THE IMPORTANCE OF MUSIC IN A GAME

post=102129
The fact that you refer to the music composer of FF12 as 'that composer with the name that escapes me' means much in itself. He's also always had a thing for that Latin stuff.

This confuses me. Are you liking the FF12 composer or hating him in comparison to Nobuo Uematsu?
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Personally I like music that is attention getting and interesting in itself, rather than just there to be boring atmospheric background music. I like to listen to game music outside of the game as well, and if the soundtrack only works as something to listen to when you're out exploring the world, I'd rather listen to something else on my ipod when I'm not playing. Of course it should fit the scene, but a really good song can make a regular scene into one that's interesting, emotional, more impacting. I've found some games and movies have been much better and a lot more memorable because of their music selection. Secret of Mana has a wonderful soundtrack, that is fun to listen to outside of the game as well. So basically, I think it's not just "it has nice songs", but more "It has memorable songs", which will really help make you remember the game and the scenes for it.

I try to compose my own songs. I haven't been doing it as much recently, Paradise Blue is mostly my older work. Usually I make music when I'm close to completion with a game when I'm making a dedicated soundtrack for it (Island Sky, a much earlier game, has a soundtrack that is newer than the majority of Paradise Blues soundtrack). I am not a professional musician by any means, though, so it's kind of annoying when I have a certain song in my head but I'm not skilled enough to make it. Or I forget what the melody of it was, which happens incredibly often.

EDIT-
Is it just me or did the font shrink? It seems rather small now, but maybe it's been like that.
For the record, FF12's principal composer was Hitoshi Sakimoto, with a little help from Masaharu Iwata, Hayato Matsuo, Nobuo Uematsu, and Angela Aki.

Sakimoto and Iwata have collaborated on several prominent game soundtracks, including the FF Tactics series and the Ogre Battle Saga. Their style is better suited for traditional fantasy settings, while Uematsu favors a more multi-genre approach.

I try to have music that fits with the general theme of the game. For example, childhood is a huge element in my game, so I tend to have more melodic, lighthearted stuff with lots of flutes.

One thing I can't stand is the use of "LET'S KICK SOME ASS" metal music in medieval-themed games. I know some people think that putting in a guitar solo in boss fight music is cool and heart-thumping, but it really breaks the illusion.

Also, I'm curious to see what this forum thinks about vocal music in their games. I know most people think it lame and distracting, but I think if the absolute right vocal song for a specific cutscene is picked, it could really lend towards the emotional vibes. Also, it helps if the vocal song isn't in english.

post=102261
One thing I can't stand is the use of "LET'S KICK SOME ASS" metal music in medieval-themed games. I know some people think that putting in a guitar solo in boss fight music is cool and heart-thumping, but it really breaks the illusion.

I hold the exact opposite of this statement. I always love it when the guitar riffs and the power chords kick in. My favorite boss fight music from games I've played are all like this.

Let's me know things are going to get hard and it's time to RAWK. If you want to keep with the theme, it works better if it's that more melodic and/or symphonic kind of metal I particularly like and set to more fantasy-like tones (No, actually DragonForce does not count despite being somewhat melodic).

post=102158
post=102129
The fact that you refer to the music composer of FF12 as 'that composer with the name that escapes me' means much in itself. He's also always had a thing for that Latin stuff.
This confuses me. Are you liking the FF12 composer or hating him in comparison to Nobuo Uematsu?

You've made the assumption I have a preference. I neither hate or like the other composer in comparison. They both sound too different for me to even make a comparison.
You guys suck. "That composer with the name that escapes me" is Hitoshi Sakimoto, and he is awesome. Long story short: FFT wouldn't be half the game it is without him, so yeah, music is very important for creating atmosphere and really drawing you into a game.

I, too, try to compose music, but I haven't really done any lately, either. I'm sure there's a thread lying around somewhere in the artistic section that lists some of my "work," if you feel like calling them that.
post=102261

romancing saga

final battle with saruin

topic over

If done right, it isn't bad. You see this kind of approach a lot in the Tales of Series.
post=102552
If done right, it isn't bad. You see this kind of approach a lot in the Tales of Series.

Exactly; the hard rock battle music has actually become something of a signature of Motoi Sakuraba. Also interesting is that you will hear HUGE, sweeping orchestral tunes in these same games. Sure, not all of his games are medieval-themed, but some are. The rockin' battle music is almost a standard of jRPG's, and dates back quite a ways (Uematsu is as guilty as anyone else).

Not to say your opinion is wrong, blueperiod, but it's something a lot of us are used to and prepared for.

Ironically, Hitoshi Sakimoto was more into electronica in his early days before being picked up for games like Ogre Battle, but he turned out to be a pretty brilliant orchestral composer.
post=102261

am i allowed to post this in enormous letters to signify my complete and utter agreement?
NO GEODUDE BECAUSE THAT STATEMENT IS WRONG
I still remember how "Pokey's Mad!" or whatever it was called sounded like. It starts off like a GameBoy chiptune and then goes into some hard rock \w/
The Tales series can kind of get away with it, since they seem to take place in medieval/futuristic mish-mash anime worlds. I'm talking more about what you see in the following:

{Possibly NSFW):

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-dragon-age/50134

IMO, if you're going for a full on medieval world, modern rock music should never be used. If you're trying to have some "Hell Yeah!" music for a boss fight or something, orchestral stuff is generally more than sufficient.

Then again, I can appreciate a good metal boss fight song now and then. I usually just find it kind of corny.
I think music does matter. There's that old saying, "music makes the mood." and I believe it does. If you're watching a death scene, sad music makes it all the more impacting. Now if you play that same scene with the Loony Tunes theme, you almost cannot help but chuckle at it. I love music in games, especially if it's well composed and fits the scene nicely. It gives that extra omph to every cutscene and battle you see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7DNHxzUxEI < I hate rock battle music. Koichi Sugiyama is the best RPG composer.

Koji Kondo is the best game composer, but Koichi is the best RPG composer.
I spend so much on my games music selection it is not funny. And I think that it will make the game memorable when I am all done. I believe that the right music is just the thing that will set serious games apart for those that are rushed and not taken seriously.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
post=102073
If i had a game that had an EPIC storyline but shoddy music, I would still play it. But if i had a game with EPIC music and a shoddy storyline i'd drop it like its hot.
Chrono Cross would be a good example of this.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=102261
anti-rock
post=102261
pro-rock

This game does not use rock.

This game does.

Imagine how much less enjoyable both games would be if they swapped soundtracks.
post=104673
Imagine how much less enjoyable both games would be if they swapped soundtracks.

there couldn't possibly be any less enjoyment to be had
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=104713
post=104673
there couldn't possibly be any less enjoyment to be had

Careful there.