GOT A NEW COMPUTER AND CANNOT USE RM2K3!

Pages: 1
I upgraded my OS to vista premium from XP. I tried finding a install site for rm2k3 online, but none worked. I transfered it from my old computer, and now it doesn't allow me to edit any maps or create new ones! And I've tried several times, but is there a way to make rm2k work on vista?
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=94804
upgraded

There's your problem right there- Vista is certainly not an upgrade.
Well I've got Vista (I'm pretty sure, anyway) and RM2K3 works fine. Not RM2K, as sad as that may be...=(

But I don`t know how to FIX the problem. I could just use it...=|
uhh just right click the shortcut (or exe, i forget) and click on the compatibility tab and check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for : Windows XP" and hurray! You fixed the problem!
It also works in Windows 7 beta, although the help file doesn't.
I cannot wait for Windows 7. Fingers crossed that it isn't an astounding disappointment.
don't have the program directory installed in "program files". you're better off installing in "C:\User\documents\rpgmaker\" or something similar. Having it installed in the program files directory means windows is going to ask for permission every time before modifying anything; and with some programs, it won't allow it at all.

That is, if running it in compatibility mode doesn't work.
I had no problem running rm2k/3 or any other maker on vista.
post=95028
I cannot wait for Windows 7. Fingers crossed that it isn't an astounding disappointment.

Windows 7 has a Windows XP emulator built in.
I read it's an XP file system emulator to satisfy the file permissions by making the writes go to the local folder of the user. It isn't an emulator in the sense of copying all the functionality of XP, it just fixes those permission errors by compensating in a seemingly safe way. Or so I have heard a while ago- it might be completely different when the actual Windows 7 comes out as I tested it last winter.
post=95061
I read it's an XP file system emulator to satisfy the file permissions by making the writes go to the local folder of the user. It isn't an emulator in the sense of copying all the functionality of XP, it just fixes those permission errors by compensating in a seemingly safe way. Or so I have heard a while ago- it might be completely different when the actual Windows 7 comes out as I tested it last winter.

Ah, I don't know, my tech-savvy friend is running Windows 7 and he mentioned an XP emulator or something, so I don't know the details for myself.
When I try to save, it says it cannot be created. and is write protected.
If it's anything like windows 7 which I'm using you need to make sure you're running the program as an administrator by right clicking the rm2k3 Exe and selecting that option.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
1) Work as an admin like deadramone said

2) Use RMVX

3) I never have problems with 2k/2k3/XP/VX on my 64-bit Vista Not-home (I forget)
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Vista is an upgrade. Not a huge one, but one nevertheless.

But Windows 7 is even better and everyone should get it when it comes out.
Pages: 1