IDEA FOR A NEW COMMUNITY PROJECT

Pages: first 123 next last
Once when me and my siblings got RPG Maker 2k, we made plenty of mediocre games, but a couple of them still leave fond impressions. One in particular was a kind of card game my brother made called Battle Card Legends. It really wasn't anything special but it was a nice idea and me and my sister all chipped in on making cards from our own RPG characters. Now looking back on this, I had the though of doing the same thing with the community.

A Community Card Game RPG that uses our very own characters as the cards.

Anyone who would want to submit an idea for cards would be welcome. The idea of the game would be kind of similar to Yugioh or Pokemon (although it doesn't have to be.) I just think this would be a cool idea for a community RPG. Anyone who has any thoughts, complaints, or ideas on the subject is welcome to reply to this topic.
Xanedil
Lvl 100

Attack Power: 100
Defense Power: 800
Magic Power: 1000
Spells:
Kaboom 1
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
This sounds like it could be a lot of fun but I think the rules would have to be much more clearly defined first.
Agreed. How is the game played? What kind of stats are used?
This sounds interesting... In fact, I've always pondered about making a card game myself.

You can count me in, for the long term. I don't have any complaints or anything, because first we need to get the base of the game down. How will it play?

Also, I recommend doing this in RPG maker XP. You can have higher res graphics, scripted systems for playing the card game, and such.

Also, we need to define some roles later on, like who's gonna do the scripting or such? Who's gonna help with the rules? I personally would like to design the cards themselves, basically do the graphics. (I don't mean do the pics on the cards, as those would be left for the characters people put on them. I'm talking about the card they're on.)
Solitayre
Lvl 810
Class: Retired Reviewer One That Hast Not Reviewed In A Long Time

Attack Power: 900
Defense Power: 1500
Magic Power: 900
Spells:
Solitaire 1- (disables one of your opponent's cards with a very long card game for approximately thirty turns)

Also, I recommend doing this in Java. Then you can play against opponents sitting in a different country, and have the card stats entered into a database on the server.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I'm not retired! D:
I'm not currently sure about the rules at this point. The original game was made for RPG Maker2k and simply consisted of assortments of cards that acted as scroll items to use different effects. We never really got too far in the game, for we were all very inexperienced. I'm not sure about this, I only stated this as an idea. As for the cards themselves, I was more leaning on the idea of using the RPG characters, not the RPG makers (like you;d have a Markus card, not a Fallen-Griever card, etc.)
RPG Maker XP probably would be best to use. I probably will need to learn a lot more about scripting though (I'm so used to RPG2k/3k, XP's kinda uncharted territory for me.) As for the rules, we need to figure out:

1. The rules of the actual game.
2. The rules about how the power of cards would be distributed.
3. How to actually script it.
4. Our acceptance policy for new card ideas.

There are probably a lot more things needed, such as if we want to have some kind of story to go with it or just make it a mindless card brawl. I'm still open for suggestions. If we can get enough people to back us up, such as to create the actual card layout, maps, etc.
Why don't you find something like CardGame Maker XP instead of RPG Maker XP at the least?
So like the heroes from our RM games? Interesting idea. I know nothing of scripting or XP, so I'll jump back in when that's ironed out.
post=96768
Well if you don't want to use Java you could use Flash or something I suppose.

Why don't you find CardGame Maker XP instead of RPG Maker XP though?
Well, I've never heard of Card Game Maker XP. I'll look into it though.
Okay, lets say we split it into a certain number of elements for the cards. We could adapt something similar to Yu-Gi-Oh, and make it so you can't place a higher leveled monster on the field until a certain number of lower leveled ones are there. But lets not sacrifice them like Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm sure someone will come up with something better, but thats my two cents for an idea.

As I said we should get a competent scripter for that job.

I gues for acceptance, just look at the rest of the 'deck' we've built, and see if it fits in. Also obv don't make it excessively stupid, or NSFW.
post=96770

Before you look too hard, I think GOG didn't mean it actually exists.
Yeah by that I meant find an engine more suited to card games than RPGs.
I do get what GOG is saying, and it would definitely be much more fun if we could play online with each other once its done.

IE lets not make this like Monopolo. No offense to S4D of course.
post=96772
post=96770
Before you look too hard, I think GOG didn't mean it actually exists.
-___- No comment.

But yah, that could work as well.
Actually, I think it would be fun to let the RPG Makers have cards as well. Maybe set a structure up for submissions, where the person submitting gets:

A card of themselves (attributes based on the way that person acts on the forums)
A card of a hero from their game.
A card of the villain.
A land card (If we end up implementing this)
And an effect card based on an event in the game.
post=96780
Actually, I think it would be fun to let the RPG Makers have cards as well. Maybe set a structure up for submissions, where the person submitting gets:

A card of themselves (attributes based on the way that person acts on the forums)
A card of a hero from their game.
A card of the villain.
A land card (If we end up implementing this)
And an effect card based on an event in the game.

I like that idea. It could kind of be like one of those tabletop war games where the RPG Maker is like the general and the characters are like the infantry.

But then again, maybe not.
Sounds really interesting! I would like to make some cards for my rpgmaker characters..
Well, here's a vague image of how I'd imagine the card looking. It's similar to how it looked when done on RPGMaker2k.

Pages: first 123 next last