RM2K(3) LOVERS, FIGHT!

This thread is making a turn for the derail quite quickly... Not that there was much to discuss here anyway.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Yes. Back on topic:

This engine.

"I will reserve judgement until it actually shows something worthwhile"
Yeah this program does not interest me, come back when there is something to try out. Meanwhile I'll be making a game.
Fair enough.

The option is there for any who are interested. (Not any of you, of course.)

post=109750
You buy a copy?
post=109751
You purchase the Japanese version.

Also I want to stand on Pride Rock too. :<

As far as I know, the Japanese version of RM2k(3) has been unavailable for sale for quite some time now.
If you do have a handy link related to this, I'm sure some Rm2k(3) users would much appreciate it.

but, that aside, I was once told applying the illegally translated English RM2k(3) voids the legal agreement attached to RM2k(3).

Is that untrue?

If so, does that mean I have to learn Japanese to use RM2k(3) legally?
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
It means you're better off buying VX instead.

I can't think of much to say that hasn't been said already. If you guys can turn this into something more flexible than 2k/3 while maintaining its user-friendliness, then go for it. But don't expect unwavering support from the masses until you succeed. Hyping new programs that do the same stuff as existing programs doesn't work too well.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
FF7 has been unavailable for sale for quite some time now and people can still buy it.

post=109758

This too.
post=109758
Unless you prefer Rm2k(3). You cannot deny such people exist.

post=109759
FF7 has been unavailable for sale for quite some time now and people can still buy it.
FF7 has an official English version that can be found in offline/online game stores around the world.
RM2k(3) does not. It's very limited in availability.
Ebay Final Fantasy 7, then Ebay RPG Maker 2000/2003
This looks promising, but I'm done with RPGMaking.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Wait, it is hard to find 7 year old software? How bizarre. Coulda sworn they had made a new version by now.

Anyways, applying a patch to RM2k3 doesn't void anything.
post=109765
Wait, it is hard to find 7 year old software? How bizarre. Coulda sworn they had made a new version by now.

Anyways, applying a patch to RM2k3 doesn't void anything.

My request still stands. Where do I buy it?
THIS IS A STUPID ARGUMENT.

RPGVirtuoso, you are only serving to devalue something that, perhaps one day, will be pretty neat. So now, it falls upon my shoulders to save it!

I've been following this for a long time for one reason: It's programmed by someone who programs for a living and is doing it as both a project he is passionate about and as an outlet for his creative side. As a result, he has been making steady progress for a long time, and there is no reason he won't continue to do so. Unlike many projects which have a huge burst of steam at the start, he's shown longevity and an actual desire to work on this bit by bit until it's complete.

There are other reasons I am following it, as well, although that is the major one. Some of you will notice that he actually listens to feedback and responds directly, which means that once the basic engine is up and running anything reasonable that people want included will probably be included. From reading his blog posts and the forum itself, it really seems like he is doing this for a bit of a challenge, as well, to push the limits of his Delphi knowledge.

There is the added impact of it being a free, potentially more flexible engine that will support basic scripting in the future, which should be exciting for people who like the features of RMXP/RMVX but don't care for the resolution/drawbacks of it. For someone like me, who loves the 24-bit SNES era but acknowledges the brilliance of unlimited-sized tilesets and other such improvements RMXP included, it's very exciting.

Obviously there is no point in investing your life savings in TURBU (I really hate this name by the way!) yet, but there's no harm in dropping by the forum and saying hello and showing some support for it. And yes, I have tried in the past, but the forum ate my account and I was a little hesitant to try again. Still, I am excited.

I certainly understand withholding judgment until there is more to see, but the outcome would pretty much be my ideal RPGMaker and it's really showing a lot of promise, so far. Hopefully, my patience will pay off.
WIP
post=109771
24-bit SNES era
SNES had a 16-bit processor and displayed 8-bit color. Just saying...

Anyway, the problem is that every engine that pops up like this would be most everyones' ideal RPG engine. History is not on his side.

And honestly, just because he can import RM2k/3 games, what else can it do? Is it as flexible as RMXP/VX? As flexible as pure script engines like ika/Sphere/Verge?
post=WIP
post=Kaempfer
24-bit SNES era
SNES had a 16-bit processor and displayed 8-bit color. Just saying...

I'm referring to the 24-bit cart era that saw some of my favourtie games released, is all.

edit: 24+

post=WIP
Anyway, the problem is that every engine that pops up like this would be most everyones' ideal RPG engine. History is not on his side.

