SHOW ME YOUR SCREENSHOTS - FALL EDITION

arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
post=101808
Having every menu box the same style is the formula that most RPGs follow, and not doing it just to be able to use cool menus looks irresponsible and messy.

Thats just an excuse to be lazy. But if you want to stick with the basics thats fine. I don't think you would need to do that with the new menu though cause it looks great.
post=101812
post=101808
Having every menu box the same style is the formula that most RPGs follow, and not doing it just to be able to use cool menus looks irresponsible and messy.
Thats just an excuse to be lazy. But if you want to stick with the basics thats fine. I don't think you would need to do that with the new menu though cause it looks great.

How is it an excuse to be lazy? How do inconsistently styled menus look good at all?
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=101810

This. This looks excellent.
ANOTHER LONG NIGHT AT CODE SLAVERY
arcan
post=101814
post=101812
post=101808
How is it an excuse to be lazy? How do inconsistently styled menus look good at all?

I think you know thats not what I meant.
No I am not sure what you meant! Can you rephrase? I'm not disagreeing with you just for the sake of disagreeing with you.
I liked how the first one still shows the map behind the menu, it was easier on the eyes. I hope you do that with the new version.

Add a shadow to the text and possibly fix the gradient inconsistency and it will be good. =)
arcan
I'm not sure I can rephrase it much better. Here is some pictures to show what I mean:

ff7 menu uses only one menu style
http://www.ffnemesis.com/ff7/images/ff7menu1.jpg

ffx2 has three styles on menu boxes
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/finalfantasyx2_091603_menu_01_640w.jpg

With the way you had it before it looked like you had a bunch of different things going on so I thought it would be fitting to have a little more diversity like the ffx2 menu. But it looks like you simplified it a bit so this really ain't important anymore.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm

I just love filler screens, don't you guys?
This is to give the illusion that I'm not actually too busy IRL to work on this much.

EDIT:
I love you guys, have another:

Yes, there are a lot of pointless barrels. Think of them as filler/room-padding where there will soon be shelves/etc. And the shitty shelves in the top right are also a possible placeholder for some kitcheny stuff I have to sprite/convince someone to sprite.
Oh man, this will look so much better with an overlay.
I'm always expectant of your screenshots Tardis :).
I have no gripes other than that the cave floor in the first screenshot is quite bland. Perhaps try adding some rocks and other cave-related filler objects (obviously nothing huge that will obstruct the player and the flow of the level, as it is quiet small and cramped. Perhaps just some minor pebbles? You could even add water leakages from pipes :D!)?
Also, now that I think about it, the lighting for the first screenshot also looks a little un-natural. I'm not sure the light would stream out like that. (unless it was a directional light). Other than that, everything is fine :P.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
This would be just after a menu consistency argument...

I made a chart that tells you what beasts have been trained in what areas so the player can keep track of them.

It's meant to be the same style as RM2000's default System graphics. I don't know squat diddly about aesthetics, though, so if anyone has any advice, don't hesitate to offer it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Those 'x' symbols make my eyes bleed.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger

Any better now?
@tardis: The mapping is great, but yes, I have to agree, the lighting is odd.
arcan
In my experience it works better to have the background color to be light and the outline to be dark. This time I figure I will start with an example and save myself some time. Also, the Xs only look bad because you are putting them against a dark background.

Minor edit using the same colors
arcan it is now unreadable why did you do this
arcan
You can't read that? Then play it in full screen nigguh!
Darken the text to make it readable against the light background. Done.

Edit: also Feld, that's much, much better. My only other pointer would be to add some text to the tops of the two right windows to indicate what exactly they are.

Otherwise, nice work.
skie is the more perceptive. why you are using mint green in the first place is beyond me but w/e your design choices are your own
I love how the defense for bad design choices around here is 'play in full screen'.