SCREENSHOT SESAME STREET (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Drakonais
Color seems fine to me.
from Tardis
I also don't think the ceiling tiles are that big a deal, like some folks have been saying.
from Lennon
It seems perfect to me.
from S.F.LaValle
Because the floor tile is so bright, the green doesn't bother me =)
from AFrenchDreamer
That green is very loud.
from Kaempfer
that autotile just doesn't look like a roof autotile. It is too noisy.
Hmm, it seems more think it works than it doesn't, but I'll try toning it down one more time.

from Tardis
What exactly is that red ball on the cone?
That's a tower switch. The red ball is a light bulb. You activate them by bumping into them, but that one's already on.

from Drakonais
OH SH!T ANOTHER POLYGON. THROWDOWN.
OH SHIT

Edit: top of page?! I'll post a screen once I've made the aforementioned adjustment...

Okay, let's settle this once and for all. It's the same screenshot as before, with the original above and the darker version below.

Does that help the loudness?
I was fine with it before, I'm fine with it after =)
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Personally, I think it's got more to do with the cross pattern than the actual colors; it's just so much more lively compared to the relatively simple floor and wall designs.
@halibabica: I don't see a difference...?

However, try increasing the thickness of the border around the edges. That would help a lot to differentiate the ceiling and the floors.
post=112128
post=112119
Your characters all
post=112113
HEY LOOK A VIDEO

Your characters look far too similar to one another (The first two and the last two look identical at first glance). The fact that they are clumped together rather close does the game no favors either.
I just took the easy way out for now and made them similar to each other. I may go back and adjust/make new idle animations for 1 out of each pair to differentiate. But not now. There are more important things to worry about as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks.

Weren't they were sets of twins?

If that's still the case, it would still be a good idea to separate them a little more. Also try to keep in mind while the first pair are twins, they are different genders; so unless it's a really feminine man; they shouldn't look too similar.

It's a good thing you trimmed down some of the fat from the early iteration this DBS, but I still notice a bit of excess flashy lights that really ruin the pace of the action. You can still have good flair without a 150 frame casting animation. Other then that, I hope the game's battles are a bit more intuitive this time around.
A boring screenshot, nothing all that exciting except...

Enemy and Ally join forces!?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
That system set looks horrid with four digits. Have you considered scaling the numbers down at all?
Having the HP to 999 Max? I'm afraid not, the only other solution is to change the systemset around a bit so the numbers is more visible.
Quick question Skie. For the guy with the bow n' arrows...
Is that... Is that Sonic's voice?
post=112310

No. It's custom. :|

post=112280
If that's still the case, it would still be a good idea to separate them a little more. Also try to keep in mind while the first pair are twins, they are different genders; so unless it's a really feminine man; they shouldn't look too similar.

It's a good thing you trimmed down some of the fat from the early iteration this DBS, but I still notice a bit of excess flashy lights that really ruin the pace of the action. You can still have good flair without a 150 frame casting animation. Other then that, I hope the game's battles are a bit more intuitive this time around.

Yeah, I will change them. Seems like a good idea now.

And yeah, I hope this new version of the DBS is more logical and easier to play.

What about those buffer areas the arrows point to? Are they used for something? If you're doing something with eventing, they can be moved, and the HP/MP/FP stat fields can be moved over to accomodate the first digit. Also, the actual little icons that say "HP," "MP," and, "FP," can be a bit thinner to give a few extra pixels.

I'm not sure what all is going into your design, but I think that being able to see all of the digits for all number fields is a higher priority than any design choice.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I just have a problem with watching 23378398798265726 damage go back and forth when 233 damage can have the same impact. :(
post=112311
post=112310
No. It's custom. :|

Ah, sounded sonic-like to me.
@hali:

Here, I made this in MSPaint. Do you see how the roof tile doesn't draw attention away from the playing space? This is DARKER not SLIGHTLY DARKER I GUESS.

I left the edges because I just copy/pasted the tile and didn't want to worry about filling in the edges. You can make your own mind up about leaving them brighter to denote edges or recolouring them in the same fashion.
halibabica
@Kaempfer: Ah, I'm actually glad you left the edges in there, as it makes a nice side-by-side comparison. But I feel I should point out that yours is also only slightly darker than mine. The brightest green in yours has a hue just ten below that of my own, though I noticed you also toned down the glowy white bits around them.

from KingArthur
Personally, I think it's got more to do with the cross pattern than the actual colors; it's just so much more lively compared to the relatively simple floor and wall designs.
This did occur to me. The crisscrossing lines are like natural eye-catchers. The difference in Kaempfer's edit is really noticeable, though, so maybe the pattern isn't such a big problem.

Now, it's not the same as Kaempfer's, but the brightest green is the same brightness as his. So, is it the white glowiness that's making it not work? That patch above the Water Door was left for direct comparison.
Actually I like Kaempfer's revision of it better just because I can easily tell the difference between the walls and the floor now. It looks loads more 3 dimensional.
post=112324
I just have a problem with watching 23378398798265726 damage go back and forth when 233 damage can have the same impact. :(

If you think that is bad, go watch some Borderlands footage.

Skie, that is really good. I like how fluid your animation transitions are. You really have mastered getting information registered in between the animation breaks. =)

I think the boss battle could be improved a bit, though. Are the element skills that the boss use a constant cycle? I noticed you were casting auras, but the boss would use an element spell that was different than the aura you casted. I don't know if that was your poor decision making, or if the boss skills are randomized (this would be bad if they are). Either way, I think a precondition would really help in determining what skill the boss is going to use next. Maybe make her flash a certain color to indicate what spell is going to be used, or have some type of charge animation showing her next attack. Oh, and I noticed that there is no indication on what aura is on your party members. How will we know when the aura has lost its effect in battle? The description of the skills don't state how many turns they last, and there is no glow or icon around the battle characters to indicate if the aura is still in effect. Adding either one of those (amount of turns it lasts or icon/glow) would really help in determining if an aura is still in effect.

Just some food for thought.
post=112336
The brightest green in yours has a hue just ten below that of my own, though I noticed you also toned down the glowy white bits around them.

Uh, what? I didn't apply any new colours to the image. Don't you get it? The problem isn't the COLOUR ITSELF it is the way it is applied. I just made it darker because that is personal preference. The reason I removed the white and thinned the lines is to make them appear more implied and less direct. The reason the pattern is less noticeable is because I changed the pattern to be a simple criss-cross (more or less I didn't give any work to the details). Your pattern is directional, so it is more distracting.

The main reason I left the border on was because the problem with the roof autotile is that it is just there and THERETHERETHERETHERE. There is no definition to the shape of it. It is just there, on top, and it has one black line to make it obvious it has any shape. In my version, the edges appear to be more important (which they are) because of the different, brighter colour.

Also those black balls on the top of the autotile are confusing to the eye and serve the opposite purpose as the intended one.
halibabica
Oh, whoops. Those black balls are usually hidden under the autotile. They block that extra square you can usually walk underneath, and aren't visible in-game. Anyway, I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'implied' and 'direct' as I really don't know anything about aesthetics. But the line thickness and the surrounding glow does seem to be the problem, so I'll fix those up like you suggested. Thanks for all your help.
post=112307
A boring screenshot, nothing all that exciting except...

Enemy and Ally join forces!?

Why not make the "HP" and "MP" block be "H" and "M" like old-school Dragon Quest, and move the part that shows three digits now over so it shows four?

Like this:

It has the bonus of the bottom part of the MP numbers not touching the bottom of the box.