is it too late for ironhide facepalm
sea captain and the world of to-mog-rrow
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
(7:33:40 PM): so basically
(7:33:48 PM): the military is a drip-feed behavior management scenario
(7:33:54 PM): "shoot things well, get a pretty ribbon"
(7:34:04 PM): "you get a gold star, timmy"
Well, the more ribbons/accomplishments/etc you have, the easier it is to get promoted (more money/privileges/leadership/benefits/etc), especially in today's Navy atmosphere of Perform to Serve, where they're trying to kick everyone out, especially old as shit Chiefs and Senior Chiefs who are hanging on not wanting to retire.

Admittedly, the weapon qual ribbons are mostly for bragging rights, but ribbons that signify your squadron doing exceptionally well, ribbons for volunteer work, ribbons for experience in a certain area, etc etc looks very good on evaluations alongside your other stuff.

And of course it looks impressive to have a lot of ribbons, sure.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
(7:33:40 PM): so basically
(7:33:48 PM): the military is a drip-feed behavior management scenario
(7:33:54 PM): "shoot things well, get a pretty ribbon"
(7:34:04 PM): "you get a gold star, timmy"

This is obviously from someone who doesn't know the military or the lifestyle.
Why not reward someone for being able to shoot well?
Maybe not necessarily the Navy, but proficiency in firearms is very important in warfare. >_>
I have to release Chronology first!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
InfectionFiles
This is obviously from someone who doesn't know the military or the lifestyle.
Why not reward someone for being able to shoot well?

I work at an elementary school and summer camp and wish the world didn't need shooting. :<

Also, I'm almost a vegetarian. (And now all of you hate me.)
I also worked at a summer camp for many years. Now, the government pays me to know how to shoot things and work on ships that shoot bigger things.

Shit happens.

I couldn't be a vegetarian though, I gave it an honest try; meat is too delicious.
InfectionFiles
I have nothing against people who love peace, I really wish peace was a possible thing. :[
Just as much as you, I'm sure.
But sadly, and I know you know, but it doesn't work that way.
I see war as a unfortunate necessity.
So why not praise those that have the courage to step up and do the things you and I wouldn't want to do?

and
I couldn't be a vegetarian though, I gave it an honest try; meat is too delicious.

It's a complicated situation, Infection!
Nice crew-cut mog, its complicated but I think if your shooting a gun might as well do it with best skill, I also wish there was alot more peace than warfare and violence in the world but then again sometimes peace is boring and somber. No offense I'd rather join the Navy than have a day job at an elementary school as naive as I am... but its complicated, war can get real messy...
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year

for once I'm in the female costume ...ok I'm lying, I've cosplayed Squall twice, Aeris and Tifa, so it's 50/50 but...

I make a damn good Squall compared to all the traditional Squall cosplayers we saw yesterday. Or last time.

EDIT: Or any Squall cosplayer I have met in person.
treeghost
a lot better than being a wapanese kiddo
Good lord in heaven it is like in this movie called Quando le Donne Avevano la Coda ...
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
author=treeghost
Good lord in heaven it is like in this movie called Quando le Donne Avevano la Coda ...

Wait, what? I don't have a tail!

Emanzi, thanks! I'm sure there's other photos of me cosplaying in this thread if you wanna look (lol 164 pages of D8) I have two other decent photos of that version of Squall and nothing of the other two (less photos, too busy :P) The older version was a lot crappier before I made adjustments.
InfectionFiles
Kyrsty is a cutie!
Even as Squall...
i think it reflects poorly on tetsuya nomura that so many of his male characters are better cosplayed by girls
Kyrsty makes a good Squall indeed, which sadly reinforces the idea that all FF protagonists are somewhat androgynous.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
What's so bad about androgyny?