THE MAIN CHARACTER AND HIS DYNAMIC IN THE STORY

Pages: 1
So, I noticed something interesting whilst working on my project. I have these characters who have tons of unique qualities and what not that (I hope) will make them quite memorable. Besides the fact that they have unique personalities, I've been focusing more on dynamics between party members than on the character itself, so everyone should blend together very nicely, but at the same time stand-out. However, I look back at my characters... and my main character is relatively dull.

So, I tried searching for games that had this same issue. I did find tons of games that were on the opposite side of the spectrum: namely Final Fantasy VIII, where the main character is the only interesting character, with everyone else being pretty dull. Although, I did manage to find one game that my game can sort of relate to. But, at the same time, it's arguably the best RPG of all time: Chrono Trigger. You have all of these wacky, memorable characters like Robo, Magus, Ayla, and Frog. But, then there's Crono, who's just there, much like my character, only my character actually talks. At the same time he's one of the most iconic RPG characters of all time. What traits should I try to incorporate that'll make my character stand out? I mean, the player plays as him, is that really all that's necessary? Or is there more to it?

To try and stir up some discussion, do your main characters tend to be fleshed out the most, with your side characters untouched? Do your side characters tend to be wacky, awesome, memorable, etc. with your main character just kinda there? Do you try and blend the two evenly?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I've noticed that silent protagonists tend to work - with me at least - when they're you. That is, when the majority of their actions and decisions are left up to you. The one thing I liked about Persona 3's ally AI (as opposed to the thousand things I hated) was that it distinctly sorted "me" and "my party" into seperate catagories. I wasn't playing as this group of four people in a dungeon. I was playing as the MC and had brought X, X, and X with me into this dungeon.

I hope that makes sense.
I prefer to use three set main characters. Two main characters who, though they share common goals and work together, are at different ends of various spectrums from each other. Ying and Yang, if you will, and then have a third main character to referee between them. Seems to work for me, even if it does sound a bit tried and tested.
LouisCyphre
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Reading that ^ was actually quite interesting
LouisCyphre
I aim to intrigue.

*bows suavely*
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
For some reason I'm leaning towards a 4 man party and there doesn't seem to be anything on that.
At TVTropes, you mean? There's Four Temperament Ensemble, but mixing and matching from larger or smaller groups probably happens more often.
I'm basically also using the 4 man party.

I just personally prefer it to having to choose which 3 of the 10 party members I will fight with today.

edit: that tvtropes article is pretty interesting. 3 of the 4 main characters in my game fit into those types. The only one that is not represented is melancholic(black bile).
Well these replies have nothing to do with the topic!

I don't find Crono very interesting, but he's iconic because in the end he is a total killing machine with a katana that we all grew up wishing we could be? He can shoot FRIGGING LIGHTENING? Yes please!

Silent protagonists are rarely interesting, but because they are silent nobody can really raise any argument against them. You're the one killing those stupid monsters, you're the one exploring that dank cave, you're the ones that is verbing those adjective nouns. And since they're not screwing it up with horrid dialogue or being whiny jagoffs the whole time, they come out on top in the player's eyes.

That's sort of the best way to make your "main" character really good. Just don't fuck him up. Everyone else can be awful, which will make the character look good by comparison, or everyone else can be great which will make the character look "normal and approachable" at worst. Or, you could make your main hero a total badass.
He needs to be overwhelmed with angst and carry a big sword.

...or what Kaempfer said. That's good too.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
My favorite silent protagonist is in Persona 4. You get to make real decisions that mean nothing and wield cartoon network-worthy swords (actually purchased off of an infomercial) while saving people. It sounds terribly corny but it WORKS. I almost cried when... you know. THAT happened.

I also liked DQVIII's silent protagonist. He actually did have a personality and character, but he only responded with body language (which says a lot!). He has his own personality, just like Trode, Medea, Angelo, Jessica and Yangus.
The issue is that while my character would probably be best going down the Silent Protagonist route, his backstory and motives and what-have-you are too important to the story. I'll probably just keep things as they are, and just build up his relationship dynamics with the other characters.
Silent protagonist worked for GTA 3.
post=107050
The issue is that while my character would probably be best going down the Silent Protagonist route, his backstory and motives and what-have-you are too important to the story. I'll probably just keep things as they are, and just build up his relationship dynamics with the other characters.

This is a good idea if you don't want to change anything dramatically. Just make sure that you keep it up: if he has a strong dynamic going with his fellow protagonists, don't let it slip, as it'll be all that more noticeable if he stops interacting properly with them. On the flip side, make sure that you don't indenture the player with twenty minute cutscenes every time someone opens their mouth in the sake of keeping the dialogues "real". Find a balance in between there, and it'll work.

post=107142
Silent protagonist worked for GTA 3.

Sort of. GTA3 was, though, almost a sand box in the way it worked, so the player had a huge amount of control. I think later protagonists were more memorable by far, after they began to speak. Rockstar is pretty good at putting you control of someone you can relate to in some way, even if you are totally alienated by the situation/character in the beginning.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
silent protagonist

</thread>
Pages: 1