CALLING ALL DEVELOPERS...

Pages: 1
Hey everyone. Has anyone here heard of the Indie Game Challenge? I'm currently working on it and it seems like there are a lot of people here that might be interested. It's a great opportunity for game developers to get discovered and break into the industry, so I hope some of you consider entering. All of the details can be found here - www.indiegamechallenge.com - but if you have any questions, just reply to this thread and I'll get them answered!
I heard of it!

www.indiegamechallenge.com

The jist is that you (or a team) submit a game into this contest in hopes of winning $100,000. Closes on October 1, 2009, open to US residents. There is a $100 entry fee.

Oh yeah:
All content of each Entered Game component must be the Entrant's original design and creation. Each Entered Game must not contain any copyrighted works (other than as owned by the Entrant). Any elements appearing in Entered Game, including, without limitation music, audio, speech/voiceovers, stills, video, supers or other audiovisual materials used must be entirely original, created and performed by the Entrant, or be in the public domain. Use of any elements, including without limitation music, audio, speech/voiceovers, video, stills, visuals, or other materials that are not original or in the public domain may result in disqualification of Entered Game at Sponsors' sole discretion, unless Entrant has prior written approval from copyright holders to use such materials.

I lament that I do not have the ambition or drive to enter. Plus, I'm not a US citizen.
I've also heard of this. My friends wanted me to join their team for this contest. I'm busy with another game so I rejected them. Also, the odds of winning this are slim.

Maybe some advanced users should form a team here and work together on something neat.
Yeah what perplexes me is the amount of competition for it. A 100 dollar entry fee means that it's no joke. Most of us here use RPG Maker, and that's pretty much a step below indie considering some of us see this as a hobby and nothing more.
I'd join it but I don't live in the US, have no money, and the competition is just scary :(
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
I'd join it, but my games use copyrighted materials and are constructed in an illegitimate maker. And on top of that, they suck!

It's good to see that you're willing to spread the word about it, though. You might not find many of the hardcore indie game makers you're looking for here, but every little bit helps, I'm sure.
I'm hardcore (not sure about the guys that I crack whips at to make them finish what they started though)! But I'm also a cheapskate.
somebody tell DE about this so he can win the 100,000 and split it with us
I'm happy getting $10 - $30 off of text sports sims 1 a year. Sure beats getting a team of 20-50 people and working 3 - 4 years on something.
Waaay outta my league. Besides, I'm not a US citizen.

Thanks for letting us know though. Pretty sweet for those who are ready for it.
I have a hard enough time building an RPGMaker game, let alone running off to compose my own MIDIs and craft each tile set I use from pixels. FG's right, I can't think of a game I've played that would qualify.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Yeah...the fact that I don't even know what would and would not be disqualified by this indicates to me I'm not ready to enter.
post=89108
Yeah...the fact that I don't even know what would and would not be disqualified by this indicates to me I'm not ready to enter.

Hey Max - that's pretty understandable! I still wouldn't count yourself out. If you have specific questions about what is / is not acceptable, email indiehelp@smu.edu. They should be able to get your questions answered..
In case anyone's still holding out, the deadline is this Saturday, 10/31. So you've still got a coupe days to finish off that masterpiece.

Good luck!
Pages: 1