LINKING AN EVENT TO 2ND/3RD/4TH PARTY MEMBERS IN 2K3

Pages: 1
Is there ANY event or text code that can allow you to link an event to a character in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th slot of your party? I've searched and searched throughout 2k3 and all I can find is displaying the name only of the 1st party member. Is there anything that can do what I'm asking for? Do you need a plugin or something? Or is it simply impossible?
I use a longwinded method in my game. IIRC at the party select screen every time you add a party member, it measures how many people are in the party via fork w/variable, and in doing so determines which position the one you're adding is in. Then, it changes the 'Party Member 2/3/4' variable to their number in the database. This way, when your party spreads out for scenes, it always shows them.

To use this in textboxes, like the \n function, one way is to do fork conditions depending on who it is and make a textbox for every member (which you'll have to do if they have face portraits, but otherwise is only really used to give them each individual speech, say if a party member has a unique speech pattern or mannerisms). The other way is to have a parallel process common event changing a special reserved database entry to the name of whoever's in the slot depending on the variable (or cut out the common event altogether and do this straight from the party select screen). Then just put \n - your number - in the textbox, and we're ready to go.

Obviously this means you can ONLY add people via the party select screen, and if someone is added automatically in the story, remember to change the variable accordingly! And also I'm not sure how easy this is to follow, so if you don't understand, just wait until someone inevitably comes along and gives a better response in two sentences. = )
Yeah I might need to wait for that :)
Hey what does IIRC stand for anyway?
post=83579
(blah blah) This way, when your party spreads out for scenes, it always shows them.
(blah blah)

Another alternative is to just use a caterpillar like in Earthbound. But those are annoying to program so whatever.
Pages: 1