"SELLING FEATURE" OF YOUR GAME

Pages: first 123456 next last
I was just wondering what feature of your game you "sell" when you try to promote the game. Do you sell it on the story, characters, a neat game mechanic, a graphical style? Or is there some specific content in the game that you feature above the rest?

As a tangent to this, where do you post your games?

I have 3 games that I actively promote: Hero's Realm, Generica, and Hellion. For HR, I stress the "oldschool" nature of the game - that it tries to take you back to the yesteryears of RPGs back in the early SNES or late NES era. But my hook is definitely the worldmap. It is easily the most visually arresting feature of the game. I mean, "oooh, here's yet another lame RTP game. Whoopee. How many lame games like th......Wow, that's a crazy awesome world map!" is how I hope people react.

For Hellion and Generica, I use the obvious NES Dragon Warrior style to hook them. With Hellion I then try to sell the WRPG design and with Generica I try to sell the nostalgia.

For the most part I promote my games only at RM sites, and really only here. I also happen to post my games at GW and RRR and a few others and check them sporadically.
My game's features are having a CBS, a CMS, a CIS, a PFMGS (pointless fishing mini game system), and the characters having stats.
post=110378
My game's features are having a CBS, a CMS, a CIS, a PFMGS (pointless fishing mini game system), and the characters having stats.
Oh you!
Well the only features of my game so far that I currently actively "sell" is the battle system and the characters. My CBS is a personal challenge to myself as I always wanted to create a grandia-esque CBS in RM. As for the character design, I hope for someone to be like "Hmm, a somewhat chubby and mature jrpg main hero? That's different.."

The features I've planned out are very interesting and will definitely by a scripting challenge, but like most RM games they're currently nothing more then mere ambitions until I have something to show for.

I only plan to promote my RM game to an RM related site. Currently the only 2 places I advertise the game is here and Charas forums. To the majority at GW, RM as a whole is dead; so there's really no point going there. Once I have more to show I might branch off to Crankeye or Blade2k..
I will probably try and "sell" my game on the graphics and the overall polish of my game. I am painstakingly going and making everything interactive that I can, including NPC's. So I hope that the fact that it is a Vx game, and that it has been made with so much care will eventually garner some respect.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=110378

YOUR CHARACTERS HAVE STATS

why do people always rip me off

---

Diablocide will hopefully sell to the not-community as a kick-ass dungeon crawler where you control fourteen characters at once in epic battles. Also, the story freaks me out so I guess I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping people love the second release/post reviews saying "I WAS MOVED."
Craze
why do people always rip me off

Phhhht, I've taken this 'characters have stats' creed and gave it an ol' bitchslap by eliminating stats! In fact through liberal application of a giant cleaver I have reduced it to "stat".
(until somebody looks under the bed and finds where I stashed them)

ANYWAYS I am completely incapable of any sort of marketing, but I'm going to keep on being a faggot and blame that I don't release anything (except Demon's Gate) and when I do there really isn't anything exceptional or something that stands out to sell (see Demon's Gate). This is what happens when you don't have any sort of scheme vision!
Hey guys, does anyone know what game I'm working on?

NOPE HA HA

I intend to keep it that way until I release a demo at which I hope my winning personality will convince people to play it.

edit: to sum up: zero hype
Mine being one of the very few comedy games with a real storyline?
Story and characters for all of my games. That's all I have going for me.
post=110425
Mine being one of the very few comedy games with a real storyline?

CORPORAL BUGGY BEAR!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Do you like having your ass handed to you?
I attempt to sell story, for that is what a game almost is; an interactive narritive. The best games have the most intriguing, fascinating stories... although graphics help in narrating the story. The message does not travel well when elements in the game, such as illustrations and sound, are already holding another meaning to you when told in a whole different scenraio... thusly, the best stories are told from nothing to begin with.
I only plug here, it seems natural. Every once in a while, I consider making a flash animation to plug my game on Newgrounds (with an extended cutscene that adds depth to the backstory), but I'm waiting until TS is nearer to completion.
My selling feature is probably the battle system or multiplayer support.

For other people's games, the most important selling feature to me is an interesting story or a cool setting.
AFrenchDreamer
plz send msg for internet grl shmoozing tipz
High quality ABS, Skilled coding, Exceptional Music, Huge boss battles, and a great storyline. Thats my games selling (Downloading) points.
Ideally, I'd love for the characters to be the main selling point, but I know in reality it's the original graphics.
I don't know what's the selling point of my game. I guess I just try to present it as well and succinctly as possible, and let the players decide that for themselves.
I'd like to think it's the story, since for the most part, the graphics are standard, and the coding is pretty average. The musical score used to be a selling point that I would plug all the time, but the guy who composed all the music for me left the community many years back to persue a career composing for films, swanky job, that. Anyways, while it's awesome, I'd have to say storyline, interaction between characters, and character development would be big on my list of selling points.
Pages: first 123456 next last