ALGORITHMS

Pages: 1
Maybe this should be in the 'help and requests' forum, but I figured we could discuss this topic to some length here, maybe?

I've been crafting this custom battle system in RM2k3 for the past while now, and am getting into the nitty gritty part of combat.
Now, I understand math pretty decently (passed college algebra 1010 with flying colors, at least), but I have no idea how I should go about making damage algorithms, or what values should even be used for enemy/character statistics. I've tried varying ways to calculate damage, but none really seem that great or would be too tough to balance other stats around.

It's just really difficult for me to piece together and keep consistent is all. I don't know how to curve things, and as far as strength, hit points, and damage and all that goes, they seem to intertwine pretty heavily. Very complicated, and I don't understand exactly how to crunch the numbers properly.

So does anyone have some good resources for damage algorithms? Or any algorithms at all? Or spreadsheets of like character stats or anything?

Or just discuss ideas.
I think Kentona posted the Hero's Realm balance spreadsheet at the end of the Game Balance thread, could be what you're looking for. It might've been more balancing between classes than against enemies, but I'm not sure.
DE
*click to edit*
Get a full list of FF6 algorithms off Gamefaqs, it's a good place to start. They incporporate levels as basis for physical and magic damage, very cool. Then you can move on to some other games, there's loads of such documents on GFaqs.
post=92300
Get a full list of FF6 algorithms off Gamefaqs, it's a good place to start. They incporporate levels as basis for physical and magic damage, very cool. Then you can move on to some other games, there's loads of such documents on GFaqs.

Word, thank you. This helps alot actually.
Get a full list of FF6 algorithms off Gamefaqs, it's a good place to start.

is this real

this would be so helpful
I made a spread sheet that calculates damage and skill damage for VX using the default algorithms. If you're interested in that I could send it to you.

EDIT: I also made a 2k3 version as well. :) I suppose if you filled out the whole spread sheet, you could graph the results to get a visual perspective.
Pages: 1