TRAILERS FOR AMATEUR GAMES?

Pages: first 12 next last
What do you guys think about making trailers for your Rm- games?
I mean I am sure you guys have seen some trailers or made atleast one. Do you think that trailers are an effective way to advertise your game? Or is it a waste of valuable game making time?

I personally think that trailers can be a big advertisement to your game if it is made well. But that is rare from what I've seen.

pls dscuz :(
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I am more likely to watch at least part of a trailer than to read any of a topic.
I like trailers so long as the are not "prettied" up. If there look as if a creator took their time, and the trailer is a good representation of the game I have no problems.
I don't much see the point unless you have some great system that's only well represented in video.

For one, I just don't think that we should, as creators, be wasting that much time on advertisement. There's just too much work to put in and too little time to put it in to spend time on extravagant advertising materials, imo. At least, until you're done with 100% complete game, there's really nothing to advertise. Demos should be for getting feedback, not getting fans or admiration - no point in a trailer for that. I see even less of a point in spending X hours making a trailer for a game you haven't even released and - let's face it, we all fall victim to this - are not very likely to ever release in any form
author=fredo link=topic=3852.msg77081#msg77081 date=1243395481
I don't much see the point unless you have some great system that's only well represented in video.

For one, I just don't think that we should, as creators, be wasting that much time on advertisement. There's just too much work to put in and too little time to put it in to spend time on extravagant advertising materials, imo.

This. Might as well just put out a demo.

For one, I just don't think that we should, as creators, be wasting that much time on advertisement. There's just too much work to put in and too little time to put it in to spend time on extravagant advertising materials, imo. At least, until you're done with 100% complete game, there's really nothing to advertise. Demos should be for getting feedback, not getting fans or admiration - no point in a trailer for that. I see even less of a point in spending X hours making a trailer for a game you haven't even released and - let's face it, we all fall victim to this - are not very likely to ever release in any form

Pessimistic, aren't we? I feel that trailers can be both an artistic expression and getting the word out for your game. Extravagant advertising materials? Making a good trailer costs 0.00 dollars.
author=Kaiterra link=topic=3852.msg77103#msg77103 date=1243414428

For one, I just don't think that we should, as creators, be wasting that much time on advertisement. There's just too much work to put in and too little time to put it in to spend time on extravagant advertising materials, imo.

This. Might as well just put out a demo.

Well what if you did release a demo but no one played it? That's where the trailer comes in! :D
my entire game applies here.

aaaaargh dhm that trailer. that is the perfect way to advertise your game / BURN YOUR GAME INTO MY BRAIN
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Hah, found one.
Trailers for amateur games seem self-serving. It crosses the line from advertising to hype. A demo will do just fine to "get the word out" and show off game features.
Trailers are a fairly safe bet to showcase what your game's like without having to have it be downloaded. It generally doesn't hurt to make one, and in many cases, it can help you gain a few more downloads than otherwise.

I've done one before for my first game. I might consider doing another one when/if I finish my current project.
author=RAKSHANA link=topic=3852.msg82988#msg82988 date=1246005571
LAN games?
Shooting games are like that, Counter strike, FEAR 2.. etc.
XBOX 360 LIVE also
W... What? I bet it's one of those bots again :-\.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
post=77379
More trailers need to be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCkM2D_9oe0&feature=related
Oh my... I think you should at least link to the *real* one... haw haw.

Anyway from the feedback from existing trailers I've learned in order to be most effective. try to keep the music neutral and the length short (30 seconds to a minute?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np17uPYfMfo
is a trailer I made for SU in about an hour. nothing fancy, but I kept it really short because too many trailers don't get straight to the point... if that makes any sense.
I don't know, I figure if you have fun making the trailer, go ahead. They are also well suited for when your game isn't polished enough for release yet, but you want to get some sort of feedback. Also, they make great release-something's :).

Chartley
What programs do you guys use for these trailers?
I haven't made a trailer, but I've always liked working with Windows Movie Maker ^_^
post=77833
Trailers for amateur games seem self-serving. It crosses the line from advertising to hype. A demo will do just fine to "get the word out" and show off game features.

Sometimes I'd rather watch a video than play a demo if I'm unsure whether to invest time in a game.
Like Fallen Griever said, I only see the need for trailers if the material you have to reveal can't be fully revealed through images or whatever. Videos require a million times more effort than screenshots, so I'd think the rule of thumb should be to do it only when you have something actually worth showing off.
Pages: first 12 next last