SCREENSHOT SESAME STREET (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

AFrenchDreamer
plz send msg for internet grl shmoozing tipz
@Mary, I really like the font and I also like how you made the battle system side ways.

I wish I knew how to script like that! For some reason scripting seems so complicated to me....

<\O_O/>

EDIT: Yes! Just what I needed!
Why, thank you : )
Scripting a battle system really chews on your nerves, but you feel great if you managed it. ^-^
As for the font, you can have it if you like. Hit me with a PM if you want a link.
AFrenchDreamer
Here's some more from my upcoming game "Dream Saga."

I am showcasing the second boss of my game this time. He was completely programmed from scratch and is lag free.

These are the last videos i'm posting of Dream Saga b4 the demo release.

ENJOY......Kingdom hearts music ftw!

-Fighting Nightmares-

-The Boss: Nightmare Wraith- Lag-Free coding!

The Boss again using Dark Beam

NOTE: This boss weakness is his hands, just dodge his attacks and wait for him to rest his hands.

Alright, I hope you guys/gals enjoyed this. This stuff is a blast to play and I look forward to you guys feedback on it.
Damn, AFD. It's hard to deny that you are very skilled with rm2k3.

I can appreciate this for what it is (an eventing nightmare that looks pleasant and is quite smooth considering). Despite not having pixel-based movement, if you're able to cut out the lag between when the hero swings and when the enemy is hit, I think people will play it (at least those that know rm2k3).

I won't completely blindside you by saying that there is no degree of clunkiness that is innate with creating something that the engine wasn't intended for. That is to say, people who know nothing of amateur game making won't understand the effort involved in creating it, and will just see a Zelda-like game with very poor controls. But since you took the time to get this far, I'm sure you've already taken that into consideration (which is why Nightblade's comments are pretty pointless).

It's people like you that I strongly suggest to take things to the next level. When you're done with this project, try another engine that supports scripting. I'd like to see what you can make out of something with much wider boundaries.
Yeah, thats pretty much my opinion.

Some more things though, I personally think the pulsing of Nightmare looks kind of ugly, but thats your choice. I'd like to see numbers indicating how many of each item you have, thats the main thing.
You have the whole boss pattern mechanic down, but the UI is still pretty bad. Lower the size the health/mana bars and item screen, theres no reason they should take up so much space.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
It's been said several times but I guess he doesn't want to do it. The overall presentation isn't half bad but the the game mechanics look pretty boring.
post=108994
It's been said several times but I guess he doesn't want to do it. The overall presentation isn't half bad but the the game mechanics look pretty boring.

That's a pretty vague statement. Katamari Damacy looks boring, but it's fun to play. I don't think it's necessarily helpful to tell someone, "we told you to make your game look fun, but I guess you don't want to." That's why we try to emphasize playing people's games, so that people can get helpful criticism.
I haven't been able to code the zombies attacking or grabbing yet as I'm still thinking of how to do it! I finished the handgun & shotgun ABS, Strafing, Health HUD and I finished the Handgun HUD done. Phew... Still trying to code Burst and Full auto fire.

Yes rubbish video quality.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
holy hell, that was awesome. actual effective zombie fighting in rm2k3? sign me up.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
French that looks awesome. I haven't really played a 2k3 ARPG, though, so I don't know how it will play, but that looks amazing.

On a side note, what video recording software do you guys use to record gameplay?
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
post=109007
That's a pretty vague statement. Katamari Damacy looks boring, but it's fun to play. I don't think it's necessarily helpful to tell someone, "we told you to make your game look fun, but I guess you don't want to." That's why we try to emphasize playing people's games, so that people can get helpful criticism.

I was referring to Darken's post about the menu in that first sentence, the second sentence should have been seperate. The menu in that video is totally in the way but I guess AFD doesn't mind.

