QUICK THREAD - EFFECTS FOR A GAMBLER SKILL.

Pages: first prev 12 last
If this skill did at least half the things listed in this thread I would play the game just for that.
post=108002
post=107974
0 Shouldn't be nothing, as 0 is the most likely to occur. Make 0 a re-roll.
No. Each action has a 1/x chance of happening, where x = number of actions.

In the first post it says the closer to zero, the more likely. 0 is the closest number to 0(obviously), so that would mean that the most likely effect would be a miss.

@Chaos- That's not a very good compromise. If you have an equal amount of + and - effects, when you add in 0 the skill is more likely to back fire than it is to work. If I were you I'd put a slant on positive effects.

Oh, and there should be a number that causes 2 effects to happen instead of one(exculding itself, of course)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Bullet Pointsâ„¢

-Generating two other effects works.

-The way the effect is select is by generating a random number from 5 to -4, and then adding a random number from 5 to -3. Meaning the skill's slanted to the 2 to 0 range in actuality.

-Orig: WILD BOARS
LouisCyphre
THE FINALIZED EFFECTS
========================
10 - Halves all foes' HP.
9 - Restores the party's SP to full.
8 - Enemy's stats are reduced drastically.
7 - Player gets the option to full-restore both sides. If no, result becomes 6 instead.
6 - Restores the party's HP to full.
5 - All ailments restored.
4 - Restores SP to all allies.
3 - Restores half of each party member's damage.
2 - Party's offense increases.
1 - Party's defense increases.
0 - Double re-roll. (Nothing happened...!?)
-1 - Enemy's defense increases.
-2 - Enemy's offense increases.
-3 - Party goes berserk on the enemy that round. (Wild Boars)
-4 - Gambler begins to attract the vast majority of hostile actions. (Hardcore disco)
-5 - Gambler dies
-6 - Restores all foes' ailments.
-7 - Halves the party's HP.
========================

These are just what they actually do. Feel free to dress them up as Wild Boars or France-dropping as you see fit.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
-7 should be the rain of human femurs.
post=108247
7- Player gets the option to full-restore both sides. If no, result becomes 6 instead.

But given the option, I don't think anyone would choose number 7 over 6.
LouisCyphre
post=108249
post=108247
7- Player gets the option to full-restore both sides. If no, result becomes 6 instead.
But given the option, I don't think anyone would choose number 7 over 6.

Think SP/Ailments, LWG.
Or, of course, if you roll that the first turn of a battle and your party ain't feeling so hot. Who cares if the enemy party gets fully restored when you just encountered them and they were full health anyways?
I think it's pretty unlikely that this will happen on the first turn, given that the possibility is only 1/18. And if you want to fully restore before fighting a boss, you'd do that manually instead of gambling.

The chance that the number 7 will occur is probably during the middle phase of the battle, where bosses or enemies are probably dealt lots of damage already, so to fully restore them so that the party is fully restored seems like a very unbalance sacrifice to me.

Also, if the players accidentally select the wrong option and fully restore the boss, I'm sure they would be really really frustrated D: You could blame the player, but I think the punishment is too much and it should be designed to avoid such situation to happen.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
You forget, hima! Game design is about SADISM!
LouisCyphre
This guy knows what's up.
I'd suggest making the middle effects brief, and the ones on the end more drawn out.

You don't want someone sitting around for five minutes each time they get the 'roll again' function, but you don't want someone to miss the half-second blip of one side of the battle losing 1/2 HP, either.

Or maybe you do, cause you know, sadism.
Pages: first prev 12 last