HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WORKING ON YOUR GAME?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Cavern of Doom was originally a mini game for a larger project and I 'think' it took about a month of good solid work and then latter down the road it took another month to finish/polish it for a stand-alone release. The single biggest time sink was play testing and inventing new curse words for the times I died right before the next boss...

My main project is an off and on again affair that has lasted at least 9 years. I hate that it is still going but maybe some decade I can finish it.... It really is my Duke Nukem Forever without the lawsuits and press coverage :P

Oh and my first game I made way back on RM95 took a few days (including learning the engine of course) and no way will that see the light of day! With a name like 'The Stupid RPG' it certainly shouldn't!
post=104733
8 years. :U

That's not true really is it Lennon? You should explain. I think theres a difference of having the same idea for 8 years and the same game for 8 years. The current version of Neo Lescia is so completely different to the version before that I played on GW. I wouldn't say it's the same at all.

I was working on my first game for over a year. I had lots of little projects (especially on VX) that haven't stood the test of time. Malevolent was started months ago but I gave up and just picked it up again recently. since I've gotten past the part of development that usually stops me, I see only good things.
post=105637
post=104733
8 years. :U
That's not true really is it Lennon? You should explain. I think theres a difference of having the same idea for 8 years and the same game for 8 years. The current version of Neo Lescia is so completely different to the version before that I played on GW. I wouldn't say it's the same at all.

I was working on my first game for over a year. I had lots of little projects (especially on VX) that haven't stood the test of time. Malevolent was started months ago but I gave up and just picked it up again recently. since I've gotten past the part of development that usually stops me, I see only good things.

If I were to say how long the game has existed in a full format (On paper, from a long time ago) then yeah, 8 years.

But In reality, the 'good' version of Neo Lescia thats on my profile now (I think it's V3.6 or something) then it'd be around errr.... 7 months/ a year?
My first demo for Tiamat Sacrament came out in April. I hope to finish by next April. It's its own anniversary present.
I had been working on Iris of Emillion for about a year and a half, and Blink for about two months.
Now I'm just juggling between both Blink and Source SDK :(.
Well, I'm incredibly lazy and my computer's crashed a good 3 times.
I've been working on Avian Legends for a good 2 years and I'm only up to the first boss. But I had to start over a couple times and i've ended up working on side projects.
I've been working on EITMOD since my cruise to Alaska in... I believe June.
So it's been about half a year and I've only just gotten a demo out mid October.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I've been working on Tina of the Stars for about two years now, which is quite odd to me since the game is intended to be short. Then again, I tend to get side-tracked a lot.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=105994
Then again, I tend to get side-tracked a lot.

but those sidetrackings are awesome. they spawn things like chrono trigger.
Complete Chaos - I started it August 2007, and I'm still working on it. Alhough, an entire year went by where I didn't touch it at all

Vanity - Started March 2008. I work on it occassionally, basically whenever I have an idea for it. Months and months go by without any progress, but whenever I get a creative spark for it, I tend to put it above everything else. And then the cycle repeats.

Mystery Man Zero - Started January 2009. I worked on it consistently up until around March or April. I will get back to it once CC is done.
My current main project (that snow steampunk game I subtly post in the now dead screenshot topic) was started in late july 2009. So roughly 4-5 months. Theres not much to say, only that I was actually going to get like, a chapter done every 2 months, I still haven't got a single chapter done. ):

also fuck lungs collapsing.
My current project, untitled online php/javaapplet based game, I've been working on since about late June [2009]. Back in 2003 (give or take a year?) I made a little graphic free turn based battle system (actually, you only had the option of pressing the attack button) in php, a store where shield and swords can be bought using the gold gained from monsters, and register and login functions. I didn't get very far with it, and it used magic quotes for security. Anyway, I found a copy of it on an old hard drive, showed it to others, and it's come quite a way so far.

