EVENT HELP!

Pages: 1
Well, this may sound as if I'm an amateur but...I am:P
I have alot of problems and any help would be greatly thanked.
My first problem is this; There's a scene at the start of the game that basically tells the story (with a nice mist/memorylike effect ;)) And I use Erase Event to stop the event from recurring multiple times, but as soon as I leave the house, it repeats. How do I get it to just stop?!

My second problem is very similiar to the first; How do I give a free item (like in a treasure chest) but not have it so that the player can keep entering and getting free items?

My third problem is also similar: I have one of the Heroes (he's a castle knight) stand guard outside a castle. Then when the player goes near him, he talks to them. After a while, he joins the party. Now my problem isn't how to do that, it's this;
How do I have it so that after the Knight joins the party, there's someone else to replace him (and that replacement says something when you talk to him)?

I know that switches have something to do with this....but how do I use them to fix these problems.
Is this for RMXP? Or is it RM2k/RM2k3?

If it's XP, then here's what you do. For the first, before the erase event command, have it activate a switch or self-switch. Then make a new event page for the same event. On the top right of the event page is a spot to place switch/variable conditionals. Set the conditional to the switch you just activated, and leave the page's code blank.

For problem 2, same.

For problem 3, same, but this time, on the second page, change the event graphic, and add text that is what he says.

I imagine that for RM2k/2k3, it would be very similar.
Yeah, it's for RpgMaker 2003.
And thanks for the help, I'll try that out (it seems like it would work)

Thanks for the help, it also works in RM2k3

Oh, and here's another question;
When I use the switches, I have to change the switch number for each switch, right?
Right. You don't want to re-use switches if you can help it, unless in the case of, say, talking to one guy activates two different effects in two different maps. For large games, you could wind up with thousands of switches. In a demo game on RMXP I'm making, I've already used 200 or so switches, and the game doesn't even cover 1/20 of the full version.
Yeah, switches will solve all your problems for these events. Just, as said, make sure you use a different one for each event.

Oh, and make sure you label your switches. It's a good habit to get into, especially once you start getting a lot of them. As Quiversee said, you can easily get over 200 switches with a large game. Just something nice and short, like "TreasForest01" or something. Though, make sure that each thing uses the correct thing: a switch or a variable. You don't want to use switches for things involving numbers (obviously).

But, yeah, if you do it right, you'll probably (in a four-hour game) end up with about 150 switches. An epic (like, twenty hours, which is pretty difficult in a RM game) might run you about 400-500 switches. You can have so many, though. As said, make sure you're using them for their job.

An easy way to think of a switch is, well, like a switch. It's on or it's off. If it's on, it allows you to use that for your uses. Or even if it's off. It's just a way to tell the game that there's possibly something there that requires it to be either there or not there. If that explains it. I'm still trying to work on my beginner tutorial technique. ><
It also depends on how advanced your game system is. My 200-switch demo will probably push 1 hour, but it takes all this due to a custom battle system. Trance2's numbers make more sense for your standard game. Also, good point on the labeling. I forgot to mention that.
author=dakrequim666 link=topic=403.msg5209#msg5209 date=1195420184
My third problem is also similar: I have one of the Heroes (he's a castle knight) stand guard outside a castle. Then when the player goes near him, he talks to them. After a while, he joins the party. Now my problem isn't how to do that, it's this;
How do I have it so that after the Knight joins the party, there's someone else to replace him (and that replacement says something when you talk to him)?

I know that switches have something to do with this....but how do I use them to fix these problems.

You are right. Switches do have something to do with it. What you will want to do is:

After you have added him to the party make a new page and make the new character.

Make a switch and add it to that page so that when the castle knight joins the party, the new character that you created appears and takes his place.

Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it!
Unfortunately, I have yet another issue. Well 2 actually....But they are greatly related again.
These are:

1) How the heck do I make sure that the player does not go to certain places before he/she is supposed to? And the same thing for events....I don't want the player ignoring almost all of the game and heading straight for the final scene.

