DAWN'S LIGHT

Pages: first 1234 next last
Has anybody heard of this?

http://www.johnwizard.com/

It's another one of those ridiculously expensive RPG Maker games being sold these days, except that it's actually good. It's essentially Legend of Zelda, Eternal Eden and Deadly Sin mashed together and then seasoned with very good writing and surprisingly decent atmospherics. RTP graphics aside, this is probably the best RPG Maker VX game that I've seen. Definitely a case where you shouldn't judge a book by its cover!

On the other hand, it's 20 dollars. Which is a lot. But if you're in a crazy mood and feel like throwing your money away you could probably do a lot worse than this.
Looks like shit. The majority of the trailer (You know, the thing that's supposed to entice me to buy something) is an RTP character wandering around some very bland locales... Against a backdrop of really generic sounding music.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
post=101447
Looks like shit.
Yeah, that's kind of the problem.

Like I said, this is a situation where you can't judge a book by its cover. The game itself is pretty good, it's just that the people who made it so far haven't done an especially good job of selling it.

In case anyone needs any more enticing to throw away twenty dollars I'd like to add that Dawn's Light streamlines the JRPG formula in some really neat ways. Example: save points in this game are represented by books, and books can be found everywhere you might normally find a book, like in houses or shops. Another example: instead of having treasure chests hidden all over the place or even having random items hidden in every closet, pot, etc. in the game, all items can be found inside of barrels that can be found all over the place.

These things don't sound like much but the fact that the creators put this amount of thought into the game's design rather than going with the regular JRPG formula and throwing sparkly save points and treasure chests in that make no conceptual sense says a lot for Dawn's Light, I think. I know that this is a pretty hard sell but from the limited section of the game I have played I am sure that this is not shit.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
post=101450

Like I said, this is a situation where you can't judge a book by its cover. The game itself is pretty good, it's just that the people who made it so far haven't done an especially good job of selling it.

It's obvious you made the game, why are you plugging it here when advertisement for your own game isn't allowed in the forums.
I didn't make it, actually. Also, this isn't meant to be advertising, it's just a recommendation. I could say, for example, that The Reconstruction is probably a better game than this one, but that was made in XP, not VX. In terms of what has been made in VX so far this is probably at the top of the heap.

But if I've crossed some kind of line here plugging a game that is possibly undeserving of this kind of praise then I'm sorry. I just thought that this might go under the radars of some of the people here, and I think this game does too many things right to deserve that kind of fate.

post=101450

I fail to see how this is the case. If this guy's idea of "Unique Dungeons" is a LAVA CAVE!; I'm going to have to pass. That one line (though there are many others) tells me that this guy delusional...at best.

In case anyone needs any more enticing to throw away twenty dollars I'd like to add that Dawn's Light streamlines the JRPG formula in some really neat ways. Example: save points in this game are represented by books, and books can be found everywhere you might normally find a book, like in houses or shops. Another example: instead of having treasure chests hidden all over the place or even having random items hidden in every closet, pot, etc. in the game, all items can be found inside of barrels that can be found all over the place.

...This doesn't sound impressive at all.

These things don't sound like much but the fact that the creators put this amount of thought into the game's design rather than going with the regular JRPG formula and throwing sparkly save points and treasure chests in that make no conceptual sense says a lot for Dawn's Light, I think. I know that this is a pretty hard sell but from the limited section of the game I have played I am sure that this is not shit.

If this game made any significant changes to the formula, you would have went ahead and listed them... Or perhaps you'd prove me wrong right now and actually give us a good reason why I should spend 20$ on a game who's noteworthy innovations include "Save points in bookshelves" and "Treasure in BARRELS".

It's obvious you made the game, why are you plugging it here when advertisement for your own game isn't allowed in the forums.

Don't jump to conclusions.
Cool viral marketing bro.

Game starts out fast, I like it when the intro isn't WORLD HISTORY. However it starts you out in a very stereotypical town with useless NPCs and mandatory sidequests. There's really no actual plot until you do the "collect 5 frogs" and "get the sheep back!" sidequests, not a very exciting start so far. The bland dialogue doesn't really help either. The main character is like an RM version of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"Okay I will go collect the frogs right now"
"Okay thank you."

No personality, no real past (unless your grandfather {who is not your real grandfather PREPLOTTWIST!!!} leaving you at a young age counts for anything)

After battles that look like this:

I start to seriously consider turning off the game. But I decided to complete the sheep sidequest anyway, hoping that theres something I'm missing, maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel and after I get through this I'll-

YOUR VILLAGE HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY VILLAINS WHO WERE LOOKING FOR YOU, CUE IN THE OBLIGATORY "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE GO SAVE THE WORLD" STORYLINE THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT.

definitely worth 20 buacks
It totally is LoZ, Eternal Eden, and Deadly Sin put with good writing and deadly atmosphere.

Okay I will go collect frogs now.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
THE VILLAINS- THEY LEFT ME A BOOK WITH WHICH TO SAVE MY GAME. WHAT NICE GUYS.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
IT IS THE GREEN MAGOBBLIN
The little chibi character set floating mid air makes me XD
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
So Karsu and I were thinking about making a crappy RTP game to sell because we saw this game a few weeks ago

then we kept working on V&V

EDIT: The best part is that this probably has more sales than all of your games have downloads.
post=101469
EDIT: The best part is that this probably has more sales than all of your games have downloads.

Make one of those browser games where you trade cash for non-grinding gameplay

New Plan: Make game in three hours, make twenty-thousand bucks.

I'd be surprised if more than 10 people actually bought this.
It may only be October, but I feel confident that Dawn's Light is the best independent game release of 2009. It's so good that I wish it were possible to see a DS or WiiWare port of it. Dawn's Light‘s greatest point is the wonderful script and writing

I actually played the game for about 5 minutes. It's not good but congrats on this guy on selling game. I'm sure Amaranthia helped his sales a bit. Though I find it mind blowing that the trailer does not show the combat of the game at all.

I've also noticed these games are getting rushed to the market faster than ever now because people are noticing how easy it is to make quick cash. This is probably why they are lower quality but I'm sure they don't mind.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Judging from the trailer it doesn't look that bad to me but then again I have never finished a game.
Pages: first 1234 next last