SCREENSHOT SESAME STREET (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
More screenshots of my stupid ABS mini-game, Super Porygon 3D!

Nothing says out with the old like the top of the page

Most ABS's are terrible. This is something I hope to remedy by making mine NOT terrible. But how does it look?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
post=108079
If you think being nice, or having any standards of civility is mutually exclusive with giving constructive criticism or raising the communities standard, you have a lot to learn about basic human interaction. I mean do you have Aspergers or something? You don't HAVE to be a dick to get things done or to get a point across.
E-high five, brother!

Adding to the attempted rescue of this topic:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6285/bh1.png
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8857/bh2.png

Yes I did name that move "Fire Blast" sue me for liking Pokemon skill names
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

SCREENSHOT

also I agree with NB
... But I don't call "terrible UI" or "clunky picture" or anything else you said as being very specific or useful criticism. What's "terrible" about it? What's constitutes the picture being "clunky"? Yes, you need to provide those things. No, we don't care if you don't want to, you can always just not say anything and/or go away.

I would have thought it obvious simply by LOOKING at the damn thing, but it's of no consequence at this point. If this is the stuff that passes for good around here; well - enjoy your slow death.

If you think being nice, or having any standards of civility is mutually exclusive with giving constructive criticism or raising the communities standard, you have a lot to learn about basic human interaction. I mean do you have Aspergers or something? You don't HAVE to be a dick to get things done or to get a point across.

This is funny coming from you of all people, but here's the thing - this whole thing started with me linking a simple video. That's it. I didn't go out of my way to insult him; I posted a video in response to someone saying its the most fluent thing he's seen in RPGmaker, that's all. What happened after that? Well, I shouldn't need to remind you; or maybe I do since I need to explain everything in great detail now.

For the purpose of actually contributing to this topic - let me tell you about what a UI should be and explain n great detail; why exactly that video reeks of a "spunk flavored lollypop".

A UI is there to give the player as much information as necessary as quickly as possible; while not taking up half the screen... Or at least that's what all good UIs do. Your game's HP bar alone actually obscures the hero at certain points. So the HP and MP bar doesn't need to be so big. Lets go to the next part of the UI, ok? The item selection. While the positioning is ok, the buttons are - again, far too big. Let's have a look at a good UI for an example - ok? Or is that too harsh for you people?

Notice how all of the thing the player needs to know isn't obstructing the screen? This is an example of a good UI, and this is the approach you should take, OR NOT; I'm just a big grouch.

On to the gameplay.

Darken mentioned you shouldn't be using RM2k3 for this, he's right - but this largely falls on deaf ears around here. It's a good idea to use the maker best suited to your skills and needs. If you don't want to go through the trouble of making a picture based system in 2k3, you'd be better off moving to a different maker. Of course this may all be wasted and this project abandoned like SO many others; but that's beside the point, and I'm going far off here.

The monster itself moves very sloppily he moves 5 pixels at a time, when he... should obviously move one pixel at a time, as someone else has already mentioned (which begs the question - why do I need to mention it?).

The player, as already mentioned is hobbled with only 4 directions of movement, to use an item; I assume you simply hit the hotkey associated with the giant balloon buttons on the left. Fine - except that you need to pointlessly stop and wait for the item sprite itself to prop up and heal you. A pointless pause - making me further think to myself "Fluent? How?".

Lastly, lets touch on the graphics. The monster sprite itself is from a Nippon Ichi game. It uses a great deals of pastels.

The sprite is RTP styled, using a lot of flat colors.

The level is similarly diluted, but not quite as much.

Graphical consistency is important; just because you like two or three things, it doesn't mean they belong together. I like tuna and yogurt; but you don't put them both into a sandwich for god's sake... or maybe you do - I don't know.

I think that's about it... Oh; I liked the illusionary type effect for the monster's roaring... That's about it.

Oops, I almost forgot one thing. Aerogp; I'll leave when

1 - I damn well please
2 - I get banned

Ok? Good.
Can you just shut up already

I don't think anyone wants to hear this anymore, it's ruining the thread. And if this one gets ruined, we probably wont have another.

@Craze: Theres really nothing to say besides I like the style of that game.
This is funny coming from you of all people

You know, for the record, I don't think I've ever had a reputation for being a mean grouch. I've been called someone who's full of himself and a bit of a dick in the past, impressions I don't like giving people, but I've never been habitually mean for the sake of being mean! Or maybe I have, I dunno, but the point is, nobody is contesting WHAT you're saying. We all know you're an intelligent guy, but when you're conveying a message or a point to someone and you expect them to GRASP it, it's HOW you say it that sticks in their mind and helps them improve.

