TOTAL MORON'S GUIDE TO IRC (USING MIBBIT)

Pages: first 1234 next last
Hey jerks. Want to know what's better than using the forums? Using IRC.

Yeah, you know where you can actually talk to people in real-time?

Well, in case you are a total failure at things like downloading and installing software, and breathing, here is a quick and simple guide to getting your ass into #rpgmaker.net using Mibbit, a neat little online IRC service.

How to get on #rpgmaker.net and become an internet superstar

Type 'mibbit.com' into your address box. I have tried Mibbit on a few different browsers (namely, Firefox and IE), but if it doesn't work, either update or change your browser. You should get the screen below:

Click on the 'Start chatting now' button. This page should come up:

Click on the drop-down menu next to the 'IRC:' text...

Drag down to SynIRC (webirc) and select it. This is the server the #rpgmaker.net channel is on. If you try to enter the channel name on another server you might...somehow...find people there, but they won't be us. =p

Now that that's done...click the text entry field next to 'Nick'...

...And type in the user name you desire. If the nick is registered (i.e. taken) you will swiftly get a prompt saying that if you do not enter a password your name will be forcibly changed, upon entering the server. There's a process for registering nicks and such, but that is outside of the confines of this tutorial. Let's focus on getting you on first.

Type #rpgmaker.net in the text entry field next to 'Channel'. This is the channel where you can talk to us. We will make your dreams come true. After that's entered, just press the 'Go' button!

You will immediately get two tabs beside the 'Home' tab. This one below is full of gibberish, most of which you will not understand.

The second tab, #rpgmaker.net, is where you can talk to us, though.

Did you guys know I could see the future?

And that's my guide for getting on IRC using Mibbit. Seriously, if you guys can't get on using this, you are hopeless!

...Or you just don't want to talk to us.

You want to talk to us, right?

...Right!?

p.s. if you want to change your nick, type in (/nick 'enter name here') without the parentheses or emphases.

p.s.s. closing your browser window will close Mibbit, obviously. So don't do that.

p.s.s.s if you want to try downloading and installing IRC software, try these:

For PC:
mIRC: http://www.mirc.com/
HydraIRC: http://www.hydrairc.com/

For Mac:
Colloquy: http://colloquy.info/

Generally speaking, these programs will be fairly similar to Mibbit - you just need to obtain the software. The process for entering #rpgmaker.net should be very similar between all of them. All listed IRC software is also free of charge.
Hey! I'm good at downloading and installing....gasp*

Shit, forgot to breath again...
Hey jerks. Want to know what's better than using the forums? Using IRC.
Yeah, you know where you can actually talk to people in real-time?

The part that sucks about this is if you're busy with work/school/life. In that scenario, the forums are better because you can pick up and resume conversations you left. If it weren't for that, we'd never see cool yet extremely busy faces like brandon or kentona. However, that's not to take away from IRC, I totally recommend everyone to drop in and check out the IRC community!
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Hey, that' so simple, even I can do it! I can't wait to start pouring countless hours into RM banter!

But seriously, I've had trouble getting IRC to work before, so you've helped at least one idiot by writing this!
Hey, I'm using Mibbit from now on. Also, Nico, get on IRC sometime.
I'm on IRC about once a every 4 months.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
Hello everyone I will see you on "internet chat relay" i go by various names such as snes_roms, sailor_sky, sunjammer, mt_koltz_tea, ultimate_french_toast, Cielnee, and occasionally "Ciel"
Magi
Resident Terrapin
I am always in the IRC channel please whisper me if you are angry about me denying your submission or want to know why Kentona approved that new bad game (i can read his mind)
Whales are awesome, dammit!
a fitting title. if you're using mibbit you are a total moron
Does anyone actually use this site's irc channel?
21 users online
You could actually look, you know.

Why the hell would I have wasted my time making this topic otherwise?
Actually I did look and no one was there. Also maybe I joined the wrong channel? I went to dynastynet and joined #rpgmaker. Did I go wrong place?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
#rpgmaker.net
Thanks that works. Unfortunately this means I have an even bigger problem now. If this guide is for morons and I can't even follow it correctly what does that make me? *cries*
author=McBick
Thanks that works. Unfortunately this means I have an even bigger problem now. If this guide is for morons and I can't even follow it correctly what does that make me? *cries*

this is a wonderful question
author=McBick

Look on the bright side, it means you're not a moron :D
is dynastynet down? i can't connect to the server or access their website.
Pages: first 1234 next last