DOING IT ZELDA STYLE :D

Pages: 1
How can i make a Zelda-stle combat system in Rm2k3?
This question is unfortunately more then a simple "Reply" can answer.

Firstly, it's a CBS (Custom Battle System) in which you make up your own events that handle everything such as your health, attacks, magic, as well as the mobs attacks, health, etc... Very lengthy process.

Your first step is to have no Enemy Encounters on any of your maps. You will have no "encounters" as these would be random attacks that take you into battle mode. You don't want that.

Then you need to capture key inputs for the buttons you want for swinging your sword, using an item, talking to people, bringing up your map, etc. Make it a Common Event that runs Parallel. Then, have Condition Branches that call another Common Event for the action done. (IE pressing the swing sword button would call the attack event.). You would also want to set a switch so your key presses don't cross, or someone could attack while looking at the map.

Then, you'd have to make an event for each of those possible actions. Common Event called ShowMap would do the functions that would bring up your map, how keys are handled while the map is up, and the transaction back to the playing field. The Attack event would handle the animations, as well as if the attack lands, what damage is done and to who. (This is where you have to think outside the box to figure out how to calculate if a hit lands or what not.)

Then, you have to make the "enemies" as Events that would need AI for hero detection, hero chasing, running away, attacking hero, ranged attacks, etc...depending on the enemy. (This part also requires a lot of figuring things out.)

That should get you started. There are a lot of Tutorials (or Tuts) on how to do things CBS related (as well as how to do the things I've listed). Try searching and seeing if you can find more exact explanations. It's a bit of work, so expect to be very familiar with the workings of RM2k3. If you aren't, you might want to start fooling around with it before taking on a CBS.
I know this might be right off the track but you could get some help by downloading the "curse of silence" rpg game off the net. That game had a very similar battle system as to what your talking about.
I am not sure how close events in RM2k3 and RMXP are, but I would check my tutorial in the RMXP section. It may help get you on track.
thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to try everything suggested. :)
author=demondestiny link=topic=404.msg5230#msg5230 date=1195458135
I know this might be right off the track but you could get some help by downloading the "curse of silence" rpg game off the net. That game had a very similar battle system as to what your talking about.
this is actually the easiest for me. thanks. i can just copy whats already made and tweak it as needed :D
If you're going to use someone else's coding at least give credit. I'd advise asking the creator permission as well.
author=Melch link=topic=404.msg5228#msg5228 date=1195455965
This question is unfortunately more then a simple "Reply" can answer.....
You say that and then go on to explain almost all of it. lol ;D

As for what I think on this, downloading another game is definatly a good idea, same with tutorials on the net. But don't just copy and paste without permission, and even if you just use the game as a reference, at least give credit.
Don't worry. i'm refrencing everything i'm using :)
author=Asham link=topic=404.msg5245#msg5245 date=1195511044
author=demondestiny link=topic=404.msg5230#msg5230 date=1195458135
this is actually the easiest for me. thanks. i can just copy whats already made and tweak it as needed :D

Glad to be of help. Just remember that if you do use it you should give credit to the creator of it or just ask for permission.
Pages: 1