MORE STRESS SHOULD BE PUT ON CUSTOM GRAPHICS

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
How about you go read the posts I've made? My position is quite clear in that I believe graphics are important and will make a good game better. I did, after all, post that.

What you quote from me is not even close to contradictory, but due to your lack of reading I can see how you could think that.

It's obvious you are clueless to why I called your post contradictory. Again with the lack of reading. You post as if there is a middle ground then follow it up with:

If you picked your friends the way you picked your games, you'd be hanging out with Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers.

Oops! No middle ground there!

Because I am a fair person, I will give you one post to argue with me and then we are done with this tangent.
post=98287
How about you go read the posts I've made? My position is quite clear in that I believe graphics are important and will make a good game better. I did, after all, post that.

And my position is quite clear in that I believe graphics can be a very touching part of a game, or they can be ugly as hell, but they neither make nor break the game by themselves. I did, after all, post that.

post=98287
What you quote from me is not even close to contradictory, but due to your lack of reading I can see how you could think that.

Neither is what I said :p

post=98274
If you picked your friends the way you picked your games, you'd be hanging out with Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers.

post=98287
Oops! No middle ground there!

This is where the context of the thread becomes important. I was speaking to someone who said games were NOTHING without flashy graphics. Remember that.

post=98287
Because I am a fair person, I will give you one post to argue with me and then we are done with this tangent.

That is very fair of you, thank you. In deference to that, I'll try to end this on a better note than we've been going on. I do respect both you and Darken as gamemakers, and WIP, I suspect our views on this are closer than either of us think, but we both just got overly excited. Hopefully we'll be able to have more civil discourse in the future = )

i'm hanging out there (in her underwear)
post=98292
i'm hanging out there (in her underwear)

Just as long as she's not singing.
post=98290
I was speaking to someone who said games were NOTHING without flashy graphics.

flashy graphics? I don't remember saying that.
Darken, maybe I misunderstood you. When I saw:

post=98245
I'm tired of this overused bullshit term. It's 'game mechanics' not gameplay. And when you call it game mechanics, it doesn't sound so flashy does it? That said, many people are so high and mighty with their game mechanics that they fail to realize that games are nothing without their graphics (I dont mean if a game is 8bit I mean if a game actually had no graphics whatsoever) they are nothing without their music, they are nothing without their sound effects, they are nothing without their save the princess story.

I took it to mean that you thought games were nothing without those things. In the argument that followed, 'graphics / music / sound' did perhaps get simplified down to 'graphics', and if you feel that's inaccurate or unfair I can understand why. However, while all those things are good, I still feel it's valuing style over substance.
post=98274
Really, guys. Graphics can be a very touching part of a game, or they can be ugly as hell, but they neither make nor break the game by themselves.

Untrue, they can make the game. Some of my releases are proof of this.

post=98285
Well, A) as long as we're talking about self-contradiction . . .

post=98277
There is also a good reason they are called videogames.

post=98275
Why can't you people realize there is a fucking middle ground here?

Dude, there is no self-contradiction here...

post=98274
And this is why there have never been any text-based games in the history of mankind. Games were only invented when personal computers became available. These 'Dungeons & Dragons' and 'Chess' games are clearly all historical hoaxes.

We're referring to video gams bub. i'm sorry, you just don't have the power of chapsets invested in you.

post=98252
Does chess get any more fun if you are using intricately carved marble game pieces on a gold and silver board?

Agreed. A while ago on Kongregate, there was a front-paged flash game that was a shooter where you could buy upgrades for the graphics. This made no changes to the gameplay, but the graphical changes made it more fun and stimulated. And I play chess occasionally, and I do think playing chess with kickass pieces is more fun.
post=98296
I still feel it's valuing style over substance.

It's about style being part of the substance.

same game btw.
Well, I' m not going to get het up about this, but I also hate the term gameplay. It sounds like some kind of strange Orwellian term.

See:

Filmwatch.
Bookread.
Songlisten.
Gameplay.

If I was picky on semantics (Which I'm not, really), then I'd say that game mechanics is a much better term to use than GAMEPLAY.
Lawl.

It also sort of suggests that graphics and audio are their own separate, distant entities that couldn't possibly have any bearing of how enjoyable the game is to play.
Then why the insistence on the ascendency of graphics and sounds over gameplay and story? I mean, I can understand using the art style as a key point of immersion, but it's come across like you feel that's the only thing that matters.

EDIT: Actually, you did list story as something important, didn't you? My bad.
post=98304
Then why the insistence on the ascendency of graphics and sounds over gameplay and story?

What.
post=98301
Filmwatch.
Bookread.
Songlisten.
Gameplay.

If I was picky on semantics (Which I'm not, really), then I'd say that game mechanics is a much better term to use than GAMEPLAY.

Haha. Welcome to the English language, dude. Would you like to park on my driveway? = )
post=98305
post=98304
Then why the insistence on the ascendency of graphics and sounds over gameplay and story?
What.

Well, you said that games were nothing without good graphics / music / sound effects. That, to me, implies that you feel they are more important than gameplay. Do you feel that was an unreasonable assumption on my part?
post=98307
Well, you said that games were nothing without good graphics / music / sound effects. That, to me, implies that you feel they are more important than gameplay. Do you feel that was an unreasonable assumption on my part?

Considering most of your posts were just poor attempts to be witty, yeah.
A lot of people just lack the artist talent to make custom graphics. Some people have the talent, but are too lazy to invest such work into a RPG Maker game. And others just don't have access to the resources such as good spriters. 2D art is not something you can up and do.

I plan to put my own custom sprites, but they'll mainly be for the main characters. I've yet to reach the skill level to do map chipsets or other graphics related to the engine. Eventually, I'll throw that mindset away and actually put some effort into that, but until, RECYCLED SPRITES FTW.
post=98309
Considering most of your posts were just poor attempts to be witty, yeah.

Oh, lord. I've been angry once today, I'm not gonna do it again :p Are you going to clarify your position?
I thought that was obvious dude. I never said graphics/sound were better than game mechanics, I'm stating that they're equal footing. A good game in my mind is a well executed experience where all aspects work together to give fun to the player.
post=98312
I thought that was obvious dude. I never said graphics/sound were better than game mechanics, I'm stating that they're equal footing. A good game in my mind is a well executed experience where all aspects work together to give fun to the player.

Thank you = )