HARVEST MOON

Pages: first 12 next last
I just recently bought the new HM game for Wii, and it got me thinking. Not a lot of my friends play these games, so I was wondering how many people in the RPG crowd do. Basically, I decided I had to make a quick questionnaire about it!

1. Do you like/play harvest moon games?
2. What is your favorite Harvest moon game?
3. Why?
4. On your favorite HM game, who was most often your spouse?

1. Yes, of course.
2. Harvest Moon 64. Tree of Tranquility sure is pretty good though.
3. I don't know. I started with this one, and I always found the most fun in playing it. The festivals felt like they had purpose, the house upgrades were sweet, it was all just amazing I guess.
4. On HM 64, I tended to marry Elli. Why I'm not sure. I guess it was because she was the most housewife-ish. Karen was cool too, except one of the times I tried to marry her, she randomly jumped in the water and swam off, never to be seen again. NO idea what triggered that event...

So, GO!
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Never played and hardly heard of these games. Remember seeing a really shit add for the Wii release though.
1. Yup
2. HM64, though Wonderful Life gets an honorable mention
3. It was just the most fun I guess, Wonderful life's graphics were so pretty though, and I liked that it added alot more to the "having a kid" portion of the game
4. on HM64 it was Ann, Muffy on Wonderful Life (so now you know the origin of one of my char's names)
author=Yoshio link=topic=3689.msg73917#msg73917 date=1241737364
1. Yup
2. HM64, though Wonderful Life gets an honorable mention
3. It was just the most fun I guess, Wonderful life's graphics were so pretty though, and I liked that it added alot more to the "having a kid" portion of the game
4. on HM64 it was Ann, Muffy on Wonderful Life (so now you know the origin of one of my char's names)

Muffy? Really? I liked her too, but almost everyone goes for Celia. Strange...
1. Yeah.

2. Not sure, I've played quite a few. Started with the SNES one, went to PSX and then PS2, DS and 64. Oh, and the GB one. I'd probably say the one I played the most is the PSX one. Though I liked the novelty of playing as a girl in one of the DS ones.

3. I just really liked the cutesy graphics and general idea of running a farm/choosing a spouse etc. As for the DS one... I could be a girl! Hell yay!

4. Usually Karen or Ann on the earlier ones. I don't know, I liked the tomboy aspect (though she was a terrible cook) and getting a girl to marry you through plying her with wine was pretty funny.
In the DS girl one I hooked up with the thief guy. I like me bishies. ^.^
1. mmmhm.

2. Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town

3. Friends of Mineral Town was the only one I played a lot. I like the whole... simulation farm vibe a lot. I dunno why, I have a farming... heritage though.

4. Karen. >_>
1. Yes
2. Probably Friends of Mineral town or Rune Factory.
3. The dungeon thing was kinda neat until you get poisoned or paralyzed or silenced. Plenty of storage too and you can usually get some nice enough weapons. The playstation version was the exact same as friends of mineral town, just on the ps. Which, I have both.
4. Karen. All you had to do was buy her some wine and bingo. My kinda lady :P. (I don't even remember who the spouse opportunities were on Rune Factory. Got distracted and now it's hard to jump back in, even though I try to once in awhile.)

Extra thoughts: This genre is starting to go the way of sonic. They are fun games, but needs more things to do other than highlight 9x9 squares, plant seeds, water seeds, sleep, water seeds, sleep, buy a cow, feed cow, water seeds, sleep, pick turnips.. you get the idea. I mean, have you seen all of the types of harvest moon that came out for the ps2? There was some futuristic one goin on and you still needed to farm! Maybe make a slightly larger town with part time jobs?
author=myersguy link=topic=3689.msg73923#msg73923 date=1241745630
Muffy? Really? I liked her too, but almost everyone goes for Celia. Strange...

I also went with Muffy in the DS version of that game. Wouldn't be caught dead with anyone else
I love the concept of Harvest Moon. The only ones I've played extensively are the SNES, GBC and GBA versions. Of those the GBA version was probably my faovrite. Though nostalgia clouds my judgement on the SNES version making it better than it probably is. (I have good memories of that game, in its simplicity)

3. I think the GBA one is my favorite because it takes the good parts of the first one and expands on them. That's what improvement is. It just felt like there was a lot to do in that game and that made it pretty awesome. Though I, of course, would have liked loads and loads more to do.

4. I can't honestly remember. And to be honest "most often" means "the one during my playthrough". There might have been two. I tend to go for the "ones with personality", preferably not the ones with huge hairs (I remember someone with pink hair that was just ginormous).