But yeah, the rest of your post is very solid advice.
As much as I hate seeing screenshot threads go through hell, I'm going to agree that this isn't NB's fault. Seriously dudes, all he did was post a video.
post=108092
I would have thought it obvious simply by LOOKING at the damn thing..

Even if you held both videos side-by-side, the other person would just be constantly asking "is this thing what you want?" "Is that thing what you want?" "Do I include this?" "Do I uninclude that?" because you didn't actually say what parts the video does good that the other person would want to apply. His only reaction would be, at best, to just take bits and pieces and 'test' it out on you to see if it you don't give the same tired response, which quite frankly, is a shitty path to improvement that is completely unnecessary.

post=108092
If this is the stuff that passes for good around here; well - enjoy your slow death.

Why do you even feel the need to say things like that? You write your words really careless like this, then act bewildered when people call you an ass.

post=108092
Let me tell you about what a UI should be.

stuff

Where the hell was all this in your last few posts? I mean, if it really pains you to say so much, you could have condensed it down without it losing its meaning, but what you said before isn't even close in meaning or value as what you said just now, it wasn't a condensed version so much as it was just condescending.

You need to do this more often.

EDIT: Also...

post=108096
As much as I hate seeing screenshot threads go through hell, I'm going to agree that this isn't NB's fault. Seriously dudes, all he did was post a video.

People are not taking offense to him posting a video, so much as how he responded to someone actually believing the original material was good for what it was. (unfathomable, right?!)
Even if you held both videos side-by-side, the other person would just be constantly asking "is this thing what you want?" "Is that thing what you want?" "Do I include this?" "Do I uninclude that?" because you didn't actually say what parts the video does good that the other person would want to apply. His only reaction would be, at best, to just take bits and pieces and 'test' it out on you to see if it you don't give the same tired response, which quite frankly, is a shitty path to improvement that is completely unnecessary.

I wasn't going to bother posting on this matter any further, but this deserves a reply - if nothing else.

You should at least give this guy SOME credit, and maybe let him speak for himself. When I say "clunky" I mean just that. Clunky. People know what the word clunky means, right? Doesn't anyone else think this whole thing is stupid? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

If you have any further questions, I would ask you to give them to me directly. This has gone on long enough.
It's a good idea to use the maker best suited to your skills and needs.

I want to highlight this because it was in the middle of a very long post.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
guys what the fuck happened to the screenshot topic
Happy
Devil's in the details
post=108110
guys what the fuck happened to the screenshot topic

For sake of moar screens..

Can you spot custom press machine and SnE reference!
I found the SnE reference!
I see it too!

Rei why do you have to be so good at presentation?
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
oh my fucking god rei
HEY LOOK AN ARGUMENT THAT IS DWINDLING
better put in my two cents!

Nightblade is right. The ABS isn't very good. Maybe it's sort of good for Rm2k3, but Rm2k3 sucks at making ABSes. There is a reason that no one has ever played the game that the video NB posted comes from, and it's because a system of that complexity eventually KILLS ITS CREATOR. He wasn't even being that critical, yikes. "Hey your system is clunky and not very good" *three pages of defending it*

Now would somebody please post a screenshot of the appropriate resolution (640x480) so that I may slather over it? This is getting ridiculous!

@Craze: Seriously, if you're going to use graphics that appear to be of a certain resolution, use something other than the RTP. I am a fan of the RTP, but there is so much more possible... if only you'd reach for the staaaarrrssss (otherwise, an interesting idea. How hard is it to implement that stuff in RMVX? Do you have to have another page on each chest with a switch controlling the shrine's influence, or it is a common event or a "script" or what?)

edit: well looks like I took too long to post that post and Rei posted something and therefore it's time to be impressed
AFrenchDreamer
plz send msg for internet grl shmoozing tipz
*Looks at the pages of posts after posting ABS vid*

Wow, what did I ever do to nightblade to deserve that? It's like everytime I post something he comes and tries to ruin things for me. Oh well.....

And also, thank you guys for the nice comments on my ABS. Greatly appreciated.
And thus afrenchdreamer has gained zero improvement.
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Rei, I forever will, be jealous of you. lol
Anyways, here are some screens of my game, that unfortunately I am not very long into yet. I am going for the somewhat Saga Frontier style game, so that explains the different settings and characters.

Yes, yes. I know. I need to do something about those blasted torches getting cut off. And I need a bigger RTP bed.

Probably, the best ship I have ever made, even though it's bland looking.

Thanks Liberty, for the dark dirt path thing. I know I haven't fixed the towers yet like you suggested.