SCREENSHOT SESAME STREET (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
NB was right for the most part but the way he said it I don't agree with. AFD your menu is too big and too spread out. There are quite a few things I can think of that would improve it but the most simple way would be to scale everything down, shove the limit bar somewhere next to the mp/hp bars, and move it all down to the bottom left corner so it's out of the way.
Jakester: The trouble with that dark vs. light dirt is that there's an implied elevation difference (light higher than dark) but the flat castle rests on both.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=108085
More screenshots of my stupid ABS mini-game, Super Porygon 3D!

Nothing says out with the old like the top of the page

Most ABS's are terrible. This is something I hope to remedy by making mine NOT terrible. But how does it look?

guys good job giving hali constructive criticism and comments. :/ try again
arcan
I have no idea what is going on in that picture and that's why I can't say anything.
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Thanks DFalcon. Don't know why I never noticed that before. >_<;;

Maybe it's me, but I think the "Press Start" would look better down at the feet? It probably stands out more that way or my eyes are bad.
AFrenchDreamer
plz send msg for internet grl shmoozing tipz
post=108046
It's looks decently fluid and nicely done to me. A better looking ABS than a lot of attempts on rm2k3.
http://rpgmaker.net/games/101/

One of the few good action battle systems made in 2k3, and even then it's severely limited by Rm2k3's grid based movement. I posted that video (for about the 50th time) so this guy could get a look on how a decent action battle engine should look. Grid based movement, four directional movement, combined with a UI that's far too big, an enemy that does nothing but walk around and hurt you if he touches you, and item use that's clunky at best - I don't see how anyone can even think that looks the least bit fun. Are you people so blinded the fact that the monster flies backwards when the player hits it?

The problem, if I remember correctly is that the battle system im the video I linked only supports 20x15 maps; but this annoying limitation can be worked around in a number of ways. (One! ... One's a number...)

like he was trying to make AFD feel bad or something.

You know me too well.

Oh my gosh, I just read this after flipping through the posts again. Wow what the hell!?

You started this whole argument just to make me feel bad about my ABS?

What kind of human are you? I mean, I would never say that to anyone on this forum regardless of what I thought about them.

Nightblade you failed in your mission, you have not made feel bad about my game or ABS. You just have made me want to work at it even harder and release it even sooner. Thanks.
post=108139
Nightblade you failed in your mission, you have not made feel bad about my game or ABS. You just have made me want to work at it even harder and release it even sooner. Thanks.

Umm... that was kinda also his mission, even if it didn't sound like it.

And I agree with what arcan said, but I really don't know what meaning Nightblade was trying to get across when he said that the boss sprite was 'clunky'. If you can make something custom that better fits the mood, more power to you, but otherwise it doesn't look 'terrible' to me.
Rei, those chairs are gigantic; that's about all I can find wrong with that shot.

If you can't make graphics on your own, the next best thing is to make your own tilesets by blending styles of graphics that compliment each other well, even if they are from different games. Tardis, Rei and I even find myself resorting to this these days. More people should do this, as it isnt even horribly difficult to do.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
For the record, that video could be done with RM2k3. However, I bet it took that person months to get 8 maps done due to the bizarre way he was using the engine.

Anyway whatevers. Stop arguing so much about shit. And people wonder why I want to remove screenshot topics...
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=108139
What kind of human are you?

he's dirty with the sin of homosexuality he's going to hell quick save him
post=108142
If you can't make graphics on your own, the next best thing is to make your own tilesets by blending styles of graphics that compliment each other well, even if they are from different games. Tardis, Rei and I even find myself resorting to this these days. More people should do this, as it isnt even horribly difficult to do.

I don't know, If I weren't at least a little art savvy, I wouldn't know where to begin to "blend styles of graphics". Do you mean to mix different tilesets from different games together with minor edits in color and detail? I would recommend that.
AFrenchDreamer
post=108143
For the record, that video could be done with RM2k3. However, I bet it took that person months to get 8 maps done due to the bizarre way he was using the engine.

Anyway whatevers. Stop arguing so much about shit. And people wonder why I want to remove screenshot topics...

Yeah it looks nice but it wasn't done with rm2k3, that game comes from some japanese website from some other RPG game maker type thingy.
I've successfully mixed the graphics of Dragon Warrior II, III and IV.
arcan
Yup, I actually something in the works. I got 2 ideas for a menu system but I'll probably go with the simpler one.

edit: the pictures of the potions are stolen placeholders.
post=108147
I've successfully mixed the graphics of Dragon Warrior II, III and IV.

Now try it with the remakes of the higher numbered ones.

3D... textures... everywhere!

I have successfully mixed many a chipset, but in order for you to see them you must wait for my smash hit game to be released to the public. The suspense is killing me!

edit: I really like #2, it's much cleaner and simpler by just removing those backgrounds. I also realy like the use of those leaves in black and white. That intrigues me...
AFrenchDreamer
post=108150
Yup, I actually something in the works. I got 2 ideas for a menu system but I'll probably go with the simpler one.

Dude I freaking love that! Keep going!
post=108085
More screenshots of my stupid ABS mini-game, Super Porygon 3D!
porygon??

Porygons rule and I really like the title screen but the level looks kinda dull. CYBERWOLRD I suppose but still it's grey floor, lots of identical grey doors, vaguely computeresque background. What would be really cool would be GLITCH GRAPHICS, like chopped-up broken pieces of random chipsets stuck haphazardly together to make it look like the game was breaking down. And the music would be a noisy buggy version of pokemons soundtrack. Basically I'm thinking like the Paper Rad Mario movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEaO5ONMj5o everyone watch this.
I have no opinions on the other games.
Do you mean to mix different tilesets from different games together with minor edits in color and detail? I would recommend that.

Depending on what you're doing, this is either the easiest thing ever or the world's biggest fucking pain.
post=108139
Oh my gosh, I just read this after flipping through the posts again. Wow what the hell!?

You started this whole argument just to make me feel bad about my ABS?

What kind of human are you? I mean, I would never say that to anyone on this forum regardless of what I thought about them.

Nightblade? Insult? Make feel bad?

Naauugghh
post=108018
Even me and azn chipmunk working together couldn't create that using rm2k3.

Hi. I know for a fact that is it 2k3. It's a pretty old video, and it's most likely pictures, not battle animations, which is a better method anyways.
Also, please don't limit my abilities. I've made a pixel movement linear ABS before and if I really had the time I could try an 8-direction or pixel movement ABS-just no scrolling. (You can see in the video, every map is a 20x15 map, because no one really can do scrolling.) However, if I were to do so, I would prefer to move to a different engine because even though I could stretch the boundaries of RM, RM is not suited for it at all. I've got several projects that I have to do anyways. It's a waste of time to try to do something like that in RM.

I'm saying it's better than most RM2k/3 ABS's, yes. tip: Most of them suck. AFD's looks much more playable than most of them, but it wouldn't match up to anything like... Terranigma or whatnot. And I am just trying to be nice... Some constructive criticism? I did comment on the fluidity of the monster's movement. Personally, I would clean up the HUD as well.

Also, wow, Rei, that is really nice. Pretty inspiring. Can't wait to play Ascendence when it's done, man.