PLAY MAGAZINE INTERVIEWS LUKE WACHOLTZ OF "THE WAY"

Pages: first prev 12 last
The Way has it's flaws, but it's by far the best RPG Maker game I ever played, and I say any popularity it recieves is great! Far less people have played this game than they should have, hopefully if they read the article, they will get an urge to play it.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=ShadowBlade link=topic=3785.msg75853#msg75853 date=1242802647
2) Luck. Plunges are mainly about Luck and stats rather than skill.
Since when were RPGs about skill rather than stats?
author=Yellow Magic link=topic=3785.msg75865#msg75865 date=1242805350
author=ShadowBlade link=topic=3785.msg75853#msg75853 date=1242802647
2) Luck. Plunges are mainly about Luck and stats rather than skill.
Since when were RPGs about skill rather than stats?

If you are serious, then you might not have played enough RPGs. While there are many games that emphasize stats over skill, there are also many RPGs where stats don't do everything. Heck, even in stat-heavy World of Warcraft* defeating the toughest dungeon bosses requires both stats and skill.

Anyway, I think making a RPG where stats are everything is a pretty bad idea. It just takes away a lot of fun. I prefer games that have combat like what you see in Demon Legacy, Three the Hard Way, Bob's Big Adventure, Aurora Wing, Blades of Exile*, Geneforge*, Phylomortis over games that have mostly "stats" fights like The Way and Diablo II*.

*Not RM games, but they're RPGs anyway... Well, maybe not Diablo II. :P
Is grinding not a skill? I think people are just jealous they don't possess the patience and determination of other players and paint a game like Pokemon* over with luck.

*Rare candies not included.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Dark Gaia link=topic=3785.msg75856#msg75856 date=1242803385
The Way has it's flaws, but it's by far the best RPG Maker game I ever played, and I say any popularity it recieves is great! Far less people have played this game than they should have, hopefully if they read the article, they will get an urge to play it.

This is true but considering the Way is perhaps the most popular RPG Maker game, this is doubly true of all the games out there that are genuinely underappreciated.
author=ZPE link=topic=3785.msg75941#msg75941 date=1242845191
Is grinding not a skill? I think people are just jealous they don't possess the patience and determination of other players and paint a game like Pokemon* over with luck.

Pure grinding (as in spending hours slaughtering hordes of monsters) rarely takes "skill", though, does it? Most of the time these monsters are just weak meatbags who don't pose a real threat, and the only "challenge" lies in being very patient so that you don't die of boredom. Spending days/weeks doing the same thing over and over isn't very appealing to me. I find games who offer a (mostly) constant challenge to be a lot more enjoyable. In Phylomortis : Avant-Garde (yeah, again ;)), levelling was fun because of the battle system : the monsters were always tough to beat, so I never got bored, and because the monster groups were randomized (you never knew what you were going to face), I had to come up with new tactics many times.

As for finding super powerful hidden items, well, that depends on how it's done, and I think The Way could have done it better.

This is true but considering the Way is perhaps the most popular RPG Maker game, this is doubly true of all the games out there that are genuinely underappreciated.

YES
Yellow Magic
If you are serious, then you might not have played enough RPGs. While there are many games that emphasize stats over skill, there are also many RPGs where stats don't do everything. Heck, even in stat-heavy World of Warcraft* defeating the toughest dungeon bosses requires both stats and skill.
How many of these "toughest" dungeons are there? if you go through most of the game without any sort of skill-related difficulty that doesn't say much about the game (in terms of...skill-related difficulty). I've definitely not played as many RPGs as everyone else on this forum but you could probably use a better example.

author=ZPE link=topic=3785.msg75941#msg75941 date=1242845191

Wasting your time is not a skill! (Pokemon can also be very skill-related if you are a smart bugga)
you could probably use a better example.

Well... I kind of did. There are seven other examples in my post. I know WoW isn't the absolute best example, but I mentioned it because it is very famous, and I was saying that even in this stat-heavy game, there are quite a few parts that take some skill (almost every boss in a major dungeon/raid takes at least a bit of trial-and-error, and there are *many* major bosses).
Yellow Magic
You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you I missed out a whole paragraph in your post, but guess what? I did. Apologies.
Anyone has saved a copy of the interview?
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Holy necropost Batman!

How the hell did you even find this to post in it? :P
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
I just replayed the whole series this year and wasn't aware there had been an interview ... I checked and there's no trace of it (for now!).
Pages: first prev 12 last