FASHION, STYLE, AND HOW MUCH YOU SPEND ON IT.

Pages: first 123 next last
This topic is inspired in part by a discussion I had in another topic here, and in part of a discussion I took part in another forum.

I've always admired the art of style, knowing how to put together clothes, how to mix and match colors, how to pick a style to match the individual, that sort of thing. It may seem superficial, but let's face it, it says a lot about you.

So what's your 'style'? There are a lot of facets to this, how you dress, the color you tend to deck yourself out in, your hairstyle, any name brands you buy? Does your style fall into a category, or are you your own definition?

I myself am not really sure what named 'mold' I fit in, but as for particulars, I'm more of a jeans and shirt kind of guy. Most of my pants are variations of blue jeans, and I try to match up a decent top to go with them. I have a preference for darker colors (but not black, more like blues and grays), but I don't limit myself to them, and I'm a stickler for good materials and texture. I'm really particular about getting shirts that fit. I despise having my shirts looking like they're just hanging off my frame, that sort of thing. But that's just everyday wear. I like the well kept regular guy, look.

As far as looking nice when going out, I'm a fan of a nice white button up, or some dress pants. However, looking 'good' usually comes with a hefty price tag, jeans like True Religion and stuff like Lacoste usually fetches a pretty penny I just flat out can't usually afford. It would be nice, to, though.

So, how do you style yourself?
I spend very very little time on fashion and style and etc. I wear sweaters or Pink Floyd hoodies in the winter, long-sleeved polo and button-up shirts in the spring and fall, and short-sleeved polo and button-up shirts in the summer. As for pants, either cargos or jeans. Mostly cargos because I like the pockets.

In the morning, when I'm about to put something on, I see what I haven't worn in a while and wear that. Occasionally a color might not correspond with what else I'm wearing, or I might be out of white undershirts or something, but there's no real system to it.

Oh, I DO moose my hair a little just so it's straight. If I don't it's frizzy as hell and makes my hair look like it's rectangular on top.

So, yeah.
Jeans and a t-shirt.

If you spend a lot of money on clothes/care too much about appearance then you are >=(
If you spend a lot of money on clothes/care too much about appearance then you are >=(

Couldn't you say the same thing about any hobby or non essential interest one spends a lot of money on?
People who care too much about their physical appearance are kind of vain and arrogant sometimes. There are exceptions, but.. meh.

Heh, you're mog though, that's to be e-expected
Whatever is clean and matches the weather. When my shoes fall apart, I buy new ones. When my jeans are too frayed, I buy new ones. I haven't put any kind of product in my hair since I was 13-years-old, except when I have to dress up for something. After I get out of the shower I dry my hair with a towel and that's the end of it.
author=Jude link=topic=3950.msg78957#msg78957 date=1244427373
Whatever is clean and matches the weather. When my shoes fall apart, I buy new ones. When my jeans are too frayed, I buy new ones. I haven't put any kind of product in my hair since I was 13-years-old. After I get out of the shower I dry my hair with a towel and that's the end of it.

8) you are a cool dude. i actually don't wear clothes to match the weather even though.
No, I'm sort of playing Devil's Advocate, because I don't spend a lot of money on clothes myself!

But yeah, that's an unfair correlation. You're applying a general statement that its dumb/otherwise undesirable to spend a lot of money on clothes, just because many people that do tend to be vain/arrogant? That's not very fair.

Yes, it is dumb to see people go; "Boy, I hope people notice how nice this $500 blazer is!" Yes, that is dumb. However, how is it equally dumb if another person goes "Wow, I've been blessed with the income to afford it comfortably, and this $500 dollar blazer really looks nice on me!"

What I'm trying to say is, spending a lot of money on clothes when A. You don't have it and B. You're doing it so you can look good to other people is dumb, but there are many people out there who spend a (relatively) large amount of money on clothes and on their appearance because they look nice for themselves and their own 'feelgood.' What's the fundamental difference between spending 200 bucks on a pair of jeans and spending 200 bucks on a graphics card or an imported action figure?
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=3950.msg78959#msg78959 date=1244427625
What's the fundamental difference between spending 200 bucks on a pair of jeans and spending 200 bucks on a graphics card or an imported action figure?

Because one of those things you're doing for yourself, and the other you're doing for the way people perceive you. Not that you can't buy action figures to look cool, I guess...
Because one of those things you're doing for yourself, and the other you're doing for the way people perceive you. Not that you can't buy action figures to look cool, I guess...

Believe it or not, you can like looking 'good' (whatever that is) and it can have absolutely nothing to do with how other people perceive you.

But yeah, nevermind this debate, other people can feel free to chip regardless. Azn is apparently SCREWING WITH ME ANYWAY. I just wanted to respond because it was a common viewpoint I wanted to address anyway.
Just about the coolest garment I've ever owned was my Thundercats underwear when I was 4-years-old. Mum-Ra was on my right cheek.
author=AznChipmunk link=topic=3950.msg78963#msg78963 date=1244428803
can't help it it's in my blood
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
I uh... kinda have to wear a suit and tie every day, so, I just do that.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I grew up wearing odds and ends. Hand-me-down jeans and beat-up white tees, the like.

Now that I have the means to dress nice I dress nice whenever possible. It helps make my time in the ghetto feel more distant.
author=harmonic link=topic=3950.msg78985#msg78985 date=1244434871
I uh... kinda have to wear a suit and tie every day, so, I just do that.

Same. I kinda like it, though!
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with taking pride in a sense of style and I also don't think it automatically makes you OVERCOME WITH VANITY, or anything. It all really comes down to whether or not you define yourself through style, which isn't actually a very healthy thing to do! It should complement your image, not become it.

With that said, I didn't really pay attention to/care about LOL CLOTHES until I went to college. I had gone to a private high school, meaning I generally always wore dress/formal clothing, and around the house or out in public I mostly just grabbed whatever. I got a part time job at Hollister last Winter, though, and became a little bit too taken with the merchandise, using the discount to buy a million things that I really didn't need.

But hey, it's fun to experiment. I think everyone is entitled to change their image if they so choose.
Pages: first 123 next last