HALLOWEEN SHORT GAME CONTEST

Pages: first 123456 next last

Update Edit: Alright, today's 28th, last chance for all the games to come in. Voting also starts! I decided to extend the voting to the end of 30th to give people more chances to play all the games. As a reminder PM me your vote (send message button under my name/avatar) for what you think is the best entry for this contest. Voting ends on the end of the 30th while results will be posted on Halloween night

What Are We Doing?

It's October! Leaves are falling, people are thinking about what costumes to wear, pumpkins are being gutted out, and RMN people are making games! By demand we bring you a short game contest! Basically a contest to determine who can make the best Halloween themed game this month The contest's deadline is October 27th, with voting on 28th and 29th, 31st being the voting results.

The Details

The idea is simple, make a small game between now and October 27th. The word 'game' being loose. It can be an interactive haunted house or some pointless comedy walk around game. The word "small" is the key, it would not be wise to make some epic RPG but rather a simple adventure game or even a puzzle game. Any genre is welcome so long as it fits with a spooky/horror theme and that it is made in the set time line. The game must be posted in this topic (before or on 27th). The contest will be user voted, meaning people will submit their votes on October 28-29 to me in order to determine the best entry. The winner will receive an RMN achievement and 50 USD.

Guidelines and Rules
-Between now and October 27th is the deadline (people who have started their game in prep for this contest are in the green zone i.e Orig)
-October 28th and 29th is voting, PM Darken your vote
-Results on October 31st
-Halloween/Horror/Gothic/Spooky theme is the focus
-The game must be intended for this contest
-You can go solo or collaborate with someone. (3man teams or bigger is not allowed)
-Any program allowed
PM Darken your vote

Prizes
$50 USD
Halloween Game Contest Winner Achievement on RMN

Participation
-catmitts Twenties Flappers vs The Mummy
-Anaryu Midnight Realm
-Deacon Batista Til Death Do Us Part
-Xargoth Nightmare 4 (Fear)
-crossroad00 Pumpkin Night
-TheDigitalMonk Hallow's Eve
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
post=101300
The winner will receive an RMN achievement and 50 USD.

Haha! I would have done it just for the achievement!

Edit: I expect a real fancy medal after I win.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
More details on the achievement stuff will be revealed later in a separate topic.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Are people allowed to collaborate?
enjoy $25 each
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
If the achievement is a small avatar type thing I'd love to try to make one.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
arcan, I actually have yet to make the graphics for the system yet. But let's keep all discussion on that for the achievement topic when it gets made.
This is a neat idea! Short time frame, small game, no heavy work requirement. I'll probably enter this.
post=101347
Signup required?
I'm guessing you sign up by submitting a game.

I'd love to try this. Though what I'm severely lacking is a proper game idea.

Zombies?
Hmm.

What does 'Must Be Intended For This Contest' mean, precisely? That one shouldn't have started work on it before this contest was announced, or that it's an idea that didn't come before this contest, or...?
post=101357
Hmm.

What does 'Must Be Intended For This Contest' mean, precisely? That one shouldn't have started work on it before this contest was announced, or that it's an idea that didn't come before this contest, or...?

Basically meaning you can't dig up some 5 month old project and call it your Halloween entry. Ideas you had before hand or something are fine. We were discussing about this contest a little while ago, about 2 people already started on their entries because they assumed we were going with some game contest, and we did, and thats fine. I am just trying to make it fair by giving everyone roughly the same development time.

post=101306

That is a good question. No, it won't be fair to the people who are soloing it (a lot of people). Obviously being able to double the work force puts you at a high advantage for a small timeframe. You can have 'some help' with your project like ideas or resource finding, but ultimately you'll be entering as one person.

Changed: Yes up to 2 people
post=101358
post=101306
That is a good question. No, it won't be fair to the people who are soloing it (a lot of people). Obviously being able to double the work force puts you at a high advantage for a small timeframe. You can have 'some help' with your project like ideas or resource finding, but ultimately you'll be entering as one person.

Not to be overly nitpicky and weird about it all but what counts as soloing? I mean is it okay to use graphics someone else made or use music/sound someone else made? (I'm bad at graphics and I probably couldn't do music even if I tried)

And now I've got my game idea. Zombies. Definitely.
Might as well make my adaptation of "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" for this contest...
WIP
post=101365
post=101358
post=101306
Not to be overly nitpicky and weird about it all but what counts as soloing? I mean is it okay to use graphics someone else made or use music/sound someone else made? (I'm bad at graphics and I probably couldn't do music even if I tried)

And now I've got my game idea. Zombies. Definitely.

Yeah those are fine, Shinan. It just can't be like, WIP AND KARS TEAM UP FOR HALLOWEEN ACTION. You can use graphics and sounds from other places. Just can't have two people working on the game implementation stuff.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=101358
post=101306

Welp.
Boo~

Can't participate if it's a solo thing, my artist/wife and I always do projects together.

Was all excited and thinking of ideas and then I came back and read the comments. :P
WIP
Ana, I'll speak with Darken about this sort of thing. If teamups increase the number of quality entries, than I am for them.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Woah what, I had no idea it was your wife you worked with. That's cool. LYS AND YRENA GOGOGO

Anyway, prepare for a spook.
Pages: first 123456 next last