maze.
CrazeTex (6:32:27 AM): The intro had a battle.
CrazeTex (6:32:40 AM): It was part of the game, not a panorama.
CrazeTex (6:32:50 AM): *panorama with scrolling text
sasosonwa (6:33:05 AM): haha
CrazeTex (6:33:43 AM): Oblivion has the best intro the entire world (yes, better than FFX-2's, which I love and know most of the lyrics to)
CrazeTex (6:33:49 AM): .
CrazeTex (6:33:57 AM): There is not even a splash screen.
sasosonwa (6:34:02 AM): imo
sasosonwa (6:34:09 AM): oblivion's is pretty annoying
CrazeTex (6:34:36 AM): I will not deny that, but it DOES set the tone for an EPIC ADVENTURE without drowning you in facts.
CrazeTex (6:34:46 AM): also I meant the movie, not the tutorial.
sasosonwa (6:35:38 AM): oh
CrazeTex (6:35:52 AM): When you load Oblivion, you see the necessary logos and then OBLIVION unzooms onto the main menu (this is all skippable).
CrazeTex (6:36:00 AM): Then the new game movie is, like, 60 seconds
CrazeTex (6:36:22 AM): and has Patrick Stewart
CrazeTex (6:36:53 AM): and is this sweeping display of a GINORMOUS FANTASY CITY that is not a stupid ugly castle
CrazeTex (6:36:56 AM): and there is great music
CrazeTex (6:37:07 AM): and then you create your character and get insulted.
CrazeTex (6:37:10 AM): Best intro ever.
CrazeTex (6:37:36 AM): I guess that I am trying to say is that tone > substance.
CrazeTex (6:37:42 AM): *what I am
sasosonwa (6:37:55 AM): haha
sasosonwa (6:38:14 AM): harbinger was probably both of those.
CrazeTex (6:38:36 AM): It was.
CrazeTex (6:38:55 AM): But it's not a see-saw.
CrazeTex (6:39:05 AM): A game NEEDS tone.
CrazeTex (6:39:16 AM): Even if the substance is lacking or makes little sense.
CrazeTex (6:39:49 AM): A game that has both is even better. =D
CrazeTex (6:40:12 AM): (and by substance I mean not-gameplay stuff)
CrazeTex (6:40:20 AM): So basically
sasosonwa (6:40:47 AM): lol
CrazeTex (6:40:54 AM): gameplay^3 + tone^2 + (substance * developer.INT) = success
sasosonwa (6:41:02 AM): haha
sasosonwa (6:41:15 AM): I like how you turned it into code
Craze is right.

gameplay > all

you basically need a very good story, very good charecters, very good dialogue, and very good maps, to make up for mediocre game play(simplistic or unoriginal)

nothing can save bad gameplay (tedious battles, broken balancing)
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Maybe it's cause I have a "I don't care" attitude, but intros, cutscenes, or whatever don't bother me if they are long or short, skippable or not, just as long as the rest of the game works.

But if they're long, for the love of god, have a save point after it or save all option. It will begin to annoy me if I have to go through it a 3rd-4th time. I blame Xenosaga.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=3684.msg74036#msg74036 date=1241803515
Just piping in to say that skipping cutscenes is the greatest feature ever implemented after saving anywhere

Agree on skipping, massively disagree on saving anywhere. Take the training wheels off!
author=Karsuman link=topic=3684.msg74221#msg74221 date=1241936649
Making a long intro is a MASSIVE risk; this community is very cynical. We do not wait for things to 'pick up'. If it's boring, we do not lose a damn thing by exiting out and playing a better game. You need to keep this in mind with your players. They owe you nothing. You owe them everything. You need to show them a good time or they will dump you immediately, not unlike a spoiled prom queen. The reason why I say the players know nothing is because they are looking for you to guide them and give them a reason to enjoy your game.
author=Darken link=topic=3684.msg74397#msg74397 date=1242018345
This doesn't entirely depend on the player's opinion, it also depends on the player's patience. Short intros bring in impatient players and patient players, it's a win-win situation, there's no risk of your game being neglected in the first minute. A shitty short intro is always better than a shitty long intro.

Ya see, this is where I have to say I feel that you are both wrong, and voice the basis behind my position, and why I feel the way that I feel.

I keep hearing people here talk about the interests of the community, the community, the community. Specifically, the RM* community (or as I am likely to infer, the RMN community). That scope is far too microscopic, it views only a couple of hundred (or thousand) people, most of who are developers. But in all honestly, the scope being used is actually closer to less than one hundred, since the number of people in this community especially who actively post, develop, etc, is far fewer than the number of people who play RPGMaker games.

Now, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I do listen to my players. That is why the only game I've released on RMN has over 1500 downloads (total, not current, I have deleted and re-uploaded content several times), with a total of over 5000 downloads from the game's original site and megaupload site combined with RMN. Listening to the players is also why my inbox is constantly getting emails of praise on the game's cinematic value, it's deep character development, and (yes) it's introduction and cut scenes.

So you see, while I can respect the opinion about having short intros, stating that opinion as some sort of fact only shows that a scope and view that is extremely limited. I'll make it clear, in case my words so far have not, I'm not making my games for just this community, and neither should any developer here. I believe that the developers here, like myself, should be helping each other make games for the tens to hundreds of thousands of people out there who aren't the least bit interested in developing.