Feel free to bet on it never going live to the public though. :/
post=105995
post=105994
Then again, I tend to get side-tracked a lot.
but those sidetrackings are awesome. they spawn things like chrono trigger.

Oh yes, that game. I kinda found more respect for that game as time progressed and I think that I should give that game a higher score than I did, but it's potty humor was just terrible and I couldn't stand it.
I worked on my project for 2 da-
oh nevermind it's cancelled.
I started it about a year and a half ago, worked on it for a month, picked it back up again maybe 3 weeks ago.

I have a loooooong way to go ;\
I've started on mine way back in my Junior year in High School. So about 3-4 years. My own standards and expectations evolved, and so did my laziness. Not accounting the periods where I was on hiatus, I would say I've worked on this game for about 11months.
I don't know how you guys spend so much time on a single project. I've just passed the one year anniversary of my project, and I feel like it has taken way to long. The whole point behind the development and design of my game was to get it out as quickly as possible.
I had a nearly completed project 2-3 years ago, ~18 hours of gameplay (was shooting for 20), with enough custom content to sink the Titanic (...again!) but... about 6 months ago, my Ex tried to download a WoW Hacks (...there is a reason she's my ex) and a virus destroyed my computer.

Now, for about a month, I've been working on an RMVX Version (Might revert to XP, it's tempting) and I'm only about 2 hours of bug-free gameplay in. :(
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Visions & Voices was finished in ~six weeks total (three weeks were rushed, three weeks were lazy) and has ~6-10 hours of gameplay (varies greatly depending on your play style!). Note that V&V was made by both Karsuman and I, so it wasn't just one person doing all of the work. Also note that about 3-4 days of that time was JUST spent organizing documents, setting up characters and the game world, and other such bookkeeping, and that the actual game was made in the first three weeks. We then went back and polished some stuff off and on for three weeks.

The first demo(n) of the newest version of Demon Tower (now known as Diablocide) is a few hours from being finished and has taken two weeks. It has ~2 hours of gameplay, possibly a little more if you're not the actual creator (just me, no Karsu except for testing).

DRESS (my first completed traditional RPG) took a week and is ~3-4 hours long iirc. Oration Legends took roughly a month because I was learning how to use SRPGMaker 95 and is... two hours long?

Epic Monster Dungeon Explore! 2 took four hours to make and is less than a meg in size. It is about an hour and a half long and somehow managed to become (in)famous for both its OHKO spells and amazing quotes. It also probably has the best size:downloads ratio on the site.

Arian Wild, Karsu and I's current project, has no gameplay at all but has been heavily in the works for at least a month now. We really need everything set up perfectly both because we're pretending to be not-amateur and because we hate scope creep.
--- Completed Games ----
Fluffy And The Gang
- Six months. The best six months ever! My first complete project in rpgmaker :D Really encourage me to create more games.

U.S.G. ~ A New Beginning
- Two months for the contest entry version. Another month or two for the secret boss + improvement version.

Hello Panda
- A week. It was one of the most horrible week actually. I remember did not get any sleep to get it finished in time of the contest.

DotPlus PC Version
- 2 days. Actually it should take more time, but the library that I was first gonna use fail me so I have to start all over and did everything in two days.

DotPlus Flash Version
- 1 week ( excluding ads adding and bug fixes stuffs. It took another 1 week if you includes those, I think )

--- In Progress ----
Adolescence
- 2 Years, and this is probably the 3rd year of it now *sigh*. Bite more than I can chew with this one. X(

Magus Magus
- 1 Year. It's been on and off since we would like to finish small projects first.

--- Prototypes ---
RGB ~Draw The Bullets~, Gosu Shmup, Popoyo~ The Devil Apprentice ~, Chain Reaction ( a failure X( ), Evolve Or Die.
- These are done in a week for one-week prototype development activities over at shmup-dev.com. I wish I had time to do more though but real life prevent me from doing so heh.
Pages: first prev 123 next last