My sister is hugely into the Harvest Moon games and the reason I didn't play the GBA version that much is because it was her and I only borrowed it for a short while. I think she's owned every single portable Harvest Moon game there is.
author=Natook link=topic=3689.msg73928#msg73928 date=1241747720
...Maybe make a slightly larger town with part time jobs?

Tree of Tranquility features a larger island, with new unlockable areas, and part time jobs! It also features 8 spouses, each with a different child. Your child also grows up (not sure how much) in this one as well. Also, there are ACTUALLY children of the OPPOSITE sex. So you might actually give birth to a girl. If you "Beat" the game (there are a few storyline tasks) you get the chance to play NewGame+. Newgame+ lets you basically start the game again, but as your kid, with all of your money, and some of your tool skill.

Honestly, there are a bunch of other features as well (like the other islands that you can take a ferry to) but without explaining every single one, I'm sure people can see the game evolved quite a bit.
1. Do you like/play harvest moon games?

I played Harvest Moon (SNES), Friends of Mineral Town (GBA), Harvest Moon GB and recently Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness (DS).

2. What is your favorite Harvest moon game?

Probably the SNES one.

3. Why?

I liked the open-ended gameplay much like Animal Crossing and the SNES one was the most memorable I guess. I didn't really get into FoMT but the DS game was okay.

4. On your favorite HM game, who was most often your spouse?

I wish I could remember! Though...on IoH the Witch Princess was picked out of randomness.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
My favorite HM game is the first SNES one. They got progressively more bright and cartoony as the series went on and I just like the look of the original. I managed to get it when it came out from some out-of-town store called "Game Station X", and it was ridiculously overpriced. But, it gave me a really good feeling back then. Running around on the mountain picking berries or waking up in the winter morning to brush my cows... slowly winning the hearts of the beautiful young town maidens... it was quite the gaming experience... :'(
Oooo Yeah, I also liked Harvest Moon 3 for the GBC. Mainly because of the freaking Miracle Gloves! You just had to pick the plant and toss it and it's magically in your bin! Best idea ever for that game... that was never seen again. (that I know of)
Well making sprites (sp?) work for you as slaves tops that IMO.
1.I absolutely love the Harvest Moon series!

2. Id say my favorite is HM64. It brings back the most memories. Magical Melody is probably the only other HM I know of that came as close to being as good as HM64. (thats just me, though ;) )

3.I loved the festivals and town drama and all the choices on who to marry. And Magical Melody I liked them giving the choice on the sex of your character. The one thing I didnt like in MM was that the fesivals were few and not as fun as 64's.

4.I married Karen each and every time, I thought she was adorable :) Once MM came round though I played as female and usually married the carpenter guy..I did in the Wii version as well. (Yes, I am gay..ha ;D )

I remember my brother having a crazed obsession with Popuri..Im sorry her pink eyes just freaked me the hell out..

Of course that's not to say many of the other Hm's weren't good..I have a special place for all the ones I've played but those two stand out the most to me :)
author=Heynowrcp link=topic=3689.msg74266#msg74266 date=1241980335
4.I married Karen each and every time, I thought she was adorable :)

*Loads a shotgun and aims it at heynowrcp* Get away from my wife!

EDIT: Actually, that makes me think it would be cool to add in a hunting aspect to Harvest Moon. I'm sure they could now that they have Rune Factory out where one of the main things about it is killing monsters. But it would be cool to go out to some forrest and walk around with a shotgun or a .22 maybe even a bow. Then have burglers come to your house and try to steal your cattle so you come out with the shotgun and show him whats what. Every farmer everywhere loves to hunt, so really this doesn't seem like a bad idea. Maybe even raise pigs! Or goats that aren't horrible to buy! So many possibilities and ways to expand.
Problem is HM games are 3+ so hunting's out of the question unless of course you're shooting rainbows at unicorns.
Actually, I bet they could make a game set in a different type of world like Rune Factory and throw that in. Maybe when he's older or something. 'cause Rune Factory was rated T.
author=Natook link=topic=3689.msg74344#msg74344 date=1242002457
Then have burglers come to your house and try to steal your cattle so you come out with the shotgun and show him whats what.
It's probably best to leave this part out of your pitch!

But yeah, even just a simple hunting system like BoFII (which wikipedia tells me ESRB gave Kids-Adults rating on SNES, and Everyone on GBA) could work. As long as the blood doesn't spill out as it lies twitching, or anything. I don't think it'd be too hard to get away with some animals flickering and disappearing, or turning into meat, after you've shot them with a bow. To be honest, much more would be gratuitous anyway. Not too sure that you could get away with guns so easily, though.
When I first played Harvest Moon as a kid I thought it was some crazy action RPG where you killed shit with a scythe and hammer, boy was I dissapointed.
Pages: first 12 next last