People have said that the game looks clunky and I agree with them. Compared to how fancy the bosses look the hero's movement aren't as fluid. That and fact that you only get one basic attack is why I said it looks boring.

post=109025
holy hell, that was awesome. actual effective zombie fighting in rm2k3? sign me up.
You will be pleased to know that there will be mobs of zombies in various places but not every where you tread, this is so that it allows you to explore a bit more freely than being cramped full of zombies, I'm also thinking of adding melee weapons.
AFD, you need a ranged attack... like terribly.
AFrenchDreamer
post=109031
post=109007
I was referring to Darken's post about the menu in that first sentence, the second sentence should have been seperate. The menu in that video is totally in the way but I guess AFD doesn't mind.

People have said that the game looks clunky and I agree with them. Compared to how fancy the bosses look the hero's movement aren't as fluid. That and fact that you only get one basic attack is why I said it looks boring.

@Arc: These vids come from the early beginning of the game and the hero starts out with nothing.....not even a sword. These videos are just a small taste of what all is in the game.

Later in the the game you will get spells, ranged attacks, skills, sword magic and of course multiple limit breaks. Over 30 specials all together.

And also all I was doing was attacking, but you can also block and dash. What was shown was just a small glimpse.

@The_Nackster: Ranged attacks come later in the game. ^_^
post=109007
post=108994

The funny part is when someone compared what many consider a masterpiece to a home made action RPG hodge podge of poorly implemented rips in an engine that doesn't even have diagonal movement.

It looks boring because there's far too much time spent simply standing there waiting for the enemy to put down his weak spot. Whether or not he's as helpful or not is irrelevant, you don't get to pick and choose what people say about your game and then whine when someone says something you don't approve of...

Hmm, looking a second time, maybe he said something about just the presentation, another fair observation as the hero stiffly walks around, giant weapon in hand. Usually when people fight with a sword of that size, they use both hands... They also hold the weapon in certain way.

The UI is still oversized, item use is still cumbersome, music is still badly chosen, and the resources still clash horrendously. "Looks good bro!" "I mean it looks good for what it is right!" (Whatever the hell that even means).

Garbage in - Garbage out.
@supremewarrior: I really like where your game is going. You really seem to have a good mind for what makes a zombie game fun (exploration/terror around every corner) instead of going for the "ENDLESS HORDES" route which is kind of stupid (since you can replace zombies with anything and have the same game). If you ever need a tester, I'm there.

@afd: I don't understand the choice of chipsets at all (since they are horrible). The boss fight doesn't look bad (I mean it looks terrible but it doesn't look bad in terms of actual mechanics). I don't get why the boss is pulsating, though. Is he some sort of gas balloon? WATCH OUT FOR BALLOONS! Also, the regular combat looks really bad. Sorry man, but moving up and down trying to get a hit with terribly sketchy collision detection just isn't good. Plus, it seems like the enemy hits you twice for every one hit you score. Maybe try using a two-tile radius for player hits instead of one to even it out. The HUD is also ridiculously big: the item selection could be a third as big, and so could the health bars. I am not excited.

@Mary: Yeah, that's better! There is still a lot of empty space, but loads less. Definitely a big step in the right direction.

edit: NB I think you should post a screenshot since I always enjoy them and this page is hurting for images
AFrenchDreamer
*Looks at last two posts*

Sigh....

Alright just for notes, I won't be listening to what was said in the last two posts (especially Nightblades).
I will also not be taking any of it seriously because you two are just trying to bash it.

But i'm looking forward to more "Constructive" comments.

@Nightblade: This is getting so old.......please stop.

EDIT: Nightblade omg you trolled my video on youtube! This is going too far.....but I will hold my tongue man you're just not worth it.
What the hell is wrong with what I said? I gave you specific suggestions on how to remedy pretty glaring errors in your ABS. You are the worst member. I am voting for you for worst member. There is no election or nominations but you can bet your ass you're going to be a write-in vote anyways.
hey guys am i due for an involuntary hiatus again? ;)