CITY OR RURAL (SUBURBS)?

Pages: first 12 next last
I moved around a lot growing up, I can look back and say I spent most of my life in major cities, Pittsburgh, NYC, etc. However, I've spent some time living in the quiet suburbs, and that's where my family eventually settled by the time I've reached high school (and that's where I 'go home' too, subsequently). I also have a brother who's lived in the rural suburbs his whole life (until our adulthood), and I often visited him there as well.

I've had a few conversations with friends to see who prefers living where, so I thought I'd bring it here as well. As for me, it's close, but I think I prefer living in the city. Don't get me wrong, living on the rural outskirts can have a lot to offer; fresh air, outside activities, quietness, and the perk of being able to own a lot of property. However, recently the city just has too much to offer! There's so much to do, career opportunities, and cultural diversity, which is a fresh break the too quiet, relatively boring, white conformity of the rural suburbs. But that's just me.

What's your call?
Forget rural suburbs, middle of no where is my preference. Cheap land, those annoying neighbors are on the other side of a forty acre pasture, fishing, some amount of wild game off the back porch, etc.
i.e. Southern Oklahoma

Besides, we have plenty of cultural diversity. 34% White, 22% Black, 1% Asian, and >65% illegal immigrants (boy am I glad they tightened the restrictions so we don't get anymore Canadians sneaking down here)!
I would probably like a little more or a little less populated than where I'm currently living. I can't decide. I live in rural Illinois. Not the biggest town, not the smallest. About 20000 people I think? Maybe more. I think my preferred option would be a place on the outskirts of a bigger town. Like say Madison, Wisconsin, for example (although that'd be pushing it on the population scale). The peace and solitude of rural life (which I love) would be right outside, and the busyness of the city (which is nice on occasion) a car drive away.
I've always lived in suburbs, so I tend to prefer them. Although I would love to live in some secluded hillside cottage somewhere in Ireland... >_> I feel like big cities are too cramped for me; I always feel very claustrophobic in places like NYC.
post=93029
Besides, we have plenty of cultural diversity. 34% White, 22% Black, 1% Asian, and >65% illegal immigrants

That sounds diverse but it really isn't. Trust me I know.
I thought he was being sarcastic???
I hope so, hahaha. I guess I missed the message.
It didn't really sound diverse to me. *scratches head* sarcasm+internet*reader_mood=read_error please check disk

In all seriousness, I'm just fine with what the diversity is here in comparison with large cities.
I suppose there's nothing WRONG with it, but it gets boring seeing a WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-BLACK-BLACK-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-BLACK-ASIAN-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE-WHITE pattern day in, day out.
I'm with ya, feld. Cities are the way to go. I like the noises, the people everywhere, plazas at every corner.
The country's not that bad, but something about the city... I just love it.
I dunno I love having that one Asian friend. Makes him feel special and makes me feel like I'm not racist.
I heartily lol'd Orig. Thanks :)
You mean WHITE-WHITE-BLACK-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-WHITE-KOREANDONUTSHOPOWNERS-WHITE-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-español-WHITE-WHITE-español

There's a lot of people from Mexico in the south these days.
post=93050
You mean WHITE-WHITE-BLACK-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-ESPANIOL-WHITE-KOREANDONUTSHOPOWNERS-WHITE

Of course, it depends on where you live!

post=93047
I'm with ya, feld. Cities are the way to go. I like the noises, the people everywhere, plazas at every corner.
The country's not that bad, but something about the city... I just love it.

Yeah, you can't get pizza from a back alley while drunk on a main street during a bar crawl in the suburbs. Well, you might, but every experience like that I've had has been in the city. Now when it comes to parties, rural/suburb people can throw good stuff, especially since their houses are usually bigger, but the craziest stuff happens in the city.

Glad to, D-Bones.

Okay I think the only thing I dislike about rural life are the kids who think and act like they are gangster. Photographic evidence:

I would say there are at least 12 kids exactly like that in my grade alone. We live in RURAL ILLINOIS dumbasses. Ride a goddamn TRACTOR. Fight behind the field house if you have to.

Which reminds me of a funny story. One day, my friend was driving home this one kid from I think baseball practice because, well, he didn't have a ride. The kid yaps on about how he's a heavy drug dealer and how he's been clean for like 2 weeks now, acting rather stuck-up and proud. My friend basically says, "Wait, why're you telling me this stuff? I could tell someone." To which the kid wittily retorts, "Then I'd mark you as my ACCOMPLICE." "But you don't have any evidence against me." "Well I'll FIND some fucking evidence." Quiet ensues till they reach their destination.

Yeah. #1 Pet Peeve I guess.
post=93051
Yeah, you can't get pizza from a back alley while drunk on a main street during a bar crawl in the suburbs. Well, you might, but every experience like that I've had has been in the city. Now when it comes to parties, rural/suburb people can throw good stuff, especially since their houses are usually bigger, but the craziest stuff happens in the city.

Man, i haven't been to a rural party. I definitely gotta try that out!
post=93052
Which reminds me of a funny story. One day, my friend was driving home this one kid from I think baseball practice because, well, he didn't have a ride. The kid yaps on about how he's a heavy drug dealer and how he's been clean for like 2 weeks now, acting rather stuck-up and proud. My friend basically says, "Wait, why're you telling me this stuff? I could tell someone." To which the kid wittily retorts, "Then I'd mark you as my ACCOMPLICE." "But you don't have any evidence against me." "Well I'll FIND some fucking evidence." Quiet ensues till they reach their destination.

Yeah. #1 Pet Peeve I guess.

Twice in under an hour!
dude what the fuck? how did you get that pic of me?

I gotta prefer the city, even though its really dirty, loud, smelly, and busy. It has everything a suburb doesn't have and suburbs are too quiet IMO.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
After moving to America my family moved every year until I reached high school. Except unlike you we always lived in the suburbs so I'm used to living here. Yeah I don't like the city, too many creepy people.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Kind of a city-person but will probably prefer suburbia once I start working. Oh man
I've lived my life in suburbs or in towns close to cities (which are almost the same). I always have the intention of moving to the city, but it's a lot more expensive than living a 30 minute train ride into the city.

Vancouver is quite diverse. It was good times. Japan's not so diverse.
Pages: first 12 next last