THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF A GAME

Pages: first 123 next last
As a question to the veterans and fellow amateurs of the RPG Maker community, what do you all consider to be the most important aspect of a game you are working on? Right now, as it stands, I've spend these last couple of weeks messing around with RPG Maker 2003 and I'm beginning to get a hang of the code. I have to admit that my current project is a bit amateurish, for most of the sprites and music that I am using are either RTP stuff from RPG Maker 2000/2003 or were downloaded from http://www.vgmusic.com/ or http://charas-project.net/, depending on the content of either site. However, on the other hand, my main focus on my project is on storytelling and objectives. Since I am a bit of a writer, I'm sort of writing a novel alongside my project and basing much of the content in my game around it. I understand the basic principles behind novelization (i.e. genre, setting, themes, etc.) and even though I'm not a perfect programmer, the functions behind the program that I am using are simple enough to understand and put together. Right now, my main priority relies on the storytelling aspect above everything else. Without an engine, how can you build the frame around it to make a car?
That depends. For example, you wouldn't want to play a Mario with bad level design, or a Phoenix Wright game with bad writing. I suppose you could say "gameplay," but that's a bit broad, as what makes the gameplay good is not the same in every game.
Fallen Griever is definitely accurate in saying that enjoying the game is (obviously) the most crucial issue, but I think that's a very broad answer. In my experience, there's never been any universal or all-encompassing element that will give your game quality as soon as you toss it in-- it all comes down to implementation. Even the "fun-factor" can ultimately be a subjective thing... it all depends on the type of game you aspire to create. What one individual finds enjoyable may bore the living daylights out of another.
This seems like an odd and general answer, but accomplishing whatever your game set out to do usually leads to great success.

I'm willing to clarify.
generally, i try to satisfy myself when i play my own game. i playtest everything myself, countless times. if i'm getting tired of something, or feel like something is amiss, i generally work to change said thing until the result is something i'm completely satisfied with.

basically, i really don't have a "most important". i'm not trying to make money or anything, so its not like i have to focus on impressing people or anything.
Yeah, I generally just make what I want to make at the moment. Buuut.... If I were to say what makes any RPG more fun it would be:

-Fun (Duh)
-Good Story
-Good Gameplay
-Original/Well defined settings/worlds
I think it all depends on what type of game it is really. Enjoyment is a must for any type of game though.
Skippable cutscenes Lack of tedious, unintuitive, and repetative stuff. I'm more likely to quit over bad menus, fetch quests, and high encounter rates than just bad gameplay. Skippable cutscenes
The most important aspect of a game???

A good developer.
Actually Neophyte is completely right about that. Unless the developer is good, the game won't live up to what was set for it.
post=83642
This seems like an odd and general answer, but accomplishing whatever your game set out to do usually leads to great success.

That is very insightful, and probably the best answer! Video games (RPGs esspecially) are interesting because they are a whole slough of different mediums. While this makes it challenging because you must adapt to all these mediums (music, graphics, story, gameplay, setting, sex, etc), it also gives your game many different options for ways in which it can shine.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
My current project is focused largely on presenting something that is more polished and accessible than most of my previous offerings. I want to release something that seems less like a "Legion game" and more like something that a general audience would be interested in.

To this end, I'm focusing on things like attractive graphics, accessible mechanics, reasonable difficulty, etc. Trying to avoid things that will make people stop playing. In general, the focus is on general quality and presentation. Additionally, it is neither dark nor futuristic, and I suspect that may help as I feel that science fiction and horror are, for whatever reason, niche markets to some degree.

My early offerings focused very very much on story; my more recent stuff on mechanics. Mage Duel was a mechanics game, as was Everything Turns Gray. Atmosphere has always been a priority for me in all of my projects. This is especially true of the current game; it aims to focus on atmosphere and exploration.
MasterMachine: What is the most important aspect of a game?

Max McGee: Well let me tell you about all my games that I made!
For me, interesting characters and strong interactions between them are all I need to enjoy a game. I don't mind a by-the-books battle system or a generic plot-line as long as the characters are funny and quirky and developed properly.
a lot of people said "fun" or "enjoyment" but what makes a game fun or enjoyable to you?

i'm a visual person, i'm gunna say graphics. if a games looks good, i'll play it, it's that simple....

after that, i'd say "growth" or a feeling of accomplishment. it sounds stupid, but i want to feel awesome when playing a game lol. i think it's like this for a lot of people, but they don't realize. it can come in different forms too. if you are playing through a game, and the story line is developing or the character is becoming stronger or more defined it can also be a sort of reward in a way. some games it's as simple as "HIGHSCOREEEE!!". lol
well fun is most important, if a game isn't fun it's not worth playing, simple as that.

as to what makes a game fun, well gameplay is important but story is also important, i want a story that makes me want to play to the end to see what happens, otherwise i'll probably get bored and stop playing eventually.

good sound and graphics also help but are of secondary importance.
post=83816
a lot of people said "fun" or "enjoyment" but what makes a game fun or enjoyable to you?

i'm a visual person, i'm gunna say graphics. if a games looks good, i'll play it, it's that simple....

Really, graphics are the #1 area of a game for you? What if a game is bland or just plain broken? If it looks pretty, you'll be fine with it? You love Sonic 2006 don't you >: )
I think the most important aspect of a game is making it bearable. Or in other words, a game that feels 'right'.

Menus that don't take 5 seconds to load up, good walk speeds, no slow text speeds (especially dumb pauses), player control within the first minute, readable text, game mechanics used to their full potential, extra small things to find, cutscenes that serve their purpose, and good overall balancing.

These are all relatively small things, but they add to the game so much to the point that someone will play past the first boss and even being entertained.
Pages: first 123 next last