Anyway, to get back to the topic at hand, both Karsu and Darken make extremely good points. I have to agree that if a developers is making a game meant solely for circulation throughout the community, then yes, keep your intro short and sweet, have stellar gameplay, and keep the player entertained. That way, you are sure to get good reviews, compliments, and constructive criticism, which will allow you to become a better developer.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Now, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I do listen to my players. That is why the only game I've released on RMN has over 1500 downloads (total, not current, I have deleted and re-uploaded content several times), with a total of over 5000 downloads from the game's original site and megaupload site combined with RMN. Listening to the players is also why my inbox is constantly getting emails of praise on the game's cinematic value, it's deep character development, and (yes) it's introduction and cut scenes.

Disclaimer:
If anyone mentions in any way the irony of this post, they will be shot. (Maybe not immediately, but one day. I promise.)

Statement Following Disclaimer:
Seriously, STFU.

Signature:
-Max McGee

Postscript:
P.S. I think I will review Mayor Anime's game next. If I can actually force myself to play it.
I wish my game had 5000 downloads.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=kentona link=topic=3684.msg74503#msg74503 date=1242069446
I wish my game had 5000 downloads.

Seconded. (I mean if we really want to compare freakin' epeen here I am sure over the last five years Iron Gaia I has accumulated like 10,000 downloads, going back to the early (well, earlier) days of GW...but still, it only has a couple hundred on RMN while LOST LEGACY: AN ANIMANIA STORY has 1500. And this makes me... :( )
author=Max McGee link=topic=3684.msg74500#msg74500 date=1242069043
Disclaimer:
If anyone mentions in any way the irony of this post, they will be shot. (Maybe not immediately, but one day. I promise.)

Statement Following Disclaimer:
Seriously, STFU.

Signature:
-Max McGee

Postscript:
P.S. I think I will review Mayor Anime's game next. If I can actually force myself to play it.

Cute. Well, if you've offering to trade reviews, I've been itching to review Backstage for a while.
author=Max McGee link=topic=3684.msg74507#msg74507 date=1242069744
Seconded. (I mean if we really want to compare freakin' epeen here I am sure over the last five years Iron Gaia I has accumulated like 10,000 downloads, going back to the early (well, earlier) days of GW...but still, it only has a couple hundred on RMN while LOST LEGACY: AN ANIMANIA STORY has 1500. And this makes me... :( )

Mmmmm....ago now that I look back at things, that was on the arrogant side for me to whip those numbers out. The point I was trying to prove that I can't possibly be doing something wrong if the game is that popular. I admit I got out of hand and do offer an apology to the community as a whole. No one here is better than anyway else.

On a completed unrelated note, Max...

I just saw your comment about two pages ago about my avatar being too large. Are you referring to the face/emo thingy in my sig? Cause if it's that annoying, I don't mind changing it for the sake of keeping the peace.

EDIT: For typos! And content!
It is rather largemungous.
author=MayorAnime link=topic=3684.msg74474#msg74474 date=1242058995
Ya see, this is where I have to say I feel that you are both wrong, and voice the basis behind my position, and why I feel the way that I feel.

You seriously, seriously overestimate this community, and humanity in general. Time and time again what I say has been proven.

I cannot speak for your game as I have not played it (can't stand the idea of playing a crossover fanfic game), but all you provide is a personal experience, which is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Some of us have been around this community for around 10 years and have seen the successes and failures of tons of games, and, well, guess what? Most successful games do have short intros(not all). Long or drab intros tend to be mocked.

Keep in mind that I am arguing this because I know it to be true, not because I am being argumentative; the intro to my released demo is 15 minutes long.
author=kentona link=topic=3684.msg74519#msg74519 date=1242070286
It is rather largemungous.

There! That'll hold me over until I can get something more RMNish created.
author=Karsuman link=topic=3684.msg74524#msg74524 date=1242070563
I cannot speak for your game as I have not played it (can't stand the idea of playing a crossover fanfic game), but all you provide is a personal experience, which is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Some of us have been around this community for around 10 years and have seen the successes and failures of tons of games, and, well, guess what? Most have short intros. Long or drab intros tend to be mocked.

Keep in mind that I am arguing this because I know it to be true, not because I am being argumentative; the intro to my released demo is 15 minutes long.

It's really useless to keep debating this point, especially with posts like that. To say that personal experience, as in 'what works for you', is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, discounts the very core of my position in this debate, and therefore makes it impossible for me to continue without becoming argumentative.

Time and time again, I have seen quite a different set of circumstances and standards, and on a scope that extends beyond this community. So the community is old. Ten years old. Twenty years old. That's fine. But what works in this community doesn't necessarily work outside of it. And to think in such a limited way undermines one's personal growth. Again, my opinion.

But I can see that some people (whoever 'some people ' is) want to band together on this against my position (not me personally...never took any of this as an attack). It's quite alright. If short intros is what the community is comfortable with, then that's their prerogative.

It's impossible for me to continue this thread without switching from debating to arguing. I'll step down from this thread before a mob-mentality kicks in, and wish everyone else the best of luck in answering Nobleman Nick's question.

Peace!
Ok guys we win, lets hit the showers.