SCREENSHOT SESAME STREET (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

I dunno, it still looks like rm2k3 to me.
I don't really understand why Nightblade had to post that in the first place, like he was trying to make AFD feel bad or something.

AFD, that system is actually nice considering it is RM2k3. Glad to see it actually works.
post=108022
AFD, that system is actually nice considering it is RM2k3. Glad to see it actually works.

What exactly was nice about it, might I ask? I'm having a lot of trouble finding any redeeming qualities here.

Barring the terrible and oversized UI, all I see is a very clunky picture over-reacting to small hits given by the playable character.
post=107988
Nessiah that is not rm2k3 because you forgot two major things, that game displays more than one battle animation at once, which rm2k3 clearly cannot.

No it doesn't. There was only one battle animation throughout. If you look closely, specifically at parts like 2:09-2:16, a new battle animation cuts off the old one, which RM2k3 DOES do. The author adds to the illusion of multiple battle animations by making the animation itself like 4-5 frames.

post=107988
Second, rm2k3 uses a grid based movement system. The movement follows squares.
Look at the main character, shes moving in ways that just can't be done in rm2k3. That movement is way too precise for rm2k3's capabilities. Even me and azn chipmunk working together couldn't create that using rm2k3.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with this particular point. (Especially at 1:38-1:45 WTF? lolz). However, by examining the video closely, I'm going to have to say that the hero herself is entirely picture based. What adds evidence to my claim is her movement in the water. The author used transparency on the lower half of the picture making it look like shes walking in water.

post=107988
And also thats showing every monster moving in 8-directions, come on Nessiah, if that can be done in rm2k3 then I need to know rite nao!

This can easily be done by giving monsters detailed movement AI. The author added movement speed changes and jumps within that AI. Based on what's seen in the video, unlike the hero's movement, the monsters movement was entirely square to square, thus making them regular character sets not pictures.

post=107988
And if that is a rm2k3 game then that would mean this game would have to be using all pictures for everything, even the trees.....Everything.....

wouldn't that produce a little lag? Just a little?

The trees, not the stumps, are pictures. If you have a decent enough CPU, and utilize your events properly, you can easily avoid lag with pictures no matter how many you have on the map at one time.

P.S. and off-topic:: Requesting music in that vid plz :P.
post=108035
post=108022
What exactly was nice about it, might I ask? I'm having a lot of trouble finding any redeeming qualities here.

Barring the terrible and oversized UI, all I see is a very clunky picture over-reacting to small hits given by the playable character.

You're very critical aren't you?
It's looks decently fluid and nicely done to me. A better looking ABS than a lot of attempts on rm2k3.
Yess. The girl above me just spoke with my tongue.
It's looks decently fluid and nicely done to me. A better looking ABS than a lot of attempts on rm2k3.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/101/

One of the few good action battle systems made in 2k3, and even then it's severely limited by Rm2k3's grid based movement. I posted that video (for about the 50th time) so this guy could get a look on how a decent action battle engine should look. Grid based movement, four directional movement, combined with a UI that's far too big, an enemy that does nothing but walk around and hurt you if he touches you, and item use that's clunky at best - I don't see how anyone can even think that looks the least bit fun. Are you people so blinded the fact that the monster flies backwards when the player hits it?

The problem, if I remember correctly is that the battle system im the video I linked only supports 20x15 maps; but this annoying limitation can be worked around in a number of ways. (One! ... One's a number...)

like he was trying to make AFD feel bad or something.

You know me too well.
It's nice because I have a grasp of how hard it would be to even make an ABS, let alone do it with good fluency like he did.

Why don't you stop being so overly critical (and harsh)?
Well it's nicer for you to give critique rather than just criticize.
You can't expect everybody to do everything perfectly, and get angry when they don't.

Edit: Sorry, i didn't notice Lennons post, i don't mean to gang up or anything :(
Yeah NB you really need to stop being a dick, dude. No matter how much sense the underlying message makes, people have no obligation to listen to you if you're going to be an asshole.

I don't see why you have to make it a fundamental part of your persona to be a jackass when interacting with others. It's pretty old!
post=108057
I don't see why you have to make it a fundamental part of your persona to be a jackass when interacting with others. It's pretty old!
Feld should know!

;)

post=108051
Well it's nicer for you to give critique rather than just criticize.
You can't expect everybody to do everything perfectly, and get angry when they don't.

I don't get angry when someone does something wrong, I get annoyed when people give something praise to something that doesn't deserve it. Everyone is falling over themselves over something that most anyone outside of this community would look at and say "wtf is this shit?". This is one of the reasons why Rpgmaker has such a shitty reputation.

let alone do it with good fluency like he did.

Can you explain to me what part of this is fluent? Is it the shabby way the monster moves? The battle animation that plays over the hero when he hits the attack key?
It seems like you have a problem with AFD, Nightblade. What did he do to you to get thrown into dirt like this?
post=108064
I don't get angry when someone does something wrong, I get annoyed when people give something praise to something that doesn't deserve it. Everyone is falling over themselves over something that most anyone outside of this community would look at and say "wtf is this shit?". This is one of the reasons why Rpgmaker has such a shitty reputation.

Well being a grumpy grouch won't convince anyone to act differently; it just makes you look like a troll who should find someplace else to be.

If you want things to change, you need to work harder than simply giving superficial criticism that doesn't lend any useful help or inspire the other person to want to do better. If you don't care enough to do that, that's your problem, not theirs. Enjoy having to watch people claim shit is gold until you do, or better yet, just GTFO.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Can't we all just get along and go back to looking at screenshots?

Like this one:

Yes, everyone bask in Quizmaster's glory.
post=108069
If you want things to change, you need to work harder than simply giving superficial criticism that doesn't lend any useful help or inspire the other person to want to do better. If you don't care enough to do that, that's your problem,

Yes, because telling him exactly whats wrong, showing him an example of something better, and telling him the truth isn't helpful in the slightest. I don't think you know what the word "superficial" means.

not theirs. Enjoy having to watch people claim shit is gold until you do, or better yet, just GTFO.

Well! I had no idea I held such clout around here. Well guys, I guess I'll be nice from now on! That will make the community's standards much, much higher for no reason whatsoever. Uh oh! You indirectly called it shit; better apologize before the entire forum jumps down your throat.
post=108072
Yes, because telling him exactly whats wrong, showing him an example of something better, and telling him the truth isn't helpful in the slightest.

No, simply telling him the truth and showing him an example of something better DOES NOT help - that just gives people the impression that they may as well give up. Telling him exactly what's wrong would help along with those things, if that's actually what you did:

post=108022

... But I don't call "terrible UI" or "clunky picture" or anything else you said as being very specific or useful criticism. What's "terrible" about it? What's constitutes the picture being "clunky"? Yes, you need to provide those things. No, we don't care if you don't want to, you can always just not say anything and/or go away.
Well guys, I guess I'll be nice from now on! That will make the community's standards much, much higher for no reason whatsoever.

If you think being nice, or having any standards of civility is mutually exclusive with giving constructive criticism or raising the communities standard, you have a lot to learn about basic human interaction. I mean do you have Aspergers or something? You don't HAVE to be a dick to get things done or to get a point across.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
No, seriously guys, screenshots! In this one, you run over zombies with a car.

Something about the very clean road and boxes seems off when put next to those damaged buildings. I'd either damage up the boxes and the road a bit, or make the buildings look a little less like they were ripped straight from a photograph (add more defining lines and such). And also, I'm having some issues with the perspective on that crater (at least, I think it's a crater), but it may just be the way that's it's cut off by that gate at the top of the screen. Put some space between it and the gate, and let's see how it looks then.