HOW WILLING ARE YOU TO INVESTIGATE?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I guess I took it the wrong way. It sounded like I didn't put anything worthwhile in the hidden objects in the game and that searching around was totally pointless and a waste of your time, followed by a sarcastic "good jeoorb homstar"!
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
nonononono that's dragon warrior. especially the gameboy colour one. i got so tired of searching forever for that last tiny medal in a dungeon and finding 'lol yey 3 gold' or 'lol yey a miscellaneous clothing item' or 'omg what a mimic oh no i am dead'
Until playing Hero's realm I tended to overlook even the idea of random items being hidden throughout the town. You totally made it fun Kentona! I really don't even pay attention to what I found though I think I just got addicted to the jingly sound :)

I do think having little things to find in towns or just fun NPC interactions can really bring a town to life though. If there isn't anything explorable there why not just make the town a selection of menus that bring up shops!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=105372
I guess I took it the wrong way. It sounded like I didn't put anything worthwhile in the hidden objects in the game and that searching around was totally pointless and a waste of your time, followed by a sarcastic "good jeoorb homstar"!

fucking rainbow seeds <3

bob: I like how the Etrian Odyssey series does the town. Every key location is just a menu inside of the town menu, but you can still talk to the people of the town... each NPC has a personality you can witness as you do quests and talk to the people (their dialogue changes every time you go up a floor). I just wish EO1's barkeep was EO2's... EO2 is superior in every way except for the barkeep. I also loved EO1's shopkeep, but the new girl is so great it's hard to decide who's better.
True the 'menu system' town can be done and done well. In fact I remember playing Bard's Tale long long ago and HATING THE TOWN! It was a maze like hellish dimension with random encounters that would be a breeze or slaughter you're level 1 party....

That game needed town to just be a menu! So not only can menu towns be done well but towns with an actual interactive map can be done to suck the marrow from the players bones :P

I have heard of the EO so I'll have to check it out sometime think I saw it on youtube at random.....
Craze
Get EO2, not EO. EO is good but EO2 streamlines some stuff that just makes it all better.
Jag brukar egentligen inte undersöka så mycket. Speciellt inte i början. Det är först när jag börjat tycka om ett spel som jag börjar söka allting. Och jag gillar alltid ett spel så mycket mera om det lönar sig att undersöka när jag väl börjar.

Förstås jag är oftast nöjd bara med små detaljer. Tidningen i Arcanum t.ex. Saker som får allting att verka så mycket mer levande. Kanske man kunde kalla det för "djup". Att det inte bara är potemkinkulisser hela vägen utan att när man ser bakom draperiet så finns det verkligen något där!

Det är förstås inte dödsviktigt men speciellt om man spelar ett spel mer än en gång så vill man gärna se att spelet inte rämnar genast. Att den ger litet motstånd fastän man försöker gamea den litet :)

(Today is Swedish Day so I will post only in Swedish for the whole day. Sorry about the inconvenience)
you could at least translate it so it doesn't come off as spam
post=105499
I usually do not really look that much. Especially in the beginning. It is only when I started to think about a game that I begin to search everything. And I always like a game so much more if it is worthwhile to examine once I start.

Of course I am usually happy with just small details. The newspaper in Arcanum eg Things that makes everything seem so much more alive. Perhaps you could call it "deep". That it is not just Potemkin village all the way but when you look behind the curtain, there's really no where!

Of course it is not death, but especially important if you are playing a game more than once, one strives to ensure that the game is not bursting at once. That it provides little resistance even though you try the game a little:)

There you go.
tardis
translation sucks, real men speak multiple languages.
Oh hush, at least it's legible now.
but I'm an american

we are linguistically retarded.
tardis
post=105598
but I'm an american

we are retarded.

Fixed.
Craze
Hooray for people supporting demeaning stereotypes of their own country

EDIT: Barrels are nice but I really like finding items in URNS and POTS.
I never talk to NPCs in games because sometimes they drag on for like 5 or 6 message boxes and I regret talking to them. If the game marks out the important NPCs from the ones that just take up space then I often see what they have to say. I know this isn't really about NPCs so, yes, I do investigate at the start of the game, if it seems like it's going to be worth my time then I will. If there is one thing to find in every 20 objects then no, I won't bother. I love collecting and constantly finding stuff. The game that comes to mind is Dragon Quest 8. I picked, opened and read everything in that game.

In most RM games I've played, the maker starts out with good intentions there'll put lots to find in the first town but quickly they lose interest in putting anything to examine and I don't know why. In mine I give hints, or basically just tell you there's something to find here because of object will faintly flash. We'll see if that turns out to be a good idea.

I once played an RM game where you could examine literally everything. Great I thought. But no, it was limited to one of two copy and paste message boxes. "Nothing to find" or "It's junk". Effort please.

EDIT: Ok I didn't really read the opening post. Will update with a better response in a bit.
A little sprinkling of incentive to search is nice. Its funny how much cooler it is to find an antidote on a shelf than go buy several for trivial amounts of cash.
When i'm first allowed to roam around a town and talk to people, i kind of know from there if i'll be talking to NPC's from then on. As nice as it is to know about the history of the world, it's much better to learn about it in a subtle way. If every single person spoonfeeds me it, in a very boring way, then i'll skip it all, and probably won't be talking to NPC's from then on. It just doesn't feel genuine(unless i happen to be talking to a historian).

But if they talk about something amusing, and genuinely interesting, then i'll go out of my way to talk to every single one. This is what i did in FFIX, in fact, in most Final Fantasy's minus 12, and the ones for DS.

post=105183
A pet peeve of mine is when a game doesn't show you that there's items to find/books to read/hidden extras in the first half hour or so. If you're making a game then let the player know there's stuff there to look for. You don't need to spell it out via NPC or book, just have examples of what to look for at the beginning of the game.

Iniiit, I didn't even realise until right near the end of FFIV for the DS that you could examine bits of grass and barrels and things(not that i would have gone out of my way to do it if i had known...) to find potions(!) and the like.
Exploring is fun when there are incentives relevant to the player's interest to do so. Pointless backstory is neat but when its the only thing laying around people are going to start ignoring all the stuff on the floor and focus on what is more relevant to the game instead of some jumbo about the world.
I'm only interested in talking to people who will help me progress in the game. I hate idle chatter about the world, I don't read bookshelves, and I hate finding potions in closets.
post=105949
I'm only interested in talking to people who will help me progress in the game. I hate idle chatter about the world, I don't read bookshelves, and I hate finding potions in closets.

You sound like a real blast.
Pages: first prev 123 next last