THE STRAIGHT UP BEST FINAL FANTASY

YDS
member of the bull moose party
I think FF9 was Square's last and best effort in the Final Fantasy series, mainly because it blended everything that FF accomplished into a good fairy-talelike game.

FF9 was just a really charming and cute game to me. The characters were really engaging.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Sadly, they will never make a game as good as FFT again. Also don't hate on Tidus because FFX is number 2 in my book.
post=92046
Does Final Fantasy Adventure or any of the ones from Gameboy count?

Final Fantasy Adventure is techically Secret of Mana (SoM being SoM2) while the FFLegends are part of the SaGa Series (lol japan). I really don't think it counts since we accept FF3 being FF6, FF2 being FF4 etc.
post=92038
I don't really understand the love for FFT. The plot always confused me when I returned to the game from long breaks "oh who was this guy?" "who's that guy?" "um I dont remember this dude" "what the hell is going on?" would always be on my mind. The game overall was okay, there was just a lot of little annoying mechanics that frustrate me though

I'll put it in real world terms. Let's say Christianity is the dominant religion. Jesus is revered as a child of god, etc etc. The church is in charge, blah blah blah. You eventually find out, through the Germonik Scriptures, that Jesus(St. Ajora) wasn't a child of god but was actually a really, really bad person who founded his own religion to further his own ambitions(L. Ron Hubbard?.) The church knows the truth but allows the public to believe the lie to keep them under control. That's pretty much the gist of the story.
Evil church, truly the pinnacle of original RPG storytelling
Might as well respond to some earlier stuff here

post=91939
A lot of us weren't 12 and naive when FF7 came out. Many of us had been playing RPGs since the NES days, or at least SNES. By the time the PS1 and FF7 were released, we were all jaded supercool RPG playas and were unfazed by the style-over-substance gameplay.

Word.

What does this even mean, materia was the system with the greatest depth potential in the series so far (competing with V's jobs fairly closely though). Style-over-substance would be something like FF4 where you get characters that get a basic attack as their only offensive move.

I remember reading a topic on another forum with a few hundred posts of people discussing (civilly, it was a good topic) trying to find plot holes in FF7. They found none.

The story could use an improvement in exposition definitely, but plot holes? Can't really find anyway! I challenge anyone to try.

President Rufus shows quite a bit of interest in getting Cid's plane, Tiny Bronco...and why, exactly? The Shinra Army has the Highwind and a number of other airships, come on. That plot point is pretty much indefensible and something they'd have to rewrite entirely in a remake.
DE
*click to edit*
Best story - Final Fantasy: Advent Children.
Best gameplay - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.
I would like to briefly stand up for FF7. I agree with the points about the materia system. It was fun and allowed for considerable chraracter customisation without being overly clunky or complicated. Sephiroth WAS a good villain and most of the characters, especially Cloud, Vincent and Barrett, had good back-stories. As well as that it had truly memorable moments. Aeris' death, the opening sequence (one of the best I've ever seen in a videogame), the release of the weapons and the plot-twist accompanying it were all cinematic and stunning in equal proportions. In comparison I find it difficult to remember any such outstanding moments from say FF9 (Great though it is). There ARE problems with exposition and stuff (as in any JRPG of the time) but the game is good enough that you ignore those. Either way I think it's impossible for most people here (Me included) to be objective about FF7. Either it was one of the first games you ever played that had a real impact on you or else, you're part of a slightly older generation who associate the emergence of this game with a big change in RPGs themselves and the encroachment of the general public on a previously somewhat elite group of gamers.
I've said it before, but I really can't understand any love for FF9. 7's a solid game, fine. It's overrated, but that's to be expected for the game that brought RPGs to the mainstream. 9 was just bad. Story, battles, dungeons, everything. The card game was it's best quality, despite the card game in 8 being better.

To me the key in FFT's story was about the two main characters and the ways they reacted to the evil in the world, and the results of their two ways. It was about good and evil and what those concepts mean. It's not entirely original, but (even with the shit translation) it was done very well.
^Because it was fun.^
The materia system bugged me because it made having more than 3 playable party members in the game irrelevant.
junctioning was better in the sense that IT WORKED FAR TOO WELL and was therefore tons of fun.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=92095
To me the key in FFT's story was about the two main characters and the ways they reacted to the evil in the world, and the results of their two ways. It was about good and evil and what those concepts mean. It's not entirely original, but (even with the shit translation) it was done very well.

Yeah, I left that part out. Ramza's family turning on him and his abandoning his name and heritage at the end, Delita playing the role of the poor guy that becomes a heroic King but not being heroic at all behind the scenes.
post=92110
The materia system bugged me because it made having more than 3 playable party members in the game irrelevant.

Again, strictly speaking this is incorrect. What did, however, make the characters far too similar is not enough variation in limit breaks and weapons, and a missed opportunity to make armor character-specific, as well as give the characters actual stat differences.

The core system is almost genius, it just suffers from subpar execution.
well, the execution is what mattered. But yeah, the core system was a good idea.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
post=92041
FF VI hands down. 7 is wayyyyyy overrated and Kefka could kick Seperioth's ass any day.

- gamefaqs

VI is the most effectively designed ~video game~ out of the bunch.
post=92041
FF VI hands down. 7 is wayyyyyy overrated and Kefka could kick Seperioth's ass any day.

the wisest thing said in this thread.

ff6 is the most well-designed one but i actually rather liked 8's story and setting
post=91732
....X had the strongest story and gameplay.

Ditto, though FFVII is a close second.