ONE MORE NEWB

Pages: first 12 next last
Hey guys,

I'm a game enthusiast hoping to get a good/cool game out before 2012

I'm trying to make something that is action based i.e. Kingdom Hearts, Zelda series, Star Ocean...

If you guys have a suggestion on which engine I should use or if I should just go learn C++ and make an engine from scratch.

Focks
Some more info about yourself would be nice.
Anyways, welcome!
Ah dunno, interests, favourite food, hobbies. Info like this. : )
Welcome, you sound ambitious :)
Well, seeing as it's rpgmaker.net, i'd say give rpgmaker a go. 2003, XP or VX(people will disagree with which one you should use), but i'd say start with 2003(just wait for everyone to jump in and argue hahah).

Unless you're very clever with lots of free time, don't make an engine from scratch. That would be effooort.
Welcome Focksie.
Let me start by saying it's great that you have such huge ambitions for game creation. But take my advice and start out slower. Try out a regular turn based game first just to get a feel for game design, to work out your kinks and such. If you jump right into a huge project there's a good chance that it won't turn out as good as it could have been, and we wouldn't want that now would we?
Listen to what Ramza just said.
Thanks for the welcome guys!

the TL;DR version is at the bottom

I'm into music composition and theory, I play all kinds of instruments. namely piano, all saxes, flute, soprano clarinet, guitar, and a little bass guitar. I've got one acoustic guitar, one solid body electric (Italia speedster), one hollow-body (Gretsch electromatic G5120) and a Fender bass guitar. I've got a Roland TD-4 electric drum-set and a Yamaha DGX electric piano. yes this is a lot of instruments... and you may be asking: "What the hell are you trying to make a game for"? I'm hoping I could make a synergy of playing music and playing an RPG game.

I have always been fond computers and human interaction with them. I have experienced Macintosh, Windows, and Linux OS's. I have a Cisco CCNA certification from a course I took back in highschool. I wrote a virus that will force your mouse to open your win32 folder and delete every file in it. The virus was for a racist teacher who needed to be taught a lesson. Don't worry about receiving viruses from me, those days are over. Since then I've been trying to learn Java and C++ from scratch and I've failed numerous times. Hopefully I can take a course soon to help me be able to learn a programming language more fluently.

I'm into salty foods...Pizza Ramen, Steak, other kinds of mindless carnivore foods

My hobbies are revealed in my interests

TL;DR: I got a shitload of instruments... I actually want to be a geek....I'm a carnivore....lolimbad
post=108058
I wrote a virus that will force your mouse to open your win32 folder and delete every file in it. The virus was for a racist teacher who needed to be taught a lesson.
That sounds brilliant
I made a "virus" once. It was a VB app that looked like it was deleting every file in the WINDOWS directory. It was actually just reading all the filenames in there and displaying them as "Deleting...ocr32.dll" etc...

The app couldn't be closed. The cancel and X buttons did nothing.

I got the idea from a similar (much more sophisticated) prank app I saw.
So do I need to know any programming language syntax for these engines?

I really liked the images that Sphere was giving me but of course one of you guys will say "Nah brah don't do that one yet :P"

You don't need programming knowledge for the RPG Makers, but sum systems like ika require you to script everything. At least I think so.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
i have more instruments than you
post=108058
I'm into music composition and theory, I play all kinds of instruments. namely piano, all saxes, flute, soprano clarinet, guitar, and a little bass guitar.

goddamn you are fucking awesome
post=108102
post=108102

I'm glad cuz I'm doing more computer stuff these days.
btw, I'll ask the question to instill his memory (cuz i herd he liekz mudkipz) (and cuz i herd he left)

who is brickroad
Pages: first 12 next last