WHY IS RPG MAKER STUCK IN THE 20TH CENTURY, GRAPHICS-WISE?

I always felt the graphics on RPGMaker being 2-D was alot of the charm. The graphics haven't gotten too much better (from RM95 to VX), but they still manage to look fun.

3D shmee-dee, I say.
author=Bandito link=topic=3974.msg80953#msg80953 date=1245169397
The main reason rpg maker is still 2d is because 1. japs like 2d graphics and 2. because imagine how much a 3d game maker will cost if the normal 2d maker is 60 bucks...

Imagine how much a 3D maker would cost Enterbrain to make.
Anymore than making one for the Playstation/2?
I made two for the PS1 and they're both crap.

I tried to make one for the PS2, but I was retarded and didn't know how to use it. The furthest I got was designing my characters.

I may give it another shot sometime, though...
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=Bandito link=topic=3974.msg80953#msg80953 date=1245169397
The main reason rpg maker is still 2d is because 1. japs like 2d graphics

Sometimes I do miss not having signatures available...
I'm sure a 3D RPGMaker has come out on the ps2(sorry if someones already mentioned this). And personally, I thought the graphics looked sort of rubbish. At least with the 2d graphics we have, they're decent 2d graphics, yet the 3d graphics are pretty poor.

It's hard for enterbrain to create decent 3d graphics for other people to use and create their own game out of, because then backgrounds, such as in FF7, can't be prerendered, as then it would be a set background, and having 3d backgrounds generally doesn't look very good, as they need to be made in the mindset that other people are going to be picking and choosing which graphics to actually use in their game.

It just doesn't seem worth it, for now anyway.
Maybe enterbrain are working on a brilliant new 3d rpgmaker game, and are just biding their time until it looks perfect(...)
I think you only view it this way because you do not create your own art.

There are lots of enhancements between RM2k3 and XP and VX for artists (although . . . VX is a little more constricting). The increase resolution allows you to use cartoons in ways that just weren't really presentable in grainy RM2k3.

Also, graphics technology in mainstream games hasn't changed much in ten years! The last major development was to a full-3D environment with pixel shaders etc (lighting, bump mapping, physics, real-time deformation etc). It's really just a matter of polygon count, texture detail, and how many shaders games can handle. Does Gears of War 2 look fundamentally different than Quake 3, outside of polish and levels of detail?
I know what you are saying brandon. I was playing a while ago LOZ Majora's mask and I was suprised when I compared to some of today's adventure games. They are not fundamentally different except texture detail, shaders etc...
Many of the person comment are truth or just their form to see the things and well i say as everyone, because its more simple to draw in 2D and if it was in 3D it will be more complicated and maybe not as crazy and good that sound the idea to have a 3D rpg maker. you can create your rpg maker in 3D using rpg maker 2003,XP,VX like mario rpg, With every rpg makers i have seen incredible things, i have seen plataform games like one of a penguin an a duck (I love that game), incredible game trama with 2D in rpg maker in in real games of real franchise's like starless umbra of rpg mekar 2003 (I love that game too but i am getting a little out of patient) shot games like one of rpg maker vx or xp I dont know but it looks amazing, and of vx i havent see much, and why not create a game in 3D using the system that are allready done i will give an aplausse to it. You can create a 3D game, just learn to use it and you can create big things. and other thing is because i dont think (I forgot the name of the franchise of rpg maker's) can compete with the systems of 3D games like maya and all that thing's :P and other is because, (just my opinion) A lot of person dont finish their rpg games, but at least make some part of them,and learn how to use it. in 3D some people will give up without learning and come back to the old maker (I am one of them)

Sorry for so long speech and my bad English :P
who cares a about 3D graphics, story and good gameplay are what's important.
Not unless you'll make an RM3D game and might go ala-Ragnarok Online / Secret of the Solstice gameplay or something else. 2D and 3D must really go hand-in-hand :)
You know, you need to program the engine to make it integrate 3d very well.
There's also when you make your own art, you will notice that 3D rendering, depending on the size and the detail of your 3d thing is, takes forever. 2D isn't bad at all.

combining the two is pretty awesome! (was too lazy to make the carpet and statues of course)
Also, if you want to make a 3d game, consider the polygon count and your target audiences! Sometimes, MMOs especially from Asia sometimes tend on low-poly count rather than on high-end Western MMOs and even on single-player games.

The lower the polycount of your models, the lesser the game engine's demand.
yeah, I can agree with that. Metal Gear Solid looked good for its time because of good textures, not a high polygon count.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
post=83913
Kickass images!

Holy shit that looks cool.. How'd you do that? Also looks like a DS game.
post=84006
post=83913
Kickass images!
Holy shit that looks cool.. How'd you do that? Also looks like a DS game.

Or even PS1 games :P Maybe an RMXP.org 3D script something made that kickass stuff possible.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=83913

combining the two is pretty awesome! (was too lazy to make the carpet and statues of course)

That is pretty boss. It would be sweet if there was an engine that produced stuff like that second screenshot by default. Which was kind of all I was saying with this thread (not very deep, I know).