COLLAB PROJECT PROPOSAL: "RPG PARTY" PLEASE SIGN UP!

Pages: 1
Looking for some more-experienced devolopers to help code a VX game with me.
The game's title is "RPG Party". Think Mario Party, just with RPG characters, and battles and puzzles instead of minigames.

If anyone would be willing to lend their expertise to this project, I'd be much obliged.

Please post here and/or send a message to my mailbox if you'd like to participate.
The more people who can work on it, the better it will be!

I have made simple two player demo with one enemy to fight, but the player switching and map moving mechanics (mostly) work.

Game can be played here: http://www.usaupload.net/d/13sy8yl2h72

Working game demo up!
Odd. I've thought about doing the same thing before.
post=94621
Odd. I've thought about doing the same thing before.
Never been a better time to start! ;)
I have a basic character switch; with a little modifying it can accomodate four players! :)

Go ahead and download the demo up there if you want.
Theres a special event or battle in each corner.
Oh and you get 10G for passing start. (lol, monopoly)
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
You took a picture of an unmodified shop screen with the default, grammar error-ridden items?
Hey, its a WIP.
At least you know what they do.
If I had named them something else, you might not. (have known what they do.)
Which is important, because the best way to train your character in this game is those items, as your base stats are terrible. I PURPOSELY did that so you would spend your gold on them to get stronger.
Also, I don't know how to make custom menus.
Ive had VX for like, 10 days. >.>
Hm... You do have a game with good reviews, so your reputation is sound. However, I think you should work out the kinks in RPG Maker VX for longer (about 10 days of development) and then show a more attractive project. I do like the underlying idea because my game is similar with the board layouts.

I would still want to take a look at the project and see if I could help you, but unfortunately I don't have or will use VX for this sort of thing. Even so, I can help you in other ways if you would like ^^
Thanks, bud.
Any help is appreciated.
I plan to make a homeworld next.

Man, that map took AGES to make. >.>
Add in all those spaces TWO MORE TIMES and you got a four player version. >.>
It took me around 30 minutes to wire my board with events. Are you making direction events push the player in the direction of the arrows? Is the chipset completely impassable except for the events you specify below player? You can have each "mover" turn solid when the number of moves is zero. The player is the currently active player. You use another variable that specifies which player to take from, and then use that variable to unify each event. By this I mean each event calculates the target values to modify based on the currently active player, so depending on where the extra player data in variables goes and how much extra space for more variables you make, you could easily make a 128 player game.

Showing the positions of each player is a different story, but for 4 players you need 3 events that just relocate themselves to one space above the square they are on. And change their graphics to match the players. Each one would not be unified and be watching a specific player's variable stack. This would take a moment to set up with at least the positions. They could also respond to key presses so you could easily add the ability for the active player to interact with other players on the same space they are. (You leave extra variable space for each player so you can add more features without worrying about changing the stack size for each player).

There's just one problem with all this. I've seen RPG Maker VX missing lots of common things like reference by variable. There might be a missing feature that is critical to all this, but I do know you can't add items by reference of variable.
Errmm...Your speakin' in tounges, buddy.
I think I get what you're sayin' though.

In my game, I have each players "Turn" shifted by an event. That event "stores" that players spot on the map. When the players turn starts, they can,
A ( Move 1 square forwards or backwards.
B ( activate the square they are on.
This is important, because moving backwards/forwards can help you get to the branches in the map that will contain "medals" (think "stars" from mario party)
Yeah. It would take a whole tutorial for me to explain it all but I'll at least tell you about stacks.

Here's a variable list:

0032: Player 1 X
0033: Player 1 Y
0034: Player 1 Medals
0047: Player 2 X
0048: Player 2 Y
0049: Player 2 Medals

Here the stack size is 15. You start at 32 and add 15 to get to the second player and so forth. There's a ton of currently unused variables which you might want to use later. Make a variable defining the stack size

0014: Stack Size (= 15)

If you might increase it later. But that means a ton of resizing and relocating the variable names. But let's say you have a variable

0010: Player Turn (0...3)

Then the correct variable to start reading from would be

32+StackSize*PlayerTurn
That last little bit of code doesn't make sense...
maybe it's because I'm used to coding with VX.
That last bit of code isn't an event. It's a series of variable events.

EDIT: Oops. It's not an EVENT COMMAND. It's a series of EVENT COMMANDS. Sorry.
...and what does that mean...?
I'm sorry... I don't know all the lingo and stuff...
If there isn't an "event command" button on my event coding interface, I won't know what you are talking about... :(

Or do you mean an if / else statement?
It's not event commands. It's a list of variables.
I just figured taht out thinking back on it.
I just set up the variables to add, then multiply, and WHAM, its done.
Can I also store each party members gold/items separately with this setup?
Nevermind. Answer is: yes.
Pages: 1