SUMMER SCREENSHOT SPECTACULAR!

YOU ARE NOT THE REAL EAST

but that looks real(ly) good!
post=92902

Almost makes me want to work on my ABS....Almost.
Probably my last set of screenshots for a while. I am worried that the scenery effects are too heavy.

Is this too dark? For context this is the inside of an office building at night.

And is the fog too thick here? This is the sewer underneath a city.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm

LET THERE BE LIGHT! VISIBILITY GET!!
Also, trying out an FF6 style for sprites. Thoughts?
Tardis, I don't really like the black(?) outline of the sprite, his hands look like crosses, maybe just copy the hands from ff6 people and see how it works? :3
tardis
Those are the hands from the ff6 people- i cut one down, made a template, and worked from that. Nix the black outlines, got it. ;)
@Silveria>> The darkness level is fine. In fact, it's too light for my tastes :D (that's a good thing by the way). The fog could do with a little toning down. Make it a little more transparent (a little more).

@Tardis>>I liked the other sprite style :(.
@Tardis: I prefer the other style too.
@Tardis - What the last two people said

@East - Your like the Lachsen of the U.S. Is there anything you can't do with RPG Maker? I applaud you, sir.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I like the other sprite style, but realistically, it is far easier to use an FF6 style because there are more sprites in FF6 to pick from than dot.shoot (was it?).
post=93064
@East - Your like the Lachsen of the U.S. Is there anything you can't do with RPG Maker? I applaud you, sir.

No, he's far more intelligent. He's using Sphere instead of spending thirty times the amount of time to work around RM limitations. ;)
East's game is being made with Sphere...at least if the game page is to be believed.

To Tardis- Going to jump on the bandwagon here and say that I also liked the old sprite style more. Mostly because the brighter colors made the sprites instantly stand out against the dreary backgrounds, though I suppose you could adjust the FF6 style sprites accordingly.
the ff6 sprite looks a bit out of place but not NEARLY as much out of place as the old sprite did. I think you should try something else; I got the impression that the walls are quite tall and you would therefore need a somewhat taller sprite (but specifically not the old styled ones, too bright, no fat and too animu)

@silviera the shading looks fine; i'd dry out the green colour of the sewers a little though.
tardis
Sprites are really the least of my concern right now- I'm working on getting all the necessary mapping done to send the game over to Defective Detective for some story injection/inclusion of a couple systems he's coding.
I was curious how the FF6 sprite style would look in my maps, and the lot of you are right- they're too small, and just don't suit the tone of the maps. ;)
Sprites are probably the last thing I'm going to do before a demo release, so until then, things are going to look patchy as hell in the sprite department. Thanks for the feedback, all!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games

PUNCH it in the FACE
Hey tardis (or anyone that knows anything about lighting effects), how does one get the soft glow that looks amazing in some of these pictures? Is it the result of several pictures of varying transparency? And if so, how many do you suppose it takes to make it look the best without overloading the game?
post=93144
PUNCH it in the FACE

IN THE FUCKING FACE

That screen is one of the few instances I've actually laughed at an RM game.
face punching is the best hobby ever
post=93221
Hey tardis (or anyone that knows anything about lighting effects), how does one get the soft glow that looks amazing in some of these pictures? Is it the result of several pictures of varying transparency? And if so, how many do you suppose it takes to make it look the best without overloading the game?

Well, that would depend on what you're proficient at and what works for you. Usually, you just use one picture the size of the map (with the glow, etc), and set it's transparency accordingly to how bright/dark you want it (the higher the transparency, the more lighter and subtle it will be. The lower the transparency, the more darker and distinct it will look). Though, you could use multiple pictures if you like, but I have no idea how to do that, and it is just easier to use one picture (that is, if you want static lighting).
You can use a combination of pictures and panoramas to create such effects.
Multiple pictures could be used. Keep all the lights on one picture and you can put the fog on another.

I dunno what you mean by "overloading the game."

And I think I've given away enough of m-my team's s-s-secrets.