2) This one is slightly less difficult, I already kinda have the hang of it but....When there's an event, how do I program it so that the player has to prove that they have an item and then if they do, they can move on. How do I do that?
And yes, I'm almost sure that these two are related again....Sorry if I'm annoying you guys (I'm a noob at Rpg Maker)

PS.....My game should be ready around the summer (if that early, there may be delays depending if I somehow acquire RMXP.)
But I'll try to make this game for RM2K3 first. Then after I make this game, I can learn from my many mistakes and create a better game.
well i think i can answer the first for you.....make sure that the teleport event has a switch that is required before it works. for instance, they get a quest to go somewhere, and that activates the switch for the teleport to work

for the second.....if the character gets the item via conversation or another event, then they could, once again, activate a switch once the item is recived.....i'm new at this but i believe i am correct
That would work but I want the player to not be ab;le to go to certain areas at ALL until I want to let them. Or would I have to make a teleport thing (like you mentioned) so that everytime they tried to enter the area, they would not be able to go there.
The problem with that is that how do I change it later so that they can then enter the place?

Ignore my above post, what you said is true. I jsut read it carefully (sorry about that) it would work.
Thanks for the help!!!!

Oh, and I'm so screwed...I have to name all my switches now (I'm already reaching the 50's and the game is only about 15 minutes in!)
You're not annoying. Everyone needs help sometimes. I know I still do... ;)

Anyway, to solve your troubles...
1. Use switches. For example, say that there is a large castle that can only be accessed after you defeat a certain boss. After the boss event, activate a switch, and make the entrance to the castle be conditional to that switch. For whatever you want, make these events conditional to a switch that is activated so that it makes things run chronologically.

2. Use a conditional branch. There should be an option for a specific item. You can even choose an option for when specific equipment is equipped. Conditional branches are how you handle this situation.

And please, don't be afraid to ask more qustions as you need them answered!
50 switches for 15 minutes is nothing. I have only about a half-hour or so, and I'm getting somewhere around... 280 switches. Then again, I've done all my battle system stuff, so.

For your first question, the easiest thing to do is make it so that the area isn't even visible until the player gets to a certain point. This is, ironically enough, done through switches, with the area on the world map (or wherever) appearing when a switch is turned on.

As for the second one, there's two ways to do it.

1) There's an option on the event conditions (right under the name) that says "Item." Check this box, then select the item. Now the event won't be there unless the player has the item. This only works if you want the event to not be there at all without the item in the player's possession.
2) Use a conditional branch - it's an event command. On the second tab of the "Conditional Event" options, it has "Item." Check that and do accordingly.

Stuff like this is REALLY making me want to work on my site... It's just too bad that I can't figure out the color scheme worth crap, nor can I draw in any way, shape, or form. :D
I already fixed both problems but thanks trance 2
The one where they can't see the area at all is the one I used. I'm still new to Rpg maker yet I'm already noticing how much of event creation revolves around switches (unless you have a game with no "cut scenes")

And I have yet another problem....

*How do you change the font used? I remember I saw how to a couple of times in the database tab but I can't seem to find it anymore. (the font I'm currently using is hideous.......)
btw, this may be obvious, but I'm talking about in Rpg maker 2003.

Usually to change the font you have to put the right font you have into the RTP. There most likely is an easier way though.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I have about 900 switches for ~30 minutes of gameplay... :(

There are 2 font options, MS Gothic and Mincho. Go to the System tab in the database, and go to where you change the system sets. Click set. There will be the option to choose between the 2 (Under Text font)

If it still looks bad, I recommend a font patch. I'm sure someone could link you to one.
I'm over a 1000 switches in Hero's Realm. ugh.

And trance2, just download a free premade CSS style. It's easiest.

Anywho, my real reason for posting here is to point out that we have a selection of articles and tutorials for your gamemaking needs. Links are at the top of the site!
Pages: 1