No doubt it isn't, but I'm perhaps less cynical. Like I said, there's no problem holding off getting excited, but it doesn't hurt to check out. After all, lots of people rally behind commercial games they think are going to be good and await them anxiously, only to find out they suck after they purchase them. I don't see the harm in showing interest. It is, after all, free.

post=WIP
And honestly, just because he can import RM2k/3 games, what else can it do? Is it as flexible as RMXP/VX? As flexible as pure script engines like ika/Sphere/Verge?

It probably won't be as flexible as XP/VX, to be honest, but I don't think that is the idea behind it. It's meant to replace Rm2k3 completely, so being able to load old games is a huge deal. Some people have been working on their games for years, and to suddenly now have the ability to get around all the stupid things that break parts of Rm2k3 is a big deal for them. They don't lose any work, they just upgrade to a more powerful engine that loses none of its simplicity.

It definitely won't be as flexible as pure script engines, but again, it's not meant to be. It's meant to be a better Rm2k3 with more functionality and active support, aimed at giving people who work with and are familiar with Rm2k3 (or people who like it, like me) more options without forcing them to switch environments.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
While the program looks interesting and has great potential, it was presented to RMN in such a haphazardly fashion that the potential high points of this software has been buried by unsubstantiated hype.

In the course of RM history, there were many programs announced that would build and expand upon RM one way or another. However, all of them died just as suddenly as they appeared. The RM community has learned and moved on: Don't bother supporting such software until the hype can be proven without the least of any doubts.

Rather than coming out for support, it'd probably be better for the software's reputation if it first completed itself before even announcing its presence. TURBU needs to make it clear it's different from its ill-fated cousins, and coming out for support like this is not the way to go about it.

As for the actual software, I'll wait until the fat lady sings to pass any judgment.
WIP
A drop-in replacement for RM2k3 would be neat. But again, fat lady needs to sing first!
WIP, you mentioned that if RM2k3's funky battle system was fixed a bunch of games would be instantly 10x better. This could be a solution to that.

Of course, my opinion is that of wait and see, too. I don't even bother with all the cool german patches for RM2k/3 or Aten's Goliath patch.
post=109778
While the program looks interesting and has great potential, it was presented to RMN in such a haphazardly fashion that the potential high points of this software has been buried by unsubstantiated hype.

That is why I have announced myself new TURBU spokesman at RMN. :D

post=109778
In the course of RM history, there were many programs announced that would build and expand upon RM one way or another. However, all of them died just as suddenly as they appeared. The RM community has learned and moved on: Don't bother supporting such software until the hype can be proven without the least of any doubts.

This kind of sentiment I really don't understand. Like I said earlier, it's not like he's asking for money or anything. How many of us can't spare a few seconds to check out the blog or post a bit of feedback? If you genuinely can't then that's entirely alright, but don't act like you are being asked to fall madly in love with this program only to have your dreams dashed. I can't... I can't be hurt again...

post=109778
Rather than coming out for support, it'd probably be better for the software's reputation if it first completed itself before even announcing its presence. TURBU needs to make it clear it's different from its ill-fated cousins, and coming out for support like this is not the way to go about it.

As for the actual software, I'll wait until the fat lady sings to pass any judgment.

How can you not comprehend that somebody might need to see some encouragement to finish something like this? It's a pretty large operation, especially for one person, and the only hype I've seen it's creator (I am 99% sure that RPGVirtuoso is not Mason Wheeler, it's designer) show is a brief thread asking for interest at GW a long time ago.

Let me just restate this because I think some of you are under the wrong impression: This topic wasn't created by the creator of TURBU. It's not a hype topic!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=109825
This kind of sentiment I really don't understand. Like I said earlier, it's not like he's asking for money or anything. How many of us can't spare a few seconds to check out the blog or post a bit of feedback? If you genuinely can't then that's entirely alright, but don't act like you are being asked to fall madly in love with this program only to have your dreams dashed. I can't... I can't be hurt again...

I ignore many RM* games simply because they 1) look bad or 2) are too ambitious. Pretty much all hobbies have poor track records for the average hobbyist to finish a project, but RM* has EPIC JRPG GO and a poor track record working against it... we don't have the time, energy or patience to promote more than a handful of things.
WIP
I realized very quickly he was not the creator, Kaempfer.

As for encouragement, where is my encouragement? I am currently working on ika, which has a very capable editor, engine, graphic capabilities, etc. But I am not getting anything from you. Why is that?
Would it really hurt you to take a few minutes and post some encouraging thoughts on the ika forums, check out some games, and so forth? I don't think I've ever seen anything from you on the ika site.
WIP needs an